Need help for Elk rifle - Page 2

Need help for Elk rifle

This is a discussion on Need help for Elk rifle within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; First, we don't know the conditions your friend will be hunting in. 1) Open fields, low attitude, not a lot of walking, possible long shots, ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Need help for Elk rifle

Distinguished Member
    First, we don't know the conditions your friend will be hunting in.

1) Open fields, low attitude, not a lot of walking, possible long shots, here a Rem 7mm mag would be great. Not a punishing kick, flat shooting, and delivers good ft/lbs of energy. This would work well on elk, and not be overkill for deer. Other good calibers, 270, 30-06, 280, 300win.mag, all just plain vanilla, but all very capable. 338 is a great all around gun, but can be hard on the shoulder.

2)Heavy cover, lots of trees, lots of walking, higher attitude, range limit of say 250 yards. For this hunt, find a "ultra-lite" gun, it will have a 20" barrel at longest (won't catch tree branches as easy while carrying it over your shoulder) and be much easier to carry up the long mountain climb. Here a 30-06 is about the best choice, a magnum needs a 24" barrel to achieve full velocity, so stay away from them, and in a ultra light, a magnum will kick like a mule. In a 30-06 stay away from the 220 grain loads, as most will be a round nose, and lose velocity easily.

As for the gun, find any bolt action, with a synthetic stock for $600 or less and you will be fine.

The glass---spend at a minimum $250 better yet $400.00 Stay with the 3 x 9's (most bang for your buck)

If you end up with a 30-06, Hornady makes a "light Magnum" load for the 06 that is like adding a turbo, if they shoot well in your choice of gun, it would be a good load.

Sight it in for 3" high at 100 yards, learn the load and know the gun.

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

Use the beater.

It's only one hunt and he knows the gun.

I would NOT put my money on 30-06 Remington Core-Lokt ammo. Shooting it in my gun (Remington) at 100 yds it might hit 6" to the right, then the left, then high... so we were trying to figure what was going on. Changed ammo.... it shot perfectly. Tried the Core-Lokt again and the bullet was all over the place. Switch back to 3 other ammos, and no issues what-so-ever with them. That told me I"m not using Core-Lokt ammo again.

Distinguished Member Array mathewsman's Avatar
    winchester m70 in 30 06 put a Leopold scope on it and use Winchester ballistic silvertips
    NRA sence 2003 Colt defender Taurus .357 mag
    Taurus tcp x box gamer tag mathewsman

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    I would NOT put my money on 30-06 Remington Core-Lokt ammo. Shooting it in my gun (Remington) at 100 yds it might hit 6" to the right, then the left, then high... so we were trying to figure what was going on. Changed ammo.... it shot perfectly. Tried the Core-Lokt again and the bullet was all over the place. Switch back to 3 other ammos, and no issues what-so-ever with them. That told me I"m not using Core-Lokt ammo again.
    I've shot 1.5" groups with Core-Lokts at 100 yds with Rem 700. So your present rifle doesn't like them - doesn't mean his won't, or your next rifle won't. A lot of game has been and will be taken with them.

Quote Originally Posted by nedrgr21 View Post
    I've shot 1.5" groups with Core-Lokts at 100 yds with Rem 700. So your present rifle doesn't like them - doesn't mean his won't, or your next rifle won't. A lot of game has been and will be taken with them.
    You are correct, they may shoot fine in some guns, just not in 2 of mine that I"ve tried them in. But, I could not recommend them based upon my experience with it. The Winchester silvertips, do great.

He needs to try any ammo he plans to use, before he goes, and make sure what he picks actually works and shoots well in his gun.

That's one of the great (or frustrating) things about rifle shooting. Each one likes what they like. I've seen identical rifles from the same manufacturer in the same caliber shoot totally different sized groups with the same loads. When recommending (or not recommending) a certain type of ammo, a certain load, or a specific bullet you can make honest evaluations based on terminal performance that you have observed on game but you can never make a blanket statement about accuracy. What one rifle hates, another may shoot one hole groups with.

I recently bought 1000 of the Midway Dogtown bullets for my new .204 Remington 700. Wouldn't shoot worth a darn showing 2 1/2" groups at 100 yds. Gave some of my loads to my shooting buddy who was at the range with me and his Savage .204 shot a 1/2" group with them. Same case, primer, powder and powder charge but with a Nosler bullet shoots one ragged hole out of my Remington. It's all a matter of finding what your particular rifle likes best.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    I've had the same experience, though I know others whose rifles like the factory core-lokt, none of my rifles do.

My .308, .30-06, and 7mm-08 will shoot them at somewhere around 2 1/2" groups at 100 yds. My 30-30 does ok with them, but 1 1/2" is a good group with them in the marlin and I've not tried them in my winchester. Other factory stuff will shoot close to moa and some will shoot sub-moa. Just not the Rem CL. (or any Hornady light magnums that I've tried)

I love core-lokt bullets, they perform well on game, they are cheap, and they will shoot accurately with the right load. I use them in my reloads and can get the bullets to shoot sub-moa, but there is just something about the factory stuff that my rifles don't like.

