Handling a firearm at a gun shop

This is a discussion on Handling a firearm at a gun shop within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Went to the gun shop to pick up my new AR-15. ( Ya, thread coming.) While I was there, I also wanted to check out ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Handling a firearm at a gun shop

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar

Went to the gun shop to pick up my new AR-15. ( Ya, thread coming.) While I was there, I also wanted to check out a few things. One was an IWB holster for my LCP.

He showed me a holster and let me try it on. He then handed me an LCP so I could test it out. I am standing directly across the counter from him. He takes the gun, releases the magazine, pulls back the slide and shows me the chamber is empty. He then immediately hands me the firearm.

At this point, do you feel compelled to check the gun again to verify it is not loaded or was that sufficient?
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    If you could clearly see the chamber was empty, probably. Me I'm just one to double check, even when I unload one of my own guns I always check twice.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

DM2
    I'm new to firearms. I have my CPL, but I am still researching my short list. I'm planning to make a final decision in late October.

When I go to a store, they do the same thing and without fail, I will pull back the slide and drop the magazine to clear the firearm myself. I figure I'm just developing good habits. I even had a store employee compliment me on the fact that I cleared the firearm for myself.

Rule #1, a gun is always loaded, even if it was just checked. It can never hurt to error on the side of safety.
    DM2
    "I did the thing I feared the most. Excuse me while I cheer. Now here I stand a stronger soul and all I lost was fear." ...Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by ExactlyMyPoint View Post
    At this point, do you feel compelled to check the gun again to verify it is not loaded or was that sufficient?
    It's usually sufficient for me if I can clearly see the empty chamber and the magazine is not reinserted.

Quote Originally Posted by Rugergirl View Post
    If you could clearly see the chamber was empty, probably. Me I'm just one to double check, even when I unload one of my own guns I always check twice.
    +1 i always check it, doesnt matter if someone else does or not..... for me i WILL always check.
    XD9sc
    Ruger LCP 380
    NAA 22 mini mag w/holster grip
    S&W 38 model 10
    NRA member

VIP Member
    IMHO, I'm responsible for my actions. That means that I personally inspect every weapon that I handle. It costs nothing and shouldn't offend anyone. Somewhere along the line I started putting my finger in the breach to check for the round (in addition to visual inspection). That trick saved my bacon once when I was coming off a night patrol and my eyes just weren't working.

What I was expecting you to say was that the dealer pointed the gun right at you. I can't tell you how many times a licensed dealer has done that to me.

Cheers.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ExactlyMyPoint View Post
    Went to the gun shop to pick up my new AR-15. ( Ya, thread coming.) While I was there, I also wanted to check out a few things. One was an IWB holster for my LCP.

He showed me a holster and let me try it on. He then handed me an LCP so I could test it out. I am standing directly across the counter from him. He takes the gun, releases the magazine, pulls back the slide and shows me the chamber is empty. He then immediately hands me the firearm.

Yes, he would have if it was the other way around.

When I worked at a gun store we always handed the weapon over with the slide stop engaged. Granted that the weapon had one, which the LCP does not.

It always a good idea to check, especially before dry firing. We had a guy come in looking for a holster for his Hi-power, talking to our manager gun in hand. With his arms crossed he had the weapon pointed at my coworkers chest. Now this is normally not cause for alarm since we get unloaded weapons pointed at us all hours of the day (another can of worms I'll get into later). Long story short, for whatever reason he decided to rack the slide and a live round hopped out. Needless to say, we weren't amused.
    Kimber Pro Carry II
    SIG Sauer P229, 238, Mosquito
    Beretta 92FS
    Custom STI 1911
    Glock 17 Gen 3
    NRA LIFE MEMBER

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    What I was expecting you to say was that the dealer pointed the gun right at you. I can't tell you how many times a licensed dealer has done that to me.
    This guy was one of the best I have seen. VERY conscientious and competent clerk.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Always check it 3 times, just to make sure I didn't miss anything the first 2 times.

+1 to checking it yourself.

Since my the Marine Corps issued me my first weapon, it has been ingrained (some would said beaten) into me that one ALWAYS checks a weapons when they pick it up, or it is handed to them.

I have had one dealer take issue with me clearing it myself after he did, saying it "was bad for the gun" to be handled that much when it was unnecessary. Needless to say I don't shop there now.

I have had many dealers give me knowing smile when I did it - I believe it lets someone know that you are serious about gun safety and how to handle a gun.

If it makes them feel otherwise, you might not want them to be handling guns near you.

Always recheck, unless it's open when I get it. It's my money on the line if it's somehow loaded. It's a good paranoia to have.

Answer your question with a question.

Which would make you feel more stupid, double checking a firearm just handed to your or having an ND with a gun you THOUGHT was empty?

Is it worth the extra 5 seconds?

I would prefer them to hand it to me with the slide locked. But if I could visually see the chamber when he checked it, usually that's good for me.

More often than not, I'll give it rack and visual check again if handed to me with a closed action. It doesn't take but a moment to perform a check and it keeps your good habits ingrained.

Do it the same way every time and you don't have any surprise Booms!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

The one thing I am anally retentive about is checking the condition of a firearm being handed to me.

That extra time to check could be what prevents me from having an unexpected loud occurance.

Biker

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links