Design the 2011

Design the 2011

This is a discussion on Design the 2011 within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; OK, the venerable 1911 is approaching the century mark in its heritage (ok, that was really 2003 or 2007, but don't be pickey). Colt, among ...

Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Design the 2011

  1. #1
    Member Array FLSquirrelHunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    FL, The "Stand Your Ground' State
    Posts
    383

    Design the 2011

    OK, the venerable 1911 is approaching the century mark in its heritage (ok, that was really 2003 or 2007, but don't be pickey).

    Colt, among others, should be designing the 100th year anniversary model and I think it's a great opportunity to create the new classic: the 2011.

    So what should the 2011 look like?

    My suggestion:

    1911-style grip,
    Titanium frame and slide
    Beretta PX-type action
    and .32 magnum caliber
    (just as the .45 derives from the bottom half of a 30-06 case, the 32 mag could be built around the bottom of a .223)
    staggered double-stack mag
    glock rifling
    5" barrel
    XD-style safeties (striker, trigger, and grip)

    That would be my 2011.

    Yours?


  2. #2
    VIP Member Array Cuda66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    minnesota
    Posts
    2,364
    Doesn't STI, or somebody like that, already make a model called the "2011"?

    And, well, I guess if I added up my ideas...well, I'd just have a Gen 3 Glock 21...
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

    ...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper


    There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

  3. #3
    Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Texas, South of the Sabine
    Posts
    1,149
    heresey....total heresey....


    JMB designed perfection!!!!!


    NO MORE HERESEY!

  4. #4
    Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Anchorage Alaska
    Posts
    1,972
    I'm sure one of the gun manufacturers will come out with a special 100th Anniversery edition 1911 that cost about as much as a Les Baer or Wilson Combat. I don't see a need to redesign it because the current design is still going strong.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

    I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

  5. #5
    VIP Member Array dukalmighty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    texas
    Posts
    15,179
    It's perfect the way it is
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

  6. #6
    BAC
    BAC is offline
    VIP Member Array BAC's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    2,292

    Arrow

    I'd settle for Colt learning how to melt their corners...

    • All steel, all the time
    • Lose the billboard logos on the slide for something more subdued (like the Dan Wessons)
    • Slanted, spaced rear cocking serrations
    • Integral partial-length picatinny rail on the frame
    • Properly radiused beavertail
    • Eliminate the grip safety
    • Arched MSH
    • Medium-length trigger
    • Undercut trigger guard
    • Bar Sto, 10-8, or Warren Tactical rear sight with a Warren tritium front sight
    • Melonite or Tennifer frame/slide/barrel
    • Accepts all current 1911 grips and magazines
    • Ability to accept full 5" or 4.25" slides with no alterations to the frame.
    • Certain guarantees for performance, durability, and reliability - it should come out of the box able to fire 2-3 thousand rounds between cleanings, go more than 10k between detailed maintenance (excepting recoil springs), and maintain 2-3" groups at 25 yards over a 30k or more service life. (Nod to Mr. Todd Green)
    • MSRP of no more than any of HKs handguns


    I'm looking for something that will both bring the 1911 into the modern era as far as expectations from a service pistol. I do not doubt the utility of existing 1911s, but it is more than possible to make a few design tweaks that make it comparable to the more modern service pistols of the world (Glocks, M&Ps, Sigs, etc.). The target price is achievable if Colt is willing to tool up, which would have the added benefit of preparing them to pull a Glock and flood the market with OEM replacement parts so that when little things do need to be replaced they can be done so inexpensively and with a relative guarantee of drop-in-ness. If anyone can do that, I think Colt can.

    Oh well, a guy can dream right?


    -B
    RIP, Jeff Dorr: 1964 - July 17, 2009. You will be missed.


    Defensive Carry Search Tips


    Step 1 - Choose a subforum on right side under "Search in Forum(s)"
    Step 2 - Type general topic of interest in "Search by Keyword" textbox.
    Step 3 - Read results and refine/repeat as necessary.

  7. #7
    Member Array M203Sniper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    238
    Colt, among others, should be designing the 100th year anniversary model and I think it's a great opportunity to create the new classic
    The 100 year anniversary at Colt;

    It will be called the century series or series 100 or something like that, probably not 2011.

    It will be just like the XSE, without the "series 80" parts or front cocking serrations.

    It will be a limited run.

    There will be about 300 posts about whether or not to shoot it.

    Hopefully you won't be able to shave with it.

    New Classic? You might get a good Lew Horton or Talo edition in addition to the factory spec pistols, whatever it is I will probably buy one.
    "Words can be as lethal as bullets; Choose them carefully, Aim them well & Use them sparingly."

  8. #8
    Ex Member Array Ram Rod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Fayetteville, AR
    Posts
    13,687
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuda66 View Post
    Doesn't STI, or somebody like that, already make a model called the "2011"?

    And, well, I guess if I added up my ideas...well, I'd just have a Gen 3 Glock 21...
    LOL! Good point.

