Firing pin removal

This is a discussion on Firing pin removal within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Does anyone else remove the firing pins from their guns that sit in the safe that you do not use for self protection (like hunting, ...

Thread: Firing pin removal

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar

Firing pin removal

Does anyone else remove the firing pins from their guns that sit in the safe that you do not use for self protection (like hunting, sport shooting etc)? You know, just in case they do get stolen for whatever reason, they are basically inoperable. I've heard of some people doing this when going away on long trips.

Pro's and cons of this?

2. Remove Ads

Sounds like a good idea in theory.......or is it? Do thieves test fire the guns they steal to make sure they work before they sell them? I kinda doubt it. How many times have you bought a gun at a shop or from somebody and made sure it had a firing pin? I'm almost sure the stolen firearms will be paid for with or without firing pin the first time. This may shorten the life expectancy of some thieves, but that's really not our concern here. Makeshift firing pins can be made easily, and parts can be ordered with a bit of time and effort or your stolen firearms could be run through a chop shop and rendered as parts guns.....they will be worth something either way. Biggest concern after having firearms stolen should be your records of serial numbers, and a report to the proper authorities before your firearms are found in someone's trunk, or at a crime scene.......with or without firing pin.

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    Well I figure your average criminal doesn't know crap about guns. If they take it and it doesn't work like you mentioned they will just pawn it off. It would be easier to trace that way. It's my understanding pawn shop owners have to keep records of guns they receive, and anything with a filed of serial number they have to refuse by law. In addition it may save a life down the road after the theft since it obviously won't fire in an armed robbery attempt.

Pros: You're cool, like in the movie "The Shooter"
    Cons: Your guns dont work when you need them most
    Anthony

Current EDC: Glock 23

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    Before I had a proper gun safe, I used to do this to guns I didn't use very often, or weren't for HD. I did it because I didn't want to arm a criminal. And I thought of it before I read the book "Point of Impact" (better than the movie "Shooter). Now I don't do it because it is a royal PITA.

I have over 30 firearms,I would forget where I put the firing pins and which pins went in what gun without some fiddling,some firearms require complete disassembly to remove a firing pin,too much hassle for me,I just lock em in my safe
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Links