free shotgun?

free shotgun?

This is a discussion on free shotgun? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Dad was cleaning out the attic recently and came across an old shotgun he forgot(?) he had. It now lives with me Being an handgun ...

Thread: free shotgun?

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar

free shotgun?

Dad was cleaning out the attic recently and came across an old shotgun he forgot(?) he had. It now lives with me
    Being an handgun girl I don't know much about it and I'm hoping somebody here can give me some info on it.
    Dad bought it used in the late 60's and never fired it. As far as I can tell the previous owner(s) never fired it either, it still has an inspection sticker on the trigger guard.
    Here is what I do know:
    WesternField M550AB
    12 guage pump
    chambers 2.75 and 3 inch shells
    26 inch barrel
    "C-lect choke"

Help, what do I have, and what is it worth?
    Bird gun or home defense?
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    I had a Westernfield .22 as a youth back in the early 60's. I bought it at Montgomery-Wards. I've heard Mossberg actually made the Westernfield brand which of course hasn't been produced in decades. In new condition that shotgun could be worth something due to it's scarcity and condition. With the 26" Bbl. and choke, I'd say it's a bird gun.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Administrator
    Yes, its a bird or rabbit gun. Keep it as is.

It is a M.W. version of the Mossberg, and was made in the late 60's or 70's. It isnt worth a ton, but it is a peice of Americana, and IMO, that makes it worth a bit.

I'd guess its worth 2-250 assuming its in perfect condition.
    "Just blame Sixto"

RugerGirl:

Be VERY Careful. That model of shotgun was VERY defective and I would suggest you get rid of it as soon as possible.

Please send me a private message and I will give you my address. I am very experienced in the disposal of dangerous shotguns.

I will handle it for you.

VIP Member
    Yep, looks like a M.W. Mossberg.

Check this out...........

Montgomery Ward Firearms
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Very nice find Rugergirl!

Now you have a reason to get into skeet shooting!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Administrator
    Ithaca, Savage/Stevens, Mossberg, Winchester and others all made firearms for Montgomery Ward.

Nice find.

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    Very nice find Rugergirl!

Now you have a reason to get into skeet shooting!
    Uhm, well actually two reasons, about a month before this one he gave me his old JC Higgins 12 gauge pump, that I took skeet shooting a few days later.
    I was kinda surprised he forgot he had this one, hey I've got 8 handguns, 1 rifle and now 2 shotguns in the house and I've never forgotten about 1 of them. I mentioned(while ducking) that in his advanced age and his forgetful state, maybe I should help him clean the attic. I wonder what other goodies he's got stashed away
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rugergirl View Post
    I mentioned(while ducking) that in his advanced age and his forgetful state, maybe I should help him clean the attic. I wonder what other goodies he's got stashed away
    If you need any help.............................
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyBunny View Post
    If you need any help.............................
    Oh, I'm pretty sure I'll manage OK on my own, but thank you for the kind offer
    Sadly Mom hadn't forgotten about her Belguin made Browning Nomad and the extra mags she has for it.

Administrator
    If you could find a nice sweet old Colt Single Action Army up there in that attic you could pay off the mortgage.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

It is indeed a mossberg, a clone of the 500, stamped with the westernfield logo, I have a 7mm from 1979 that is marked the same way, go thru mossberg for parts if it ever needs any.

Nice find, obviously.

And a bit off topic Rugergirl...
    Having taken care of my mom for several years in our home, let me compliment you on having your dad live with you...
    So many of our 'elders' are dumped in a home without visits. I am glad to hear of your dad being with you. Bravo!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Nice find, obviously.

And a bit off topic Rugergirl...
    Having taken care of my mom for several years in our home, let me compliment you on having your dad live with you...
    So many of our 'elders' are dumped in a home without visits. I am glad to hear of your dad being with you. Bravo!
    Dad doesn't live with me, er, yet anyway. He and Mom are both in reasonably good health for their ages, and currently live only 4 doors away.
    That said it the time ever comes that they need full time assitance it will be in their home or mine, with me as the caregiver. We are very close and like-minded with common hobbies and interests. Dad and I are two peas in a pod, always have been. There are often times hubby calls me "Frank" when he wants to joke about how much alike we are.

Links