Don't buy/sell firearms/stuff using PayPal

This is a discussion on Don't buy/sell firearms/stuff using PayPal within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I received a notice today from PayPal that they have cancelled my account of 9 years because of activity of the purchase/sale of firearm/firearm related ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Don't buy/sell firearms/stuff using PayPal

Don't buy/sell firearms/stuff using PayPal

I received a notice today from PayPal that they have cancelled my account of 9 years because of activity of the purchase/sale of firearm/firearm related items. No warning, no suspension, account closed. And the irony is this is all within the last 90 days with no prior feedback from them and most were sales/purchases from eBay who OWNS PayPal!!! Btw, they did charge my credit card for all the 'illegal' activity. It's time to Boycott PayPal...

Wes

2. Remove Ads

thanx for tha heads-up... never cared for pay-pal that much anyway...
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

Yeah, Ebay & PayPal. If you have a problem they refer you to each other, nothing gets done.
    I emailed both with an issue and after recieving the canned responses informed them both thanks for their help and I was reporting the issue to my CC company to deal with as potential wire fraud.
    They both emailed me back again in hours after contacting the seller and got the issue resolved.
    It was the first but also the last time I ever had a problem with Ebay or PayPal. I just didn't care for their lack of concern on the issue untill I threatened to have the issue escalated.
    I used both frequently, but not any longer.

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar
    That's been their policy for a while. It isn't illegal, just against policy.

They won't allow payment for certain types of entertainment, either.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

yep there have been many places i have read stuff like this they wanna cancel my account go ahead ill find someone else to use... I've even paid for guns using there system so no sweat off my back

Distinguished Member Array BCurry1's Avatar
    Seems like I heard they changed their policy back when the Clinton Gun Ban sunset'ed (if thats a word). I never liked the idea of another company having my CC # on file, so I never signed up.
    Curry

Administrator

Post According To The Ebay Legal Staff

This was a few years ago but, I talked to the guy who was the head of their legal dept. back then.

Ebay is home based in California.
    Ebay was sued by the leaders of the Great Republic Of Kalifornia.
    The courts ruled that whatever is not California Legal is not Ebay Legal. Even though a seller may live someplace other than California & the high bidder may reside in a State other than California ~ all items sold on Ebay must be items that are California Legal. I'm guessing that since Ebay now owns Paypal the same CA. rules would apply to Paypal.

What originally caused big trouble for Ebay (concerning gun sales) was certain amateur Gun sellers skirting the FFL to FFL regulations & shipping guns interstate directly to folks houses. That is a fact. So...we have nobody to blame but ourselves (as in gun sellers) for Ebay originally opting out of allowing firearm & handgun sales on Ebay. Which they did allow at one time.

Then it was the California Illegal Animal parts that really got things heated up for Ebay.

You can still use Paypal to sell firearms parts and accessories that are California Legal.
    Paypal cannot be used to pay for firearms and live ammunition & Evil rifle parts that are not California Legal.

Paypal has 96 Million registered members & unfortunately us gun folks are an extremely small percentage of that total number & so (of course) Paypal has decided that gun sales are not worth the added legal headache. That's basically about it.

I'm all for a boycott of Paypal. Their service is a pain in the butt anyways. Show me where to sign.
    Proud member of the Vast Right-Wing Conspiracy:
    http://www.xanga.com/jaltered

Senior Moderator
    Good points QK. I'd have to be honest and say that I suspect if gun related purchases were a small part of our business and we saw all the hastles and potential legal action that can spawn from gun related purchases, I wonder if we'd want to fool with it ourself.

I should add: I don't like it either. I really, really, don't like businesses that don't allow legal carry.

I use PayPal often. It is the only game in town when it comes to on-line payment services. It is very convenient for doing the kinds of buying and selling I do. I do wish there was an alternative...

If you can lose you account for buying and selling firearms related stuff, mine should have been gone a long time ago -- that is almost all I do with it. The PayPal money is my segregated "fun money."

Was there something specific you purchased? I am contantly buying holsters, magazines and related paraphenalia on eBay. I also buy from S&W, Brownells and Dillon on a regular basis.

Any idea why you would have been targeted, Wes?
    DDGator (Duane)
    www.RealWorldCarryGear.com

Assistant Administrator
    I too hate this policy aspect but OTOH find it too darned useful to actually wish to boycott it - I don't think the small voices of us gunnies would even be noticed by them sad to say.

I just make very sure that when I describe an ''item'' it is pretty vague and not over specific - that succeeds in keeping things below radar level, or has so far!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Senior Moderator
    We got similar thing going on with UPS and FedEx. What other than handguns do they demand be shipped overnight at premium rates?

Administrator

Post I use it all the time

I've never had a problem.
    It's IMPORTANT NOT to pay any attention to or take any action from any Paypal E-mail. Always link to your paypal account from a trusted location & not any E-mail.

Make sure you only type your password in if you have the Https: as part of the URL address for secure page.

Do not pay ANY attention to ANY
    Dear Member Or...
    Dear Paypal Member....or any:
    Your Account Has Been Compromised ~ E-mails

Or: Your Paypal Account Has Been Suspended E~mail Notifications.

THEY ARE ALL FAKE.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Senior Member Array ssssthesnake's Avatar
    repose to qk shooter damn stuff like you brought to our attion makes me so proud to live in kaliforniastan
    (sarcasim)

Hey, ssss, lots of building going on in OK and TX, with oil going up. We'd be proud to "adopt" you!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links