Thread on this forum got me thinking...

This is a discussion on Thread on this forum got me thinking... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I was reading the thread 7.62x51mm vs. 308 and it caused me to recall a question I have. I didn't want to hijack the other ...

Thread: Thread on this forum got me thinking...

Thread on this forum got me thinking...

I was reading the thread 7.62x51mm vs. 308 and it caused me to recall a question I have. I didn't want to hijack the other member's thread so I posted this one. Can you fire both out of a Springfield Armory M1-A or is there risk of damage to the rifle/ injury to the shooter? Thank you for your responses.

2. Remove Ads

I think that is one I would ask directly to the people at Springfield Armory. They are the ones that built it, and they are ones that should anything happen will be deciding if they will honor their warranty or not.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

As I understand it, this is the opposite of the 5.56/.223 issue. Where a .233 can be fired in a 5.56, the reverse is not true.

In this case, because the allowable chamber pressures of the .308 are higher, a 7.62 can be fired in a gun chambered for .308, but not the other way around.

But I agree wtih MCP1810... check with Springfield, they built it.

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    .308 vs 7.62x51mm

While the 7.62mm NATO cartridge has a maximum chamber pressure of approximately 50,000 psi, in the SAAMI book the .308 Winchester has a MAP (maximum average product) pressure of approximately 62,000 psi* (each by conformal transducer measurements, and therefore comparable). This is not to say that all .308 Winchester loads will develop such pressures, merely that they would be within manufacturing tolerances if they did so. Firing .308 Winchester ammunition in a firearm specifically chambered for the 7.62mm NATO risks damage to the firearm and injury to the shooter.
    From The Gun Zone
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

Links