The Colt " M-4 ".22 long rifle.

This is a discussion on The Colt " M-4 ".22 long rifle. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; With the recent price rise in ammo and the occasional unavailability of it, I decided to do something that made lots of sense. I broke ...

Senior Moderator

With the recent price rise in ammo and the occasional unavailability of it, I decided to do something that made lots of sense.

I broke down and bought a the new Colt M-4 .22 which is basically an AR clone that is a dedicated 22 built from the ground up. For those that aren't aware of it, heres a pretty good writeup with lots of pictures, so I wont waste time duplicating it.
    Coltís New .22 Long Rifle M-4 Carbine

So far, with a bit less than a 550 round box through it, I can say is that its lots of fun. So much fun in fact, that it is really hard on ammo. The .30 round mag that comes with it is easy to load, my biggest gripe is that it just doesn't last long enough.

Since I believe that ANY semi- auto needs more than one mag, I went ahead and bought another. I was surprised just how fast one could put two mags through this gun, all with out fail.

The nice thing is that it is accurate. Very accurate. I put an el cheapo Chinese read dot scope on it and the first group at 25 yards was one ragged hole.

After adjusting point of impact on the scope, the next group at 50 was less than an inch, but this was with a full mag of 30 shots.

I'm seriously considering putting a 3x9 Scope on it and taking it to the squirrel woods. Think of the look on the local game warden when he sees that! Since I know him well I can hardly wait.

For training purposes I think it'll see a lot of range use. For the most part the operation is the same as any AR, other than the mag release not working, its just there to look pretty.

It's close enough to the real thing that most people will never notice that it is not. About the only give away is the ejection port and the slot in the mag if you leave it in. Best of all...its cheap to shoot, will hit whatever you aim at it, recoil is slim to none and it has a maximum cool factor.

It doesn't get any better than that.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Administrator
    Congrats! HotGuns. That is sweet.

"I was surprised just how fast one could put two mags through this gun, all with out fail."

A few more extra mags would solve that little problem.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    I hear ya on the ammo thing. I've learned my lesson and got a .22lr pistol and rifle for training and fun.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

Senior Moderator
    The real beauty of it lies in the fact that while I was messing with it in my living room, my wife never even noticed that it was a new gun.

Just one of the advantages of having several guns that look alike!

No explanations, no disapproving looks or anything like that.No conversations of why I have so many guns when I can only shoot one.

This could become my new favorite possum/squirrel/skunk/armadillo/crow/coon/all around dirty deed gun.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

Lead Moderator
    Cool, sounds as if it was built a bit more sturdy than the MP-5 clone GSG-5. does the charge handle work like a AR? How does the mag release?
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Administrator
    Hey Rocky, I was playing with one today. Everything works the same as a normal AR. The trigger was horrible on the one I had, but I'm sure it would clean up nicely.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    Thanks for the review. I'll pass, already got a .22lr bolt conversion for my AR. My conversion, however, is not that accurate. It shoots more like 4 inches at 50 yards and 2 feet at 100!

It is great not feeling guilty about shooting as much as you want without regards to the cost of .22lr.

Senior Moderator
    Ditto the trigger. Its about the only negative to the gun that I have seen. I will have to work on that somehow. I guess I'll have to figure it out.

I thought about getting a conversion kit at one time, but they just arent that accurate due to the twist and less than optimal chamber setup. The dedicated uppers are a lot better in that regard, and I thought about getting one. Having fondled the Colt gun sometime ago, I figured to heck with it all , I'll just buy a gun built from the ground up.

I actually thought about the GSG clone, but the fake suppressor setup on it was pretty mickey mouse,so I passed.

One other thing. There appeared to be NO lube on this gun anywhere. I went ahead and sprayed the bearing areas with Gunzilla and it appeared to work great. I had read several articles about being FTF and FTE in the first few hundred rounds and the gun definatley requiring a break in period. The Gunzilla may have averted that as I had NO issues with the gun right out of the box.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

Our local sporting goods store received a shipment of both the Colt M4 22 rifle and the Colt "tactical" verion, the Ruger SR22 and the S&W M&P 15-22 rifles last month. After handling the guns and doing some checking around the internet for reviews of both the S&W and Colt (couldn't find anything on the Ruger but I'll guess it's as reliable as any Ruger 10/22), I bought the S&W. FYI, I liked the Colt Tactical model of the .22 and considered buying it. It was almost exactly the same as the S&W but metal. However, it was almost $200 more than the 15-22 and at least a pound heavier due to it's metal construction.

There are those who will argue the point, but I personally prefer the S&W's lighter weight polymer construction vs. the all metal of the Colt. Extra weight might be okay with a larger caliber gun to help control recoil but all these guns shoot the .22LR. Since there is literally no recoil to deal with I prefer a lighter gun. The standard factory rails and the fact that it was $125-$150 cheaper than the Colt M4 were another big selling factor. It has a MSRP at the S&W site of $500 but I walked out the door with my new M&P for $450. Something else that was nice for me is I already had a lot of extra parts from an AR that I'd sold a number of years ago. So along with some rail covers I had sitting around, I was able to add a carry handle and vertical grip at no extra cost.

I've shot about 250 rds during my two trips to the range with the M&P. It was just as accurate and reliable as my old Ruger 10/22 and I'm able to do a lot more with it as far as customizing than I ever could with my old 10/22. Even my youngest son (10 y/o) was putting most shots into a 6" circle with the iron sights at 50 yds with the gun after a few practice shots and he was having a blast... literally! Much like the original poster said about his new Colt, this gun is just plain FUN to shoot! At 5 lbs the S&W is light but with it shootng the mild .22LR, there's no recoil so it is nice not having to deal with recoil when my kids shoot it. There are also no non-functioning knobs or buttons (a fake forward assist for example). You can swap out the M&P's trigger assembly with any standard AR match trigger if you feel the need along with the stocks while the rails accept Weaver based and picatinny accessories. It will also accept most aftermarket pistol grips as per S&W. Also, according to several different reviews I read the barrels are high quality "match grade"and made by Thompson-Center. While this isn't exactly a true AR inside, it's close enough that those who have a "real" AR will be familiar with it's parts and functions. All the external controls and switches are in the right place as well. In addition, with the adjustable stock and it's light weight, my wife & kids can shoot it just as easily as me and my kids won't outgrow it like they have several youth model guns I've purchased for them in the past.

As I said, I looked at both the Colt and the S&W and for my purposes, the S&W M&P 15-22 was the way to go. OTOH, if you want something closer to the classic M4/M16 in looks and feel or simply like metal over polymer you may want the Colt. There will be those that prefer one over the other, but so far I VERY happy with my newest S&W.
    "... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Hey Rocky, I was playing with one today. Everything works the same as a normal AR. The trigger was horrible on the one I had, but I'm sure it would clean up nicely.
    The trigger sounds about as bad as the 10/22 I have. Might have to pick one up (the Colt clone). I considered the GSG but it sure seems cheap.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Sweet. I'd jump on that except I got the GSG-5 before the Colt was announced.
    The Colt is better looking.

Nice looking AR (I guess), cheap shooting, and looks deadly accurate.
    Congrats!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Links