Firearm education in public schools. And the sad truth about my generation.

This is a discussion on Firearm education in public schools. And the sad truth about my generation. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I myself think that there should be firearm education in schools as early as middle school. We have sex education and drug awareness education. But ...

Thread: Firearm education in public schools. And the sad truth about my generation.

Firearm education in public schools. And the sad truth about my generation.

I myself think that there should be firearm education in schools as early as middle school. We have sex education and drug awareness education. But we don't have any kind of formal firearm education. The media and many other outlets have scared our youth into thinking guns are bad. And that only bad guys have guns with the exception of LE. I don't think kids now a days have been given a fair chance to be exposed to what a firearms job really is. And that is to protect. Kids have this idea that guns are bad and that guns kill people. Thats just a stereotype that has been beaten into their heads due to the media in my opinion. The parents of these children tell their kids that guns kill. They don't stop to think that any ball bat or screw driver can kill also. That list goes on forever. It is who is behind that screwdriver or ball bat that kills. If we had a formal firearm education class in schools and tried to educate kids better on this topic I think the world would be much better off. I am 25 years old and my generation for the most part is Anti-Gun. That makes me so sad. With that in mind my generation is the future. And that means I think stricter gun laws are in the future. It is because nobody sat down and taught us that guns are your friend. And nobody gave us any kind of training what so ever. My generation for the most part would vote to outlaw them completely I bet. Witch makes me sick to my stomach like you don't even know. I just wish the main stream media would play something about how a legally armed citizen saved lives and saved the day more often. Instead it is the complete opposite. My generation thinks Obama hung the moon for some reason. But I still do everything I can to educate my friends why being armed is one of the most important things they can do. But all I here back is "The less guns the better"
    "A coward dies a thousand deaths. But a man dies only once."

2. Remove Ads

GREAT IDEA!!!!.... Why not,.. It seems only right.. They say they need sex ed because kids are having sex and need to be aware of what can happen,.. ,.. Well it only seems right to have gun ed to make sure kids know how to properly handle a gun and what can happen if they are not careful with them.. :-)

Great post..

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    TucAzRider has it nailed. Now, drug education is because drugs are bad, and I don't think anybody is yet trying to use drug education to teach kids how to safely do drugs, but sex ed is all about teaching safe sex because dangerous sex hurts people.

That is exactly the correct line of argument for gun education in schools. Guns can be dangerous, so learn about them; abstinence is an option (nobody is making you use guns if you don't want to), but those who want to can go on to enjoy safe shooting because they have learned how to mitigate the risks of the activity.

Parents out there (I am not one), next time your educators or school board trot out a plan to teach fourth graders about sex, take their proposal and do a global search and replace of "sex" with "gun" and see how they like the proposal then!
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    I see one problem with the gun safety education theory. Who is going to teach it??? Is someone who knows guns (NRA certified, law enforcement certified) or some liberal school teacher who hates guns going to teach the course? How are we sure the person teaching the course is qualified to do so? Don't get me wrong I'm all for training. I just want to make sure the teacher is qualified to teach the subject matter and is competent.

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    I am all for education. Schools tend to do this mandatory things pretty poorly though. The Sex Ed and the Drug Free education that currently happens is a joke. It might help a little, but only a little.

The Boy Scouts still do a little black powder and rifle shooting. Not nearly enough though. I have some female friends from China and they used to do military drills and shooting at 7 am in elementary school.

Young people also need to learn how to balance their checkbooks and use credit wisely. Tax knowledge is helpful too. As is medical insurance billing.

Our education system is often deficient.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by holstered View Post
    I myself think that there should be firearm education in schools as early as middle school. We have sex education and drug awareness education. But we don't have any kind of formal firearm education. The media and many other outlets have scared our youth into thinking guns are bad. And that only bad guys have guns with the exception of LE. I don't think kids now a days have been given a fair chance to be exposed to what a firearms job really is. And that is to protect. Kids have this idea that guns are bad and that guns kill people. Thats just a stereotype that has been beaten into their heads due to the media in my opinion. The parents of these children tell their kids that guns kill. They don't stop to think that any ball bat or screw driver can kill also. That list goes on forever. It is who is behind that screwdriver or ball bat that kills. If we had a formal firearm education class in schools and tried to educate kids better on this topic I think the world would be much better off. I am 25 years old and my generation for the most part is Anti-Gun. That makes me so sad. With that in mind my generation is the future. And that means I think stricter gun laws are in the future. It is because nobody sat down and taught us that guns are your friend. And nobody gave us any kind of training what so ever. My generation for the most part would vote to outlaw them completely I bet. Witch makes me sick to my stomach like you don't even know. I just wish the main stream media would play something about how a legally armed citizen saved lives and saved the day more often. Instead it is the complete opposite. My generation thinks Obama hung the moon for some reason. But I still do everything I can to educate my friends why being armed is one of the most important things they can do. But all I here back is "The less guns the better"
    Right on, I agree with you.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    BROWN WATER NAVY

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    Conservatives didn't want sex being taught in schools or condoms to be made available to students because they said it would "encourage their use."

