O.K. I'm Paranoid

O.K. I'm Paranoid

This is a discussion on O.K. I'm Paranoid within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I admit it! However some of the threads on these hallowed pages disturb me! Show us what guns you own! Do you carry at home? ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

O.K. I'm Paranoid

I admit it! However some of the threads on these hallowed pages disturb me!

Show us what guns you own!
    Do you carry at home?
    Hom much ammo do you have on hand?
    How do you carry?

Etc. ad infinitum!

Egads, folks, did you ever stop to consider that the government can access these pages also? Do you think it is possible that someone somewhere is keeping stats on freely given information like this? I'll bet that if they are, "they" could cross-reference your name and state and find out where you live also.

I certainly hope NOT, but my suspicious mind is keeping me from giving out much of my personal information.

Sorry to be such a wet blanket, but it does make one think.

Senior Member Array TheGreatGonzo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zsnake View Post

Do you carry at home?
    How do you carry?

Etc. ad infinitum!

Egads, folks, did you ever stop to consider that the government can access these pages also? Do you think it is possible that someone somewhere is keeping stats on freely given information like this? I'll bet that if they are, "they" could cross-reference your name and state and find out where you live also.

I certainly hope NOT, but my suspicious mind is keeping me from giving out much of my personal information.

Holy schneike! You are right! From this point on, there should be no discussion of firearms or the carriage thereof on this board!

Geee.....uhhhhmmmmm....I like green jello.
    Gonzo
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

I have thought about it,.. And I started one of them threads,.. :-( But people will give information they will give, and likely half of it isn't correct anyway..??? So if the government is going to take the information on here and make stat-charts,.. Well.. I'm sure they are REALLY accurate???? Hmmmmm

Do you think it is possible that someone somewhere is keeping stats on freely given information like this?
    Sure, someone can find out a bit about a person by reviewing what a person has freely posted in public spaces. And, if an investigation gets rolling, you can bet such information is trolled if it can be found, as an indicator. It's certainly used after the fact during mop-up, after a crime has occurred (ie, after someone has murdered a dozen people at a gym and then is found to have posted rantings for months).

It's why I flinch at FaceBook and the type of data that people make available there.

Why anyone would post things like birthdate, SSN, names of all pets and family members, maiden names of family members, and other such "secret" items is beyond me. Many post photos of everyone as well, publicly. I'm all for folks leveraging the power of the internet to share data with people we know, but one simply doesn't know who is accessing such things when posted publicly. Some of that stuff either should be locked in a "private" area or simply not posted. In the age of identity theft, one should be a bit more cautious.

Much isn't meaningful to anyone. Some will only be to those doing some digging. Occasionally, someone will be a person "of interest" to authorities, but invariably such data is only found out after the fact. The rest of us likely don't have much to worry about ... but, with the sensitive stuff, why even put it out there, given the lapses in security and controls that are frequently reported?

It's why I don't post exact numbers of firearms, exact counts of rounds I have stocked, and so on. It simply isn't anyone's business.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

On another board, a person made comments related to procedures @ the Sheriff's office when getting finger printed for their CC application ... and someone on the board apparently forwarded that info & who to the Sheriff.

Will they ? Is someone ? Likely .....

"It's why I don't post exact numbers of firearms, exact counts of rounds I have stocked, and so on. It simply isn't anyone's business."

My position persactly! I'm all for sharing knowledge, but there is a point at which we do ourselves a disservice by publicizing our personal stats.

OK, I'm off of my soapbox!

Let the government do what they want....they will anyway. Tell me you seriously think they've got somebody wasting their time at taxpayers expense, snooping internet forums for unanimous users who could be anywhere, in order to make some sort of hit-list? Being paranoid all of the time tends to make folks mighty unhappy, and spout things about government and how big brother is going to get each and every one of us in the end by secretive and auspicious means. Think about it all you want to, but you're still paranoid, and who do you think 'they' will come for first? Those who openly brag about things that may or may not have substance, sportsmen, hobbyists, 2A supporters, law enforcement officials, active service members or veterans...............or those folks that openly state the rest of us need to watch out for 'big brother', and adamantly claim their secretiveness from such view so as to raise suspicions more than those whom they claim are being ignorant of the increasingly omnipotent government we all live under? If you don't think they know where you are or what you've been doing, no matter what you do, and how you do it, then I think you're a bit more than just paranoid. You're kidding yourself in my opinion.

Suppose the government thinks they know, from public sources, who we are, where we live, and what guns we may have. What then?

Confiscations during emergencies has already been explicitly outlawed in HR 5441 which was signed into law three years ago after the Katrina debacle.

Are they going to park a van across the street and monitor your activities?

Put you on a terror watch list?

What exactly are you afraid of?

If you have a Government issued Social Security number "they" already know everything any way. Besides, when they come looking for your ammo stockpile, tell them you shot it all up last week with one of my guns. Yikes

Well then they could just stake out the Gun store and range parking lots then for plate numbers.
    We already have registration in NY so they already know what I have for handguns.
    But by all means be safe there is nothing wrong with that.
    We are all unique.

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar

Do you carry at home?
    How do you carry?

Etc. ad infinitum!

I agree.

I wouldn't worry about it. Google your own name...the government can find out a lot more.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    I hope they know how much ammo and firearms we own. That way they won't try to pull any crap on their own citizens. Constitution anybody?
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

haha I've been waiting for someone to make this post.

Mr. Zsnake,

I cannot tell you good sir if you are indeed like a noid.

Since para means like something, I can only tell you sir that I am a full fledged noid.

Biker

To those reading more into my words than I may intend, the above comment was only stated in jest and jocularity.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links