  9. #9
    Member Array FLSquirrelHunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    FL, The "Stand Your Ground' State
    Posts
    383
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuda66 View Post
    Doesn't STI, or somebody like that, already make a model called the "2011"?
    Looks nice.

  10. #10
    VIP Member Array Cuda66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    minnesota
    Posts
    2,364
    Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post
    I'd settle for Colt learning how to melt their corners...

    • All steel, all the time
    • Lose the billboard logos on the slide for something more subdued (like the Dan Wessons)
    • Slanted, spaced rear cocking serrations
    • Integral partial-length picatinny rail on the frame
    • Properly radiused beavertail
    • Eliminate the grip safety
    • Arched MSH
    • Medium-length trigger
    • Undercut trigger guard
    • Bar Sto, 10-8, or Warren Tactical rear sight with a Warren tritium front sight
    • Melonite or Tennifer frame/slide/barrel
    • Accepts all current 1911 grips and magazines
    • Ability to accept full 5" or 4.25" slides with no alterations to the frame.
    • Certain guarantees for performance, durability, and reliability - it should come out of the box able to fire 2-3 thousand rounds between cleanings, go more than 10k between detailed maintenance (excepting recoil springs), and maintain 2-3" groups at 25 yards over a 30k or more service life. (Nod to Mr. Todd Green)
    • MSRP of no more than any of HKs handguns


    I'm looking for something that will both bring the 1911 into the modern era as far as expectations from a service pistol. I do not doubt the utility of existing 1911s, but it is more than possible to make a few design tweaks that make it comparable to the more modern service pistols of the world (Glocks, M&Ps, Sigs, etc.). The target price is achievable if Colt is willing to tool up, which would have the added benefit of preparing them to pull a Glock and flood the market with OEM replacement parts so that when little things do need to be replaced they can be done so inexpensively and with a relative guarantee of drop-in-ness. If anyone can do that, I think Colt can.

    Oh well, a guy can dream right?


    -B
    Sooo..are we talking Mk23, P7M13, P7M10 prices? Or HK45/P30 prices...

    I do like your ideas, though. Particularly the reliability/longevity bit.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

    ...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper


    There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

  11. #11
    Administrator
    Array QKShooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Off Of The X
    Posts
    35,882
    Just FYI

    "Titanium frame and slide"

    A Titanium slide would not work out very well at all. - Scratch that idea.
    Titanium is too light and would not provide enough oomph to reliably cycle/feed cartridges.
    A Titanium frame and a Steel slide would be OK.

    Aluminum or Titanium slides would be OK for .22 rim fire only.

  12. #12
    BAC
    BAC is offline
    VIP Member Array BAC's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    2,292
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuda66 View Post
    Sooo..are we talking Mk23, P7M13, P7M10 prices? Or HK45/P30 prices...
    Ugh, forgot about the P7s and that abomination they call the Mk23...

    I'm thinking more HK45 prices (about $1k). Perfectly possible if the company wants it enough, and you know these SOBs would sell like hotcakes quick enough to make up for the high start-up costs. I know I'd be on it like white on rice.


    -B
    RIP, Jeff Dorr: 1964 - July 17, 2009. You will be missed.


    Defensive Carry Search Tips


    Step 1 - Choose a subforum on right side under "Search in Forum(s)"
    Step 2 - Type general topic of interest in "Search by Keyword" textbox.
    Step 3 - Read results and refine/repeat as necessary.

  13. #13
    Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Arid Zone A
    Posts
    1,563
    Titanium or Scandium frame, either the thumb safety or a grip safety of some kind (I kind of like the P7 arrangement), but not both. I like the idea of taking both 5" and 4" slides (made out of the latest and greatest steel). A recoil plug that could be turned either by hand or with common tools (flats on the outside, slotted for both standard and Phillips head screwdrivers on the inside). Easier fitting of the barrels to the slides (not exactly sure on how to do this and keep the accuracy). No firing pin safety, but using the Ti/spring arrangement for drop safety or the grip safety making it drop safe. I'm not sure about the rail, but I'd like mine drilled and tapped. Include both types of MSH's from the factory. Beveled mag well. Oh, and a good trigger, straight from the factory, also.

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. 5 movies I want to see in 2011!
    By ErikGr7 in forum Off Topic & Humor Discussion
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: October 11th, 2011, 03:38 PM
  2. 1st 1911 of 2011
    By Dragman in forum Defensive Carry Guns
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: March 9th, 2011, 08:06 PM
  3. 1911-2011 Anybody celebrating by buying a 2011 special edition model?
    By Rotorblade in forum Defensive Carry Guns
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: March 3rd, 2011, 02:19 AM
  4. Getting a new gun in Jan. 2011
    By alafan in forum Defensive Carry Guns
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: December 29th, 2010, 05:39 PM

Search tags for this page

2011 gun

,

jan.rtearmaeg@about-warren.com

,

sti pistol design

Click on a term to search for related topics.