Can the airlines say, "No!"?

This is a discussion on Can the airlines say, "No!"? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I think I already know the answer to this. Lately I have been traveling a lot and have taken my firearm wherever there had been ...

Thread: Can the airlines say, "No!"?

Distinguished Member

Can the airlines say, "No!"?

I think I already know the answer to this. Lately I have been traveling a lot and have taken my firearm wherever there had been state reciprocity for conceal carry. So far, I've had no problem when declaring my firearm with the agent. A few agents had seemed perplexed at first. However, flying home last night I thought, "Can an airline refuse to ship my firearm?" I would be in deep kimshi on some occasions if I had to either take the firearm back home or have an FFL ship it back.
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Eccl. 10:2

2. Remove Ads

airlines are privately held companies, they have the right to refuse any "Hazardous" material or property?

I suppose it would depend on how ppicky they want to get.

Not to mention the bad publicity they would get once word got out they were anti-gun
    HAPPY NEW YEAR
    INFIDELS

They are at the mercy of the ticket agent. I think the training includes, "When in doubt, make something up and stick to it." Most times you will have no problem, hunters declare weapons all the time. It's that one time that will drive you nuts.
    Don't be afraid to ask for a supervisor, and always print the airlines gun regulations before you go to the airport.
    "But you see here, your policy is to allow that!"

Quote Originally Posted by Guns and more View Post
    They are at the mercy of the ticket agent. I think the training includes, "When in doubt, make something up and stick to it." Most times you will have no problem, hunters declare weapons all the time. It's that one time that will drive you nuts.
    Don't be afraid to ask for a supervisor, and always print the airlines gun regulations before you go to the airport.
    Do this...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

My understanding is that airlines will allow transportation of firearms provided they are declared and locked in separate baggage. However, each Airport TSA may have different rules e.g. NYC being the most notorious. Hence in addition to checking with an airline be sure to contact TSA at Departure and Destination Airport.

Distinguished Member
    Now that is smart!
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Eccl. 10:2

Quote Originally Posted by Guns and more View Post
    Also print out the TSA regs, keep one set in your suitcase and one in your laptop bag/carry on.

Some have even suggested printing out the hand book/law of the state you are traveling to.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

If you are not willing to stand behind our Troops, feel free to stand in front of them!

-Paco

USA 3000 - Maybe

At one point in the past I did an analysis of domestic airlines that fly out of MCO (Orlando) regarding firearms in checked luggage.

USA 3000 at that point indicated it would not accept firearms per the then FAA (now TSA) rules.

Just checked their website, and can not find any mention. Emailed their customer service to see what they say.

Will advise.

No other domestic USA airline, as far as I know, bans firearms in checked luggage outright.
    Last edited by GHFLRLTD; September 22nd, 2009 at 10:26 PM. Reason: Minor spelling error
    George H. Foster
    Orlando, Florida

VIP Member
    I've never had an issue, even flying Air Canada.

Just do your research before booking and choose your airline accordingly.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Links