Liberals called this a load of crap. They said the biggest problem regarding teen pregnancy and STDs was simple ignorance and that a proper education would solve this problem.

You can see where I'm going with this....
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

Distinguished Member Array tiwee's Avatar
    It is up to the local school board in Missouri. Here they teach(or taught my kids) a couple of weeks of hunter safety during junior high during an expo class. It is enough to qualify one for a hunting license. They also require drivers education for graduation. There is mandatory gym class through at least K - 10. Some Missouri schools have none of these.

They also have reasonable expectations for discipline. The school is not afraid of being sued for not caving in to every crazy parent that shows up with their precious snowflake. And they have been sued. They have an alternative school and are quick to use it. Both to help the under performing student and to give the others a chance for an education without being in class with troublemakers. They have in school suspension for behavior issues and in school care for pregnant students and their babies. It is hard to get out of school for any reason unless you just take off and hide or violate a state law that requires expulsion. If you don't graduate with your peers, they pester the students to go back to alternative school or to GED classes. One kid I knew was married and working construction and told me the school convinced his wife he should get a GED at night. And he was doing it. The school doesn't give up if they know you are still around here and didn't graduate. Under performing administrators go elsewhere pretty fast also. All in all, we have a good school board.

I don't agree with everything they do or have done, but like all government, we get the school governance we deserve. Vote for idiots, get poor schools. Vote for good people, get good decisions. It is simple in the sticks. Probably much more complicated in the larger cities. And many rural schools are run by idiot school boards for a variety of reasons. So nothing is certain.

For the original poster. All school politics are local. They are the most hotly contested elections in small towns. Get your school board interested in gun safety. Perhaps you will have a lot of support. Make it an issue and some will adopt it as a campaign issue. Keep working. You will find plenty of supporters in the community. Just know there are schools out there with hunter safety training, JrROTC, and other unique programs. All done at the behest of the local school boards.

Holstered,
    First off ,If you had a bunch as in you avatar it would deffintly get alot of the
    YOUNGER GENERATION ; )
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Thumbs up

I agree that there needs to be non-spun, truthful education about firearms safety and usage, in schools. It's one heck of a lot more important than "duck and cover." Leaving it as an unspoken taboo is wrong. Denouncing it blindly as a devil's tool of gangs and terrorists is shameful.

It should, IMO, be made another activity in Physical Education. Make it the biathlon, but joined with cross-country running. Start it at age ~10yrs, or so. Have three or four inexpensive Marlin 10/22 and 1894 rifles, then teach the basics of safety, handling, marksmanship. Out of this, within a single generation we'll then redevelop a sense of sanity and proportion, with respect to the nature of firearms and their suitable place in our culture.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I do a little firearms education if and when the opportunity presents itself. Mainly just the Eddie the Eagle stuff about don't touch, leave the area, tell an adult, etc. Never an anti-gun slant, just a healthy dose of respect. I'm not afraid to let my students know I'm a hunter.
    I teach Elementary Orchestra in a liberal county of New York State.

Jim

I'm not disappointed working in a Southern rural school...99% of the kids have guns in the home and 98% of them have had experience in shooting that gun (I did a survey).
    I have never had anyone complain about 'gun talk', although it is not a common or daily topic. By far, the majority of families in our school are pro-gun...even the pro-Obama bunch.
    Gotta' love the rural GunShine State...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Well frankly as with drug and sex and alcohol education, I think it all starts at home. :P

I remember in high school, we received a grant for a "small schools initiative" where our large high school was being broken up into smaller "specialized" schools. Students were invited to be a part of a committee to come up with ideas for the specialized, smaller schools. I joined because I thought it would look good on my college application. One of the proposals we put together was a small school that was sort of like JROTC... More physical education, military science, that type of thing.

Then we had to present the proposals to the faculty. When the JROTC group came up, you would think all of the teachers had a heart attack. A military-like small school! Perish the thought! The stormtroopers were coming!! Their eyes got round and they whispered and fidgeted and looked scandalized. And I remember thinking "well there goes that idea. Now they'll only pick out the fluffy stuff like the art school..." Not that there's anything wrong with a specialization in the arts, but I could see it in their faces. They wouldn't let anything like that come into existence. I think the same thing would be true of gun education.

I think there are more of us out there, us "young" gun people. We're just not as vocal. I mean, during the '08 election I didn't trot out my views or come to class decked out in my candidate's paraphernalia... I just didn't feel the need to advertise it so much. Maybe there are others out there. When I walk into class and see my history professor wearing an Obama button (in fairness, I don't think he should have been wearing a button for any candidate), it doesn't give me any more reasons to speak up.

And the media may make guns out to be bad, but I remember my brother didn't have any interest in them until he started playing video games on his own and then went on a scouting trip. Maybe the problem isn't age or the fact that the schools don't have education... we just need to expose people more.

Links