Luckilly all of my rifles pretty much like the Federal Power-Shok line in the blue box and it's usually cheaper than the core-lokt anyway. A box costs the same or less than buying just the brass to reload in some cases. Heck, I get 1 1/2" groups with those at 100yds with open sights from my 16" barreled Winchester trapper. That's as well as I am capable ofshooting with open buckhorn sights, and it's good enough to kill bambi.

Like Hoss said, it just depends on the rifle. If you don't reload, you just have to keep trying different factory loads until you find one or two that your rifle likes. That's not hard to do as long as you stick with commonly available cartridges like .308 Win and 30-06 Sprg, but it can get expensive.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

I think the best idea is to get in to a rifle that is going to be for more than just the application of the elk hunt. I think the .308 is an excellent flat shooting round. The '06 is a good all around caliber, but is a little too much sometimes. I am not a big fan of buying a caliber just so you can brag about what abig bad bullet you are launching. I personally like the Winchester Model 70. The pre-64 type action is the best by far. I personally like the .270, mine makes me look like a professional marksman with 130 grain Sierra Game King BTSP. However, that being said a .30 caliber simply makes a bigger hole which is always good. I think the .308 is the best all around compromise for all things considered. I also use Nikon glass...Monarch to be exact and it is a very good buy for the budget.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Another vote for a Savage in .30-06 or .308; other contenders would be .270 or 7mm-08.

The Savage is a good quality rifle for not much money; put some serious money into the glass...3-9x40 is plenty, get a solid top-end Nikon or Leupold VX-III, or, for a little more, the Trijicon Accupoints are incredible scopes, and that illuminated reticle is an awfully nice feature if one needs to shoot in less than optimum light conditions.

I'm pretty sure I could walk into my local shop and put together a Savage + Accupoint for close to $1100 ($6-700 for the scope, 3-400 for the rifle); put a good Nikon or VX-III ($300-500) on it, and easily less than that.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Haven't used it on elk, but my 700CDL in 30-06 is wickedly accurate with Hornady 165 gr BTSP Light Magnum rounds. Got a Zeiss Conquest on it which is good for anything up to 300 yards in my book. Sighted dead on at 150 yards so anything from 100-250 is almost dead aim.

I seasoned the barrel with those light magnum rounds and took a nice Uvalde (south Texas) 5 year old buck easily. Several other hunters had their 300 WSM's and their bucks ran but those Hornady spun mine around and dropped him in his tracks. It does have a serious muzzle blast (per the other hunters about a mile away) but the recoil wasn't any worse in my estimation. The Light Magnums give you the same energy at 100 yards that the standard 30-06 has at the muzzle. As little as I shoot, I don't see any damage to the gun or my shoulder. Just another option.
    SE Texas Patriot Guard Rider, NRA Patron, TSRA Life Member

6.5x55 Swede....that's what they use for large game over yonder, and it's what I'm going to use again this year for my big buck. 140gr A-Max is wonderful. Best kept secret because when you say it, others laugh. Well, I say go ahead and let them laugh. I can load a 160gr SP in this cartridge. Ballistic coefficients are awesome.
    The 6.5x55 Swede

ntg
    Go with a .270, a 7mm-06 or a 30-06...that is all you'll need.
    Good options: Browning x or a bolt are good. Remmys are good but people often have to do some work to get it to shoot real good. Savage, Howa made (the Howa or Weatherby Vanguard) are good quality, great accuracy, and great prices in comparison, IMO.

Another Swede

From RamRod
    6.5x55 Swede....that's what they use for large game over yonder, and it's what I'm going to use again this year for my big buck. 140gr A-Max is wonderful. Best kept secret because when you say it, others laugh. Well, I say go ahead and let them laugh. I can load a 160gr SP in this cartridge. Ballistic coefficients are awesome.

I've got 2 swedes that my dad bought over 40 yrs ago. Have taken plenty of mulies, but I've wondered about the effectiveness w/ elk. I'll be putting in again for a tag this year and hope to get drawn for next fall for elk. Not in the budget to upgrade the rifle, so I'll be using the 6.5x55. Any experience w/ the swede on animals larger than deer.

TOF
    270, 06, 308 any of them will do the job quite well.

I have taken a number of Elk, Deer and other stuff with a Winchester Model 88 in .308 over the past 48 years. Didn't have to track any of them.

If buying new you might as well get a short action which means .308 from the 3 listed.

The .308 using Winchester Super X 180 Grain Silvertip's is what will get my family's Elk this year.

3 to 9X optics are more than necessary. I prefer fixed 4X.

Good luck.
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." - Thomas Jefferson

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links