Sweat and ammunition

This is a discussion on Sweat and ammunition within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; For average regular target or commercially manufactured defense or 'military' cased ammunition (shotgun shells excluded) there is no reasonable and physical round construction reason to ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sweat and ammunition

For average regular target or commercially manufactured defense or 'military' cased ammunition (shotgun shells excluded) there is no reasonable and physical round construction reason to expect that humidity, a drop of perspiration (!), or even being splashed never mind submerged in water would render the ammo to be non-functional.

It takes a long time for brass and steel to corrode through and through, even when exposed to sea water.
    And aluminum generally does not corrode at all outside of being exposed to highly acidic (higher than human sweat) concentrations. This latter item is well known and documented in the auto industry with aluminum alloy rims and drivetrain components; including _aluminum_ radiators, blocks, and heads that are permanently exposed to water concentrations. They generally do not corrode through and through.

BTW brass does oxidize over time and when exposed to water, but that is not to be mistaken as being corrosion.
    A wholly different matter and functional concern.
    Any former Coast Guard, Navy or Marine as well as a commercial sea man can comment same.

I see this topic comes up a lot on gun forums as a what would happen if theory item.
    But never have I seen anyone actually report real world an actual problem for same.
    Heck I think what I may do myself is stow two rounds each of my own ammo; .22, 9MM, 45, and .223, all being commercially manufactured in a jar of 1) water and 2) brine salt water for a time period (say one week) and see/show what the real world functional results are.

I'm all in on both will fire as expected and at if not near normal as dry FPS, without an issue.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

2. Remove Ads

I also tested a bunch of ammo, submerged ammo for up to 5 weeks in Hoppes #9, some in salt water, others in CLP. All of the centerfire rounds fired fine. A few rimfires failed, but not all. I used everything from premium JHP to range FMJ and RNL.

VIP Member

Here I thought this thread was going to be about sweating out get/having enough ammo

Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Quote Originally Posted by Superhouse 15 View Post
    ...All of the centerfire rounds fired fine. A few rimfires failed, but not all...
    That result makes total physical/mechanical sense considering that .22LR have a very light press fit projectile, thanks to a thin and weak casing.

The bullet on most average rim fire can be removed by hand with just a bit of twisting effort.
    Not so much for any centerfire round I've ever seen or heard of.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    Thanks for the answers

You're welcome.

Janq, I expected all the rimfires would fail, as well as the lead bullet centerfire loads. It was a great experiment. I was wrong, too. It was WD40, not CLP in the other jar.

The CG uses SIG P229 DAK and I believe we use Federal HSTs (Or hydrashok, not too sure). They will get damp/wet somewhat often and we have no issue firing the old hollow point ammo every six months at weapons qual.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links