To all the Winchester Model 70 devotees out there...

This is a discussion on To all the Winchester Model 70 devotees out there... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I really, really want a Winchester Model 70 for deer hunting. I currently use a Marlin Model 336 30-30 that I have had since I ...

Thread: To all the Winchester Model 70 devotees out there...

I really, really want a Winchester Model 70 for deer hunting. I currently use a Marlin Model 336 30-30 that I have had since I was 13 years old. I took my first deer with it when I was 13 in fact. It has served me very well but I find myself being drawn to the model 70 for some unknown reason. (I really don't care what the reason is in fact )

So, I am asking any and all Model 70 lovers out there in DC land to fill me in on what to look for when buying a used model 70. I really love the look and feel of the Monte Carlo stock. Again, just what I am partial to.

I will admit it, I have never owned a bolt action rifle so I am a bit of a noob when it comes to them. So any info would be a great help.

Teach me oh great bolt gun Professors!
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Well I love my model 70 in .300 WSM, But I have 2 others I like better.
    I put my Ruger 77 just above my Remington 700 BDL. I can't type well enough to throw out 3 paragraphs why. I think you will be very happy with any of the three, so if you come across a great deal on on the Ruger or Remington I would take a good look at them.
    Good luck on your search
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Administrator
    The main thing is the bore. Make sure it is bright and shiny with no rough spots. Also, make sure the bolt locks up nice and tight. Be very careful with modified guns... like stay away from them. Dont fall into the Boss system trap, you dont want it.

Good news is, the vast majority of 70's out there havent been shot much at all, so they are in good shape.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I find myself being drawn to the model 70 for some unknown reason
    Perhaps because it is known as the "rifleman's rifle".
    America: Your government is not ignoring you, it's insulting you.

The Bill of Rights: Void where prohibited by law.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy W.
    Perhaps because it is known as the "rifleman's rifle".
    +1 on that Andy!

Mike, You can read a little history on the Model 70 here.

It's a good rifle. I always wanted one. Kind of a Marine Corps history thing.

However if I were to buy another bolt action today, I would probably opt for something else. I'd still like to have a model 70, it's just further down on the list these days.

I have only one bolt action rifle presently.

A Belgium made FN Mauser 98 in .30-06. It has been a great deer gun and I just had it reblued and the stock refinished last year. I got it used for about $120 almost 15 years ago and it has served me well and taken a lot of deer.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Administrator
    Look for a vintage Winchester pre-1964 Model 70.

I'd stay away from the post '64 Made In Japan Winchester rifles.

Go to gunbroker and search "Winchester 70 pre-64"

I have two, both in 270 Winchester. One wood the other synthetic stock and both are zeroed in with the same hand load 130 grain Nosler bullets.

Both are feather weight, new pre 64 action style, and including Leopold scope, and sling they weigh less than 7-lbs.

While the older pre 64 actions are wonderful if you can find one, back in the mid 90ís by popular demand Winchester started producing the same action again, and both of mine are that.

Both have been custom tuned for accuracy, with a free floating barrel, glassed in action, trigger job, and machined matched barrel to action.

The wood stock one will on a good day place three bullet holes inside a dime at 100 yards, while the best the synthetic stock will do is a quarter.

With the two Iíve taken 75-100 head of game,(Iíve lost track) including numerous boars, deer, one wild desert mountain ram, one wild mountain doll ram, elk, and an axis.

Having a light weight rifle allows one to not grow weary as fast over a dayís hike, and having a very accurate rifle, allows the hunter to have confidence in the place his bullet will hit.

I looked at one at a gun store and the guy said the post 64's were junk?
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Quote Originally Posted by varob View Post
    I looked at one at a gun store and the guy said the post 64's were junk?
    I think it's just a matter of opinion. Yes, they did change from the controlled feed to the push feed to reduce manufacturing cost, making it more like the Rem 700 bolt citing an improvement with the extractor, and to be able to compete with the 700.

I do know there was a lot of demand for the old pre '64 controlled feed bolt to the point that it prompted them to start making it again as the Model 70 classic.

My personal choice is based more on nostalgia and would get a pre '64 or a classic with the controlled feed and claw extractor. I do think the pre '64 cut checkering on the stock would be better too.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Thanks for all the info guys!
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

hbc
    TN Mike..

I own several nice centerfire rifles: 2 Brownings, 1 Remington, 1 Savage, and a post '64 Model 70 Winchester Featherweight in 7mm Mauser. My Winchester is my most accurate rifle. Another poster mentioned putting 3 shots inside a dime at 100 yards. That was no exaggeration. My Winchester produces such tight groupings, too. The advice about checking for a nice, clean bore and a solid bolt lock-up is right on the mark. Good luck with your shopping.

The only other thing I can add is to make sure the muzzle crown is not dinged up as this will affect accuracy. The triggers are very easy to adjust on the Model 70 as well which is a really big plus but you should make sure someone hasn't butchered it. With the safety off, work the action and close the bolt rather forcefully to make sure it doesn't cause the gun to "fire". Also with the safety on, try pulling the trigger to see if it fires. Try this in the "mid" position of the safety lever as well. If any of these cause the gun to "fire", I would pass on it. It may just have the screws set too light but it also may have been tinkered with beyond that so I wouldn't risk it. Don't hesitate to get one of the new FN made Winchesters either as they are really getting rave reviews on other forums I frequent.

I have a LH Featherweight in .270 WSM that is scary accurate and my best with it so far as been nine shots in under an inch. Not saying your 336 isn't accurate but once you start shooting a bolt action, you'll most likely become a convert. They really are phenomenal rifles, just make sure you get one that has the pre-'64 features.

Links