Wisconsin and guns

Wisconsin and guns

This is a discussion on Wisconsin and guns within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm planning a trip to Marshfield, WI. I know myself including everone else on this board don't have recoprocity in WI because the state is ...

Thread: Wisconsin and guns

Wisconsin and guns

I'm planning a trip to Marshfield, WI. I know myself including everone else on this board don't have recoprocity in WI because the state is not even a "may issue state", all thanks to Chicago. But what are rural areas, like Marshfield, far away from Chicago view of the 2A? I'm staying with friends for 3 weeks in Marshfield and I've never been to WI before. I just don't know what to expect and I'd be a little more comfortable if I knew what the rural areas and places far far away from Chicago in WI were like with the 2A.

What does Chicago have to do with Wisconsin? I didn't think that the folks from IL got to vote in WI.

WI, as you stated does not allow for any type of concealed carry. When you transport a firearm in WI you must have it unloaded, and in a closed case.

Technically open carry is legal in WI, but personally I would not recommend doing it except in the most rural areas of the state. After all, if you are going to open carry, you would have to unholster, remove ammo, store gun in a case while driving, then when you want to get out, you have to uncase, load ammo, then reholster once outside the vehicle.

Motels, hotels, ect. I guess while your in your room there should be no problem with you having your gun in the room and available. You will need to check the local regs, as I believe they can make restrictions locally.

You might check this out.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/wisconsin.pdf
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    A friend of mine from Wisconsin states that the further away from Chicago you get, the more pro-gun it is. He frequently went shooting on his brothers farm and never had any problems. Wisconsin is an open carry state except in your vehicle and hunting is very popular in rural areas.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

JD
    Administrator
    Once you get further away from the population centers it's very pro-gun. WI like IA is dominated by the larger more liberal cities, but out in the sticks it's different.

Ok, thanks. What's Marshfield like? And I can OC even though I don't have recoprocity? Meaning, I can walk out of my hotel room OCing and walking to a restrauant in town completely legal? I know I can have my gun in the hotel room considering I'm paying taxes on the lodging so it should be considering like my home.

You know NJ is trying to make PA anti gun just like the influence IL has on WI. NJ is blaming PA for being to lax and the reason for their gun crime, lol. Even NY is attacking PA for their problems.

Quote Originally Posted by dlclarkii View Post
    Ok, thanks. What's Marshfield like? And I can OC even though I don't have recoprocity? Meaning, I can walk out of my hotel room OCing and walking to a restrauant in town completely legal? I know I can have my gun in the hotel room considering I'm paying taxes on the lodging so it should be considering like my home.

You know NJ is trying to make PA anti gun just like the influence IL has on WI. NJ is blaming PA for being to lax and the reason for their gun crime, lol. Even NY is attacking PA for their problems.
    I don't get the correlation between paying taxes and it being considered your home. If you rent an apartment is it not considered your home since there is no tax on a long term rental. NO.

Funny when I go visit in WI, there is no mention of how IL is being any influence to the state. You might check with some folks in PA, as they would probably disagree that NJ or NY are influencing gun legislation in their state. All I have to say is if state congresses or senates are being influenced by other states then they certainly need to be ejected from office next election time.

One thing. You might want to call the Marshfield PD and get their take on open carry. Might save yourself some trouble. BTW, when I visit central Wisconsin, Wis Rapids, Nekoosa, Port Edwards, I do not OC even in those small towns. I like my encounters with LEO's be be possitive ones.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Sponsored Links