Need help for Elk rifle - Page 4

Need help for Elk rifle

This is a discussion on Need help for Elk rifle within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; It sounds like your friend is not much for gun collecting, so I would say that he would be well served for all around deer/elk/antelope ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    It sounds like your friend is not much for gun collecting, so I would say that he would be well served for all around deer/elk/antelope with a 30-06 or one of the 7mm magnums. The bullet weight doesn't have to be heavy. Many times a mid weight bullet, for caliber, at higher velocity and a well made bullet(perhaps something like a Swift A-frame, Barnes tripple shock, Winchester failsafe,etc.) If your looking for a new reasonably priced rifle, consider a Savage. They are probably not as popular as other brands, but they are quality rifles with good barrels. My dad has a Savage 110 and it is a real tack driver. This gun was bought second hand too. I also wanted to reply to the unenthusiastic responses to the 338 Magnum. I have a Remington 700 with a light synthetic stock and a Nikon 3x9. This is a fairly light rig with a lot of punch. I'm not suggesting it for the beginner shooter. Sure it has the approximate recoil of the 300 Winchester mag, but if recoil is not too much of a problem, this is a truly versatile rig. There are bullets in the 180-275 grain range. I have hunted and shot whitetails and hunted and shot caribou with it at short and long ranges with bullets in the 180 to 225 grain range and it worked wonderfully. It was also very accurate. It is not, as others have metioned, a meat waster. I don't know about them but I prefer to shoot my game through the heart/lung area. I and most people I know don't eat much of that area. I also have read countless articles from gun gurus attesting that the 338 Winchester just might be the perfect elk rifle and I'm a believer. And if you want a gun that can put down moose, brown bears, and even lions, with ease, this is your rifle. All things considered though, if your friend does not shoot much and/or is recoil shy, he would probably be better off withsomething in the neighborhood of a 270 Winchester or better. You have to be able to envision the size and girth of this animal. Watch a cd of a hunt and imagine how immense they are. Decide how far your shots might be and what he can shoot acurately. Truly, after all is said and done it comes down to bullet performance and shot placement. Well, I wish you the best of luck with your purchases and good luck on your hunt. Remember to always be safe, but have a GREAT TIME!

Quote Originally Posted by Ghuqu2 View Post
    He has an old Mongomery Ward beater 3006 that he was thinking to take as backup. Is that over kill?

Thanks for the info!
    I would use that gun, provided it checks out and shoots well.

He can go here and find out who made the gun

Montgomery Ward Firearms
    Current collection: Too many according to the wife...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links