New 22 carbine !!

New 22 carbine !!

This is a discussion on New 22 carbine !! within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; After shooting a Ruger 10/22 for years I opted for a AR15 type .22LR. I did some research and looking after seeing Hotguns post on ...

Thread: New 22 carbine !!

Lead Moderator

New 22 carbine !!

After shooting a Ruger 10/22 for years I opted for a AR15 type .22LR. I did some research and looking after seeing Hotguns post on his Colt .22 AR.
    I got to look and handle both the Colt and S&W .22LR carbines. Both had the quad rail handguards and were similar. I choose the S&W with several features I deemed better than the colt.
    1.The trigger can be swapped with standard AR drop in kits.
    2. The bolt release /lock lever actually works (same as my Stag AR)
    3. S&W offers a lifetime warranty on defects.
    4. The S&W seems more robust even with the polymer upper/lower. 5. The price point was nearly $100 less.
    6. The S&W safety operates same as the standard AR, the Colt has to be rotated to the Full auto position to fire (180 degrees from safe)
    Here are some pics , it breaks down with the pins similar to a standard AR. Also included is a pic of the fierce guard dogs.
    I did note neither guns metal appeared to be anodized like a standard AR. The S&W barrel appears to be blued . I have not shot this gun yet as it was 00 dark hundred by the time I got home tonight. The sight seem sturdy and adjust the same as any other AR sight. Dual aperture is a nice touch.
    Tomorrow is the test day .
    Note This isn't a bash on the Colt product , just my opinion and observations from research. I will post pics of the range report once I put some ammo through it.
    Attached Images
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Senior Moderator
    Nice.
    Looking forward to hearing about it.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    Nice looking rifle you got there. Handsome dogs too. I am going to build a dedicated .22 AR in the coming weeks. I just finished this dedicated 9mm AR a couple days ago. I like a standard AR lower and LPK and will mate to a 1:16 twist Spikes .22 upper for my rifle.

Here is a photo of my Spikes AR-15 5.56 and my new 9mm AR-15

VIP Member
    Very nice, I am curious if that upper could be used on a standard AR lower and if S&W will make it available separately.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Siafu View Post
    Nice looking rifle you got there. Handsome dogs too. I am going to build a dedicated .22 AR in the coming weeks.
    Thanks, I considered a dedicated upper, but wanted a whole rifle.
    Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    Very nice, I am curious if that upper could be used on a standard AR lower and if S&W will make it available separately.
    I would venture to guess you cannot. The buffer tube is not used / it is filled in. Also the bolt release is not quite the same as a standard AR.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I took part of this from a post I made on another thread here, so you may have seen some of it already...

When our local sporting goods store received a shipment of both the Colt M4 22 rifle and it's "tactical" version, the Ruger SR22 and the S&W M&P 15-22 rifles last August I did a hands on comparison of the guns. Later, after doing some checking on the internet for reviews of both the S&W and Colt (I couldn't find anything on the Ruger but I'd guess it's as reliable as any Ruger 10/22), I also bought the S&W. FYI, I liked the Colt Tactical model of the .22 and considered buying it. It was almost exactly the same as the S&W but metal. However, it was almost $200 more than the 15-22 and at least a pound heavier due to it's metal construction.

There are many people who will argue the point, but I personally prefer the S&W's lighter weight polymer construction vs. the all metal of the Colt. While some shooters like their guns made of metal and wood (I do myself in most cases), I think a polymer frame/stock is a good choice for an all purpose & all weather gun, especially a .22. First, it's usually lighter and while weight is good for recoil control, a .22 has no real recoil. Polymer won't rust, is much less likely to break or warp, is usually cheaper to make and can be molded into almost any shape. The S&W's standard factory rails and the fact that it was $125-$175 cheaper than the Ruger SR and Colt M4 were other big selling factors. For those interested, I walked out the door with my M&P for $450. Something else that was nice for me is I already had a lot of extra parts and accessories from an AR that I'd sold a number of years ago. So along with some rail covers I had sitting around, I was able to add a carry handle, sling and vertical grip at no extra cost.

I've shot about 250 rds during my two trips to the range with the M&P. It was just as accurate and reliable as my old Ruger 10/22 and I'm able to do a lot more with it as far as customizing than I ever could with my 10/22. FYI, I'd still have that 10/22 - which I got NIB back in the 80's - but it was stolen during a burglary about 15 years ago when I lived in New Orleans. Anyway, I was easily hitting empty cola cans at 75+ yards with the S&W's iron sights. After a few practice shots my youngest son (10 y/o) was putting most of his shots into a 6" circle at 50 yds and we were both having a blast... literally! FWIW, this gun is just plain FUN to shoot! At 5 lbs the S&W is light but with it shootng the .22 LR, there's no recoil to speak of so it's nice not having to deal with recoil induced flinch when my kids shoot it. As the OP said, there are no non-functioning knobs or buttons (a fake forward assist for example) like there are on some of the other AR clones. You can swap out the M&P's trigger assembly with any standard AR match trigger if you feel the need along with the stocks while the rails accept Weaver based and picatinny accessories. It will also accept most aftermarket pistol grips as per S&W. According to several different reviews I read the barrels are high quality "match grade" and made by Thompson-Center so it should be capable of very good accuracy with even a low power scope. While none of these guns are exactly true AR's inside, the Colt and S&W are close enough that those who have an AR will be familiar with it's parts and functions. All the external controls and switches are in the right place as well. Finally, with the adjustable stock and it's light weight, my wife & kids can shoot it just as easily as me and my kids won't outgrow it like they have several youth model guns.

Now, if S&W made a 15-22 in .22 Mag, I'll bet this little gun would give a "real" .223 AR a run for it's money out to 100+ yards on both targets AND small game...
    "... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane

EAJ
    Congrat's on the new M&P15-22. Glad to hear that you're enjoying it. More info here for anyone that's interested.

VIP Member
    Rocky, what optic is that you have on the 15-22 in pic 4?
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by dr_cmg View Post
    Rocky, what optic is that you have on the 15-22 in pic 4?
    Thats a Tac point -blue ring (chinese knock off of the aimpoint). I wanted to see if I liked the aimpoint style before ordering a expensive optic, but went with a holosight for my M-4.

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Lead Moderator
    After shooting approx. 50 rounds I can say I really like this gun. It seems to be accurate and run well with a few light primer strikes and failures to cycle. Some of this is ammo related as I had the same issue with my 10/22 and bulk pack. once the rain quits I will do some more in depth shooting and really fine sight it in.
    The bolt lock after the last round and the ease of mag loading both are very positive features. Overall I think this gun will be a fun gun for plinking and cheap training.

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Rocky,

What ammo are you using, specifically mfr. and model/variant?

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Senior Member Array 2ndsupporter's Avatar
    Very nice rifle!
    [One Nation Under God]

Distinguished Member Array mathewsman's Avatar
    congrats
    NRA sence 2003 Colt defender Taurus .357 mag
    Taurus tcp x box gamer tag mathewsman

How much did you pay for it?

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    How much did you pay for it?
    I actually traded for a carbon 15 AR I no longer use, but they are approx. $ 450. Spare mags are around $20.

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Sponsored Links