Making shooting more comfortable

This is a discussion on Making shooting more comfortable within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; After firing a couple hundred rounds at the range, a spot at the back of my thumb was worn raw, and I was scraped pretty ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Making shooting more comfortable

After firing a couple hundred rounds at the range, a spot at the back of my thumb was worn raw, and I was scraped pretty badly on my trigger finger as well.

Any suggestions for not leaving the range with a bloody hand?

Administrator
    ID the spots that are wearing on your hand. Try to adjust your grip. If you cant or would rather not, try rounding out or smoothing those surfaces with a light file or even sandpaper.
    Some will suggest gloves; forget that idea unless you are at the range to punch holes in paper. You wont be wearing shooting gloves on the street. Dont mask the problem; ID it and fix it.
    "Just blame Sixto"

What kind of gun were you shooting? Was this from the gun, or loading the magazines, some magazines can be a PITA.

Like Sixto suggested, find out what is causing the problem. My Redhawk with the wood grips used to eat me up on full house loads. A set of Pachmayrs fixed it right up.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Distinguished Member Array tiwee's Avatar
    If the pistol is ok, I use band aids until the callous forms. I had a couple this summer from new pistols. Now they are fine.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    ID the spots that are wearing on your hand. Try to adjust your grip. If you cant or would rather not, try rounding out or smoothing those surfaces with a light file or even sandpaper.
    Some will suggest gloves; forget that idea unless you are at the range to punch holes in paper. You wont be wearing shooting gloves on the street. Dont mask the problem; ID it and fix it.
    +1 ...what he said. I ran into a fellow a while back and he was showing severe signs of wear on his hands...particularly the top of the webbing between the thumb and index and the inside of all but one finger at the second knuckle. He had said he only had the pistol for a few weeks and had only shot it for a few times and every time his hand was getting torn up.

He had bought the pistol used at a local shop. One quick glance over the pistol revealed the obvious problem. The numbnut previous owner had stuck skateboard tape along the beaver-tail and around the front of the grip. Apparently the shop either never noticed or didn't care to remove it prior to resale. Every time he shot he was basically sandpapering his hand... Just a thought...
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Good luck the above posts' cover most of what/ wrong/fix & whatnots PS
    Stick with it, You will only get better !!
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

This was with a Kel-tec PF9.

The spot on my thumb that got rubbed was right alongside the knuckle, above the web. This is where my hand is wrapped around the grip. The upper curve of the grip (where it curves back outward above the deepest indentation) rubs against my hand when I fire. I'm not sure how I can adjust my grip away from this position, but I'll look at it.

The spot on my finger is very clearly the edge of the trigger.

Gloves was one thought, although I would prefer to avoid it if possible. As far as "You wont be wearing shooting gloves on the street.", I also won't be shooting hundreds of rounds at a time on the street, either. A couple dozen rounds, as I've done before, offers no problems at all.

I was thinking that it might just be a matter of developing some callouses, as tiwee suggests.

I've got some stuff to look at, at least. As always, thanks for the info

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Random View Post
    This was with a Kel-tec PF9.

The spot on my thumb that got rubbed was right alongside the knuckle, above the web. This is where my hand is wrapped around the grip. The upper curve of the grip (where it curves back outward above the deepest indentation) rubs against my hand when I fire. I'm not sure how I can adjust my grip away from this position, but I'll look at it.

The spot on my finger is very clearly the edge of the trigger.

Gloves was one thought, although I would prefer to avoid it if possible. As far as "You wont be wearing shooting gloves on the street.", I also won't be shooting hundreds of rounds at a time on the street, either. A couple dozen rounds, as I've done before, offers no problems at all.

I was thinking that it might just be a matter of developing some callouses, as tiwee suggests.

I've got some stuff to look at, at least. As always, thanks for the info
    Yep, gloves can and do work well at the range. I use a golf glove(cheap) when I take the Model 29 to the range. After a couple hundred rounds and the recoil causing the gun to rotate slightly in my hand and allowing my hand to ride up the backstrap, a glove fixes that problem, easily. Better grips are something I plan to get for it ASAP, but in the meantime the glove works great. It is thin enough I didn't even need to cut the trigger finger off the glove but it's just right to prevent any movement of the gun while firing.
    Hopefully if I ever have to use it to defend myself, I won't be firing a couple hundred rounds at once
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

After firing a couple hundred rounds at the range, a spot at the back of my thumb was worn raw, and I was scraped pretty badly on my trigger finger as well.

Any suggestions for not leaving the range with a bloody hand?
    You just need a 'break-in' period. It's okay....some say that if you're not bleeding, you're not doing anything. Some will say pain lets us know we're alive. Others will say change your ways or suck it up and be a man.
    What would I do? Go back the next day and fire a couple hundred more rounds. You going to ride that horse or let him throw you?

At multi-day shooting classes I use Krazy Glue to seal a trigger finger cuts and my support hand palm where my mag pinches. It creates a flexible "bandage".

And I did that because...

...in the Marine Corps I used to fill my blisters with KG while humping with great results.

Just silly but effective.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

Pain is just 'weakness' leaving the body...

My KelTec P-3AT is the same way, a dependable gun, but not a fun gun at the range.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    a cheap hogue grip sleeve can do wonders for KT pistols. If you're really cheap, you can make a decent grip sleeve from a piece of bicycle inner tube cut to fit. Or, 300 grit wet/dry paper will knock the edges off the checkering. Be sure to use the wet/dry paper on ALL of the plastic moulded flashing...that's always a source of rough edges, both on the grip frame "halves" and on the trigger itself. You can easily smooth all the rough spots out in about 10 minutes.

been there, done that... a few times

surv

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    Athletic Tape.

I always put it on when doing extended range sessions. A piece on the 2nd joint of my thumb where the frame rubs and one on the pinky where the mag sometimes rubs... simple as that...

Administrator

Gloves was one thought, although I would prefer to avoid it if possible. As far as "You wont be wearing shooting gloves on the street.", I also won't be shooting hundreds of rounds at a time on the street, either.
    You have missed the point of the glove comment; wear one on the range, you could become mentally dependant and cause a flinching issue.
    But, thats really no matter anyway as the KT's are easy to fix. Swipe one of your wife's/mother/sister/girlfriend emory board and round out those edges that are catching your hand.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    You just need a 'break-in' period. It's okay....some say that if you're not bleeding, you're not doing anything. Some will say pain lets us know we're alive. Others will say change your ways or suck it up and be a man.
    What would I do? Go back the next day and fire a couple hundred more rounds. You going to ride that horse or let him throw you?
    Heh - reminds me of karate class. If you don't go home with a couple bruises, you're not doing it right :)

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    You have missed the point of the glove comment; wear one on the range, you could become mentally dependant and cause a flinching issue.
    Yes, I did miss that point. And thanks for the tips.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links