Used gun values?

This is a discussion on Used gun values? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I was wondering a good source to find out how much a used firearm is worth. My cousin is selling his regularly used Remington 700 ...

Thread: Used gun values?

Used gun values?

I was wondering a good source to find out how much a used firearm is worth.

My cousin is selling his regularly used Remington 700 SPS 24" in 30-06 with a Bushnell 3x9-40 scope (Don't know exact model, something low to mid-range pricing probably), rings, and case for $250. I would say the rifle is in 85%-90% condition.

What do you all think it's worth in reality? At this price I think I'm going to pick it up without much hesitation with my next paycheck. Anyone know how much trade in value I may be able to get out of that or that can point me in a direction to get that information would be very much appreciated.

2. Remove Ads

You can always get an idea by looking at similar guns on Gunbroker or a similar site. Looking at a range where guns get bids to where they get ignored as well as the range of asking or "buy it now" prices should give you an idea, and it's fast and free.

That's pretty much the same thing I do. I like gunsamerica.com to keep me up to date on current market trends. For $250, I wouldn't hesitate at all on picking it up. It may be a keeper, but you could likely turn around and sell it for more than the asking price and it still be a good value as a package deal. New rifles like this can be had for around $479.

VIP Member
    Well I believe for $250 , there must be something terribly wrong with it!

You send me your cousins name N adress and I ll send him the $250, and then I can get it to a respectable gunsmith to get it checked out!

P.S. Buy it Quick before he changes his mind

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

It would have been mine for that price.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

There are lots of book on used gun values as well. Anyone have a particular book in mind?

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    $250 is a great price for that rifle. Buy it! If there is anything wrong, a good gunsmith can fix it and you're still way ahead. If you go to gunbroker.com, look at the bids, not the asking or "buy it now" price. Most private sellers have a distorted perception of the value of what they are selling. Since the run up to the election, many first-timers entered the market. Some bought to speculate - buy low & sell high. You'll see a lot of firearms listed for insanely high prices, hoping to lure the unsuspecting buyer. Go to https://store.bluebookinc.com/Firearms/Default.aspx for a publication of values. Value and worth are two entirely different things. Value is what it means to you and worth is what someone is willing to pay.
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

Oh it still works well, he took out a squirrel with it at 80 yards yesterday. (I bit overkill? ) I've even shot it myself a couple times.

Thanks for information!

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    clean 700's of any caliber, with "decent" optics, average $350-400 around my neighborhood. Nicer models, with higher end optics may be closer to the $600-800 range.

Unless it's had rocks shot through the barrel and carried in the bed of the truck for a few months, it's probably worth the $250.

edit to add... I'm also referring to used copies in the above

Links