Check your mags!

Check your mags!

This is a discussion on Check your mags! within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Sat down to finish cleaning my materials from Sunday's match last night and found a cracked follower in one of my Cobra Mags , it ...

Thread: Check your mags!

JD [OP]
    Administrator

Check your mags!

Sat down to finish cleaning my materials from Sunday's match last night and found a cracked follower in one of my Cobra Mags, it wasn't an issue right then but had potential to throw the proverbial wrench in things.

I normally don't clean my mags every time I shoot, if you don't either it might be a good time to take a gander at the innards.

VIP Member
    Absolutely. I don't clean my mags everytime either, but I do give them a good visual examination each time.

Thanks for the reminder. It's been a few trips without a cleaning.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

I disassemble, clean, and inspect/replace the mag parts about every 4 to 5 times I use them.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

I do inspect all of my magazines frequently. Matter of fact, I get them all out just to look at them every now and then and to admire the amount of magazines I have for each of my Glock pistols. I do have parts on hand to rebuild any of them if I need to do so.

I all was look over my mag when I clean my gun, a happy mag is a clean mag

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    I do inspect all of my magazines frequently. Matter of fact, I get them all out just to look at them every now and then and to admire the amount of magazines I have for each of my Glock pistols. I do have parts on hand to rebuild any of them if I need to do so.
    Uhh.....RamRod,

Have you ever been accused of being obsessed? I mean it in the kindest possible way but......

Just kidding there. I like to look at mine too!
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Lead Moderator
    Once a month , if not once a week dusting to keep them clean is usually my routine. Dust bunnies ,fuzz, ect. seems to gather rather quickly on my gear otherwise.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    I recently cleaned one of my mags.

Sent it through the washer and dryer fully loaded.

It's really clean now and so are the rounds that were in it.

Unfortunately, my cell phone didn't fare as well.
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

Sound advice!
    Ever notice how much pocket lint gathers in your pocket knife? Often enough to prevent a lock back from locking.
    Magazines -- even if in a carrier and not a pocket -- still accumulate lint and other unidentifiable "Stuff."
    This "Stuff" can prevent the follower from following, which can lead to misunderstandings.
    "Deine Papieren bitte?" or "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ !"
    (Choose only one)
    NRA Endowment Member
    "I bark at no man's bid. I will never come and go, and fetch and carry, at the whistle of the great man in the White House no matter who he is." -- David Crockett

Umm... what's a follower?
    "I pledge allegiance to the war banner of the united states of Totalitaria. And to the Republic, which no longer stands, several bankers, who are now god, indivisible, with Bernanke bucks and credit for all."

JD [OP]
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by gilraen View Post
    It's the piece in the mag that the cartridge rides on top of.

Thanks. I should start checking them....

When you don't have any friends or relatives who can explain the parts of your guns to you and what damage or wear looks like, how do you know what to watch for? (Aside from the blatantly obvious, I mean.)
    "I pledge allegiance to the war banner of the united states of Totalitaria. And to the Republic, which no longer stands, several bankers, who are now god, indivisible, with Bernanke bucks and credit for all."

JD [OP]
    Administrator
    Thanks. I should start checking them....

When you don't have any friends or relatives who can explain the parts of your guns to you and what damage or wear looks like, how do you know what to watch for? (Aside from the blatantly obvious, I mean.)
    Well, you want to check your springs for corrosion and the inside of the tube for foreign material, IE lint, dust, dirt, grime and sludge. Check the followers for overly worn spots, cracks. Check the basepads or floor plates for cracks. Check the feed lips and make sure they aren't getting bent or misshapen.

...Brownells has a pretty good write up, check out: Magazine Care - The Secret Weapon of Top Shooters Obviously the parts will look different pending on what gun/type of magazine you're using. As for what looks worn, the only thing I can tell you without knowing your gun is to take a look at a new mag and see what it looks like. Some wear is going to happen and is to be expected, what is suitable wear for one may not be for another.

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    Not to be confused with a stalker or a chaser.

I'm sure I neglect proper maintenance on my mags.
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

Links