Im so proud of my boys

Im so proud of my boys

This is a discussion on Im so proud of my boys within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Ive been teaching my boys how to shoot and handle gun safety for a while now, they are 9 and 10 yrs old. The other ...

Thread: Im so proud of my boys

Im so proud of my boys

Ive been teaching my boys how to shoot and handle gun safety for a while now, they are 9 and 10 yrs old. The other day we were at the range shooting 22 rifles and walther handgun, when I decided to take the 223 cz out of the truck. They really wanted to shoot it so I let them anyway they were shooting at gatorade bottles at 200 yards and they couldnt miss, it was one of the prouder days of my parenthood.
    "I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."
    - Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

Dang! Gatorade bottles @ 200 yards. That's some good shooting at any age.

I'm gonna take a guess and say they were 2 liter bottles right?
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

I have two boys also, 13 and 10. Like you I let them use my 22. I am considering buying a 223. Is the kick that much more then a 22? I figure my 13 year old could handle it, but not sure about the 10 year old.

Not to hijack the thread with this, but maybe you could answer this question also. The range I go to is 25 yards max, and I also shoot at my in-laws but that's about the same distance. Is it too short for a 223?

Senior Member Array 2ndsupporter's Avatar
    Awsome day at the range!

Makes a Dad proud, way to go!
    [One Nation Under God]

Good job when they start out young learning the lessons are deeply seated in their mind.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by rmilchman View Post
    I have two boys also, 13 and 10. Like you I let them use my 22. I am considering buying a 223. Is the kick that much more then a 22? I figure my 13 year old could handle it, but not sure about the 10 year old.

Not to hijack the thread with this, but maybe you could answer this question also. The range I go to is 25 yards max, and I also shoot at my in-laws but that's about the same distance. Is it too short for a 223?
    That can be taken two ways...
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by rottkeeper View Post
    That can be taken two ways...
    I guess it can be. Either they boys are bad shots cause we keep going back to my in-laws, or we are shooting at targets in their yard.

I leave it to you to choose the proper answer.

Quote Originally Posted by rmilchman View Post
    I guess it can be. Either they boys are bad shots cause we keep going back to my in-laws, or we are shooting at targets in their yard.

I leave it to you to choose the proper answer.
    Nope I'll give an example of what I was talking about.

"Well we shot at my in-laws today and I'll be danged if we missed them both''.

Just a play on words is all I'm saying.

NRA Member

Wait until they start outshooting YOU some late afternoon as the light is beginning to fade. It happened to me when my son was only slightly older than yours. We were handgun-shooting charcoal briquettes off a log at ~25 yards. I (squinting) could hardly see 'em. He laughed as he powdered all 7 of them in rapid succession. On that day, in that moment, I knew I was no longer the uncontested Mac-Daddy handgunner in our clan. It was great! Sobering...but still great. Enjoy those eagle-eyed, coordinated little sharp-shooters.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by rottkeeper View Post
    Nope I'll give an example of what I was talking about.

"Well we shot at my in-laws today and I'll be danged if we missed them both''.

Just a play on words is all I'm saying.
    I understood, I guess my response just didn't show it.

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    Wait until they start outshooting YOU some late afternoon as the light is beginning to fade. It happened to me when my son was only slightly older than yours. We were handgun-shooting charcoal briquettes off a log at ~25 yards. I (squinting) could hardly see 'em. He laughed as he powdered all 7 of them in rapid succession. On that day, in that moment, I knew I was no longer the uncontested Mac-Daddy hangunner in the clan. It was great! Sobering...but still great. Enjoy those eagle-eyed, coordinated little sharp-shooters.
    I think I'm at that point. I was complaining to my 10 year old that the sites are off. He picked it up the rifle fired a few shots and said "nope, it's you".

I hope they can outshoot me someday and yes I agree it will be very sobering about my age and eyes. Also to everyone wondering about the kick of the 223 my 9 year old is kinda scrawny but wiry and he shoots it no problem.
    "I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."
    - Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

I hope they can outshoot me someday
    Trust me, it's not a matter of hope. It's just a matter of...time. As for recoil, if he's like my son, shooting was such an enjoyable thrill that even if the rifle pounded a blue puddle on his shoulder he'd never so much as mumble a complaint. You'd never know it unless you saw the bruise on his way to the shower! I wish you & your boys much happy empty brass.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Sponsored Links