Ruger 10/22 models?

This is a discussion on Ruger 10/22 models? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So I am pondering the possibility of getting a Ruger 10/22. Everyone ought to have one, right? However, there seem to be a bewildering variety ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ruger 10/22 models?

Ruger 10/22 models?

So I am pondering the possibility of getting a Ruger 10/22. Everyone ought to have one, right? However, there seem to be a bewildering variety of models available. I'm just looking for a plinker and practice gun, nothing fancy. Should I just go with the basic model? Maybe get the stainless with synthetic stock? One of the higher end models?

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Wasabi's Avatar
    Check this site:

RFC Home

All the info that you'll ever need. Good luck with your future addiction.

I'm in the exact same boat as you. Looking for my first 10/22 and have absolutely no idea which model to get.

So I got no advice for ya. Will be watching this thread for suggestions myself.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Administrator
    Get the basic model. Save the money up front because they are just so fun to tinker with.
    "Just blame Sixto"

SIXTO, that's what I've been leaning towards. I can always add my own bull or carbon fiber barrel, stocks, optics and trigger groups, one thing at a time in the future.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    SIXTO, that's what I've been leaning towards. I can always add my own bull or carbon fiber barrel, stocks, optics and trigger groups, one thing at a time in the future.
    IMO, that is the smart way to go. The Ruger bull barrel really isnt all that great compared to the aftermarket barrels available for the same money.
    I built 10/22's for extra money in college. I got a pretty good reputation for doing so. The combo I built the most was the simplest and cheapest. I used a Butler Creek .720 barrel and a Hogue overmold stock. Most often I topped them with a Bushnell 3x9. I have kept one for me, I use it for stationary squirrel hunting. This inexpensive combo will hit aspirins at 30 yds with ease using CCI green tags. Hardly a high end rig, but it out shoots most peoples ability.

Anyway, total cost for the set up is less that 3 bills if you shop the parts right. Of course, you can keep going and spend tons of cash if you want too.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Just get the target model up front. I think you'll be more happy with it. Then modify when you feel the need. Better balance for off hand shooting IMO.

Heres mine, almost finished save for a forthcoming trigger job. Makes ragged hole groups all day long.
    Attached Images
    Kimber Pro Carry II
    SIG Sauer P229, 238, Mosquito
    Beretta 92FS
    Custom STI 1911
    Glock 17 Gen 3
    NRA LIFE MEMBER

I'd suggest a basic model in stainless and synthetic. More durable in the long run and just as easy to customize.

Quote Originally Posted by Rangemaster View Post
    Heres mine, almost finished save for a forthcoming trigger job. Makes ragged hole groups all day long.
    Welcome to Kidd Innovative Design

Kidd Innovative Designs two stage match trigger. I have one. Absolutely, positively, the most amazing trigger I have ever felt. Drop in replacement. You won't be sorry. Mine is set for 1 1/2 pounds first stage pull with a barely perceptible bump stop and 8 oz's after the bump stop to break the remaining .001 inch sear engagement.

I like nostalgia so I got the carbine 10/22 with wood stock. First upgrade was the Kidd trigger.

I second RFC, great info on 10/22's. As for which model, if you already plan on modifying it, just get the cheapest model since all you are paying for is the receiver. That's what I did, then I put on a Hogue Overmold stock and an ER Shaw bull barrel. I also did my own trigger work for free, and now have about a 2.5# pull. The SS receivers are just painted stainless, so I wouldn't pay the extra $50 when you can get the same thing with a $3 can of spray paint.

All that said, if I were buying a new one that I wanted to keep stock, then I would get the stainless model with the synthetic stock, but only if I didn't plan on upgrading anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackeagle View Post
    So I am pondering the possibility of getting a Ruger 10/22. Everyone ought to have one, right? However, there seem to be a bewildering variety of models available. I'm just looking for a plinker and practice gun, nothing fancy. Should I just go with the basic model? Maybe get the stainless with synthetic stock? One of the higher end models?
    Since you say you're only looking for a plinker and practice gun, I'd suggest you go with a stainless model preferably with a synthetic stock. I'd suggest stainless so that if you do decide to modify it later on, you'll already have the stainless receiver. Synthetic stock to reduce the weight.

If you were looking at a high end model, my suggestion would be different. I have a close to $1000.00 in my 10/22 and if I were to build another one today, I think I'd just get a complete rifle from Kidd Innovative Designs. I can get a complete rifle from them for not much more and have the best of everything.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

ntg
    The 10/22 is a good setup. I own one, that said, I got my dad a Rem 597 a few Christmas ago and it shoots better than my stock 10/22. I like the fuller length stock on the 597 more is a part of it. You can get the 10/22 in a sport length (non-carbine) stock however. The 597 is less $$$, they seem to have the initial magazine bugs out of it, and there are now a good number of aftermarket parts for them (if you have to mess with your gun). I'll probably get a 597 the next time I'm looking. My 2cents.

I went and bought the plain jane wood stock blued barrel model. topped it with a 3-9x50 cheap walmart scope and have been a happy camper ever since. I have put nearly 1500 rnds thru it in less than 6 months. if it wasn't so dry out and didn't have picky neigbors, i would prolly have 3 times that throught it. it is just a downright fun gun to shoot.

I have done my own trigger work and am in the 3.5# range right now. would love one of those kidd trigger groups, but free is a better price for reworking the stock trigger parts. took all that info off rim fire central too. great resource for doing your own work.

This thread inspired me to take a little range trip. I'm pleased with the results:
    Attached Images
    Kimber Pro Carry II
    SIG Sauer P229, 238, Mosquito
    Beretta 92FS
    Custom STI 1911
    Glock 17 Gen 3
    NRA LIFE MEMBER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links