Taking a trip

Taking a trip

This is a discussion on Taking a trip within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My wife and I are going to visit some friends and I want to know if there are any good gun stores in the area. ...

Thread: Taking a trip

VIP Member

Taking a trip to Vancouver, Washington

My wife and I are going to visit some friends and I want to know if there are any good gun stores in the area. Our first stop is Monterey, CA so I won't even ask about that. From there we drive to San Francisco so my wife can cross the Golden Gate Bridge and so that we can catch our flight to Portland, OR. Our friends will meet us there and take us across the river to their home in Vancouver, WA. I know we have a good number of Washingtonians in the forum, but I don't know if any are from the Vancouver area. I hope that even if none are from the area that some might be familiar with gun stores there.

The husband and I both got pistols for Christmas in 1992. I got a S&W model 439 9mm and he got a .45 1911 style. We both moved from New Orleans (thank the Lord) in 1995 and we have visited back and forth since. We moved to Alabama and they moved to Tulsa, OK. Evidently in his time there he never learned about the BIG gun show. Anyway they have now moved to Vancouver and this will be our first visit there and I want to explore gun stores. So if anyone out there knows of good gun stores in Vancouver, WA let me know.

Thanks.
    Last edited by dr_cmg; April 11th, 2006 at 10:20 PM. Reason: add city to title
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

VIP Member
    Offhand, Macattack's probably your best bet. I'm from the wrong side of the state. Maybe Fitznig, too.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

Assistant Administrator
    Let us know when you depart George - gonna miss having ya around!

Hope you'll take a few pics you can show on return. How long away then? 2 weeks?
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    Let us know when you depart George - gonna miss having ya around!

Hope you'll take a few pics you can show on return. How long away then? 2 weeks?
    We leave on 4/23 at about 2 pm and fly to Monterey via Denver. It is a quick trip. I was stationed at Ft. Ord, CA in the Army. It no longer exists as a military post, but is called California State University Monterey Peninsula. Will spend only a day there. I just want to see the area again, haven't been there since 1974. Leah has never been. We'll eat on Fisherman's Wharf, see Cannery Row, and go to the Aquarium. We'll drive up to San Francisco on 4/25, cross the Golden Gate and drive to the SF airport. Fly to Portland and arrive about 6 pm. Spend Wed, Thur, and Fri with our friends Larry and Jeanie. Leave early Fri afternoon and fly back to Birmingham. Drive back to Marion that night. Spend Saturday catching up and getting ready for Sunday. We do a 45 min. to 1 hour gospel concern Sunday night.

Nothing like cramming it all together. The time frame was dictated by semester break at the college and the concert was scheduled months ago for the 5th Sunday. We'll survive. It will be one of those trips where you have to go back to work to recoup.

Next year we plan a get together with Larry and Jeanie in Ta!Da! Philadelphia, PA. Leah and I will drive and take 3 or 4 days getting there. We want to stop by Williamsburg, VA. and maybe Mount Vernon. We will spend probably 3 or 4 days in Philadelphia. I have been to these places although it was over 40 years ago, but Leah has never seen Independence Hall and the Liberty Bell, etc. We want to spend some time just being in the place that gave birth to our nation. I don't know how far away from there you are, but maybe we can set up a time just to meet and say hello.

BTW, I'm sure I will check things out at CC on the night of 4/25. Larry has several computers and I will be sitting in front of one to catch up on the happenings at the best gun forum on the 'net.

I am hoping to find something interesting in one of those gunshops around Vancouver. I am even taking a copy of my FFLs license with an original signature. He just got new one in and had not signed it, so when I asked for a copy he copied the unsigned one and signed both. Who knows maybe I'll find a Sig I like or maybe (don't let Bruce know) a 1911. Who knows I might even find a M29 like the one you found in Tulsa. I was at Ft. Ord in Monterey when Dirty Harry primered in Monterey. I saw it several days later and have wanted a M29 ever since. If I find one as good as yours maybe I'll have that want fulfilled.

We'll take some pics while away. I hope to get some of some sea otters and maybe whales in Monterey. There are some great Pacific coast scenes to be photographed as well. I don't know what to expect around Vancouver, but will try to bring back some representative photos.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Assistant Administrator
    Wow George - ''whirlwind"

Mind you, amazing what you can get in - Bonnie and I did a 4,000 mile drive trip in 2003, covering 12 states and tho it was a bit hectic, it was so interesting and we stopped off with friends at over night stops sometimes.

Then heck - Tulsa just recently - took five days but original plan was for just three!!

It'll be a good trip I can tell.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

While in Calif. You should check out TRADERS guns shop in Oakland it's a cool gun shop. Also if you get close to Napa check out the Last Gun shop. It's a small store but a good one. Other then that most of the others are out of they way. I don't know of any guns shop in the Monterey and one of the best shut down in SF years ago "The Gun Exchange".

Wish you the best on your trip.

Brian

Senior Member Array ssssthesnake's Avatar
    im about 2 and a half hours north of monteray nice country nice weather just did a job on the language school there rainy here have a great trip ps got lots of good gun stores where i live just not many good guns in them is kaliforniastan after all lol

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CopperKnight
    Offhand, Macattack's probably your best bet. I'm from the wrong side of the state. Maybe Fitznig, too.
    Where is Macattack? He was the one I figured would jump in right away.
    George

Links