Handling a firearm at a gun shop - Page 3

Handling a firearm at a gun shop

This is a discussion on Handling a firearm at a gun shop within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I will not accept a firearm unless it is action open, magazine out. If the clerk tries to hand it to me in any other ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Handling a firearm at a gun shop

I will not accept a firearm unless it is action open, magazine out.

If the clerk tries to hand it to me in any other condition, I politely ask, "can you lock that slide back for me?"

I've never had a gun store guy get mad yet, not that it would matter.
    fortiter in re, suaviter in modo (resolutely in action, gently in manner).

Distinguished Member Array maxwell's Avatar
    I used to work in a gun store and we never kept the clips in any of the guns in the counter. And when we would show a gun to a customer we would always open the slide or leave the cylinder open and show the customer that the chamber was empty. And when they handed the gun back to us we would check the chamber or the cylinder.

Quote Originally Posted by maxwell View Post
    I used to work in a gun store and we never kept the clips in any of the guns in the counter. And when we would show a gun to a customer we would always open the slide or leave the cylinder open and show the customer that the chamber was empty. And when they handed the gun back to us we would check the chamber or the cylinder.
    +1, most all the dealers I can remember purchasing from do it the same way. I have to actually ask for the mag to inspect it for quality. I've only made one purchase at a gun show and the mag was with the pistol.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Its up to you. What is your point?

Quote Originally Posted by ExactlyMyPoint View Post
    ...At this point, do you feel compelled to check the gun again to verify it is not loaded or was that sufficient?
    When teaching a firearm handling & safety course as in 'Basic Hunter Education' we instructors teach students a method for just such an interaction.

The rule is upon receipt of _any_ firearm from _anyone_ (including an instructor) as anywhere (including in class) is to:

A) Upon putting hand to firearm state to the transferee; "Thank you!" while looking them in the eye to confirm receipt and thus possession.

B) If not performed prior (most optimal!), do a manual tactile check of the bore to check for a casing. Use your smallest finger/pinky to do this. Not all casings are brass colored. Others do come in _black_ and any under dark light can be difficult to see.

Do not simply assume, as the recipient, that a handguns ejector is functioning properly and that it's clear because you saw it being racked as otherwise...

DEA Cop Shoots Himself

And always chamber check _any_ gun to ascertain it's condition rather than assuming that it's empty...
    YouTube - dad almost shoots cameraman son

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Senior Member Array justherenow's Avatar
    I always check for myself. I have offended a couple of people who thought me doing it was my way of saying I did not trust them, I told them if it upset them, then I was sorry, but I like to be safe.

Back when I was new to firearms, I bought a cheap .22 pistol. A friend who was also new to them, me and our wives went to the shooting range. We shot my Glock, his Beretta and the .22. Got back to my house, he asked to see the .22, I check it, handed it to him and he asked if it was unloaded, I said yep, I checked. I just did a quick visual inspection. He decided at the last second to check for himself, it sure enough there was a round in the chamber, and it was us, our wives and our kids all in that room. It could have been very bad. I blamed the .22 for not having a slide lock, I paid over 200 for it that day, the next day, i sold it for 50. I realized how quick one of those kids could have been killed and did not ever want to see that gun again.
    --------------------------
    Gen 4 Glock 32 .357sig and SW M&P 15/22
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Those who trade liberty for security have neither. ~John Adams

Quote Originally Posted by ExactlyMyPoint View Post
    He then handed me an LCP so I could test it out. I am standing directly across the counter from him. He takes the gun, releases the magazine, pulls back the slide and shows me the chamber is empty. He then immediately hands me the firearm.

At this point, do you feel compelled to check the gun again to verify it is not loaded or was that sufficient?
    Always. If anyone gets bent or offended by that ... tough.

My safety is my concern. From the moment I touch a gun, everyone else's safety is also my concern. It's a rule that doesn't go out of style.

Anytime I pick up a firearm, I feel compelled to open it up and double-check for myself that it's clear. If I don't, then we don't have a two-person system in place, which is by definition less likely to catch any problem. Particularly in a gun shop setting, where staff are very used to doing this all day long, I would MUCH prefer to double-check it myself. I mean, why not? No harm, no foul ... and we both help keep things safer.

Recall the checklist in larger aircraft, in which the pilot and co-pilot double-check that the list is done properly, as it's done. 'Cause if you fail, you fall out of the sky. There is no room for error, just as with firearms.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Yep check it period!!!!

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    At this point, do you feel compelled to check the gun again to verify it is not loaded or was that sufficient?
    No. I'm satisfied.

You can never be to safe.It pays to double check.

If it's checked right before it's handed to me...visual and manual check...fine with me.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I developed the habit of checking it myself. I'm convinced that many a unloaded gun have discharged, sometimes with terrible consequences. I don't want that happening to me.

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    You should always check even if it's an exercise in futility. There's no such thing as "too safe" when it comes to firearms.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links