Need help on out of state firearm purchase.

This is a discussion on Need help on out of state firearm purchase. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Showing my ignorance here. Do the feds or individual states determine whether I can purchase a firearm, face-to-face, in another state? Sometimes I see some ...

Distinguished Member

Showing my ignorance here. Do the feds or individual states determine whether I can purchase a firearm, face-to-face, in another state? Sometimes I see some great deals for face-to-face out of state. I travel somewhat but I also know there are states (maybe all?) that do not allow the purchase of a firearm from someone out of state. Any help or links would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Eccl. 10:2

Easiest way is to have your dealer fax a copy of your dealer's FFL to their dealer.

Biker

If I read you correctly, you want to do a FTF transaction in another state. I do not believe that is legal.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Guns and more View Post
    If I read you correctly, you want to do a FTF transaction in another state. I do not believe that is legal.
    Correct, a face to face in another state. But, is Biker saying that if you go through an FFL in that state it is legal?
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Eccl. 10:2

Quote Originally Posted by aznav View Post
    Correct, a face to face in another state. But, is Biker saying that if you go through an FFL in that state it is legal?
    FTF in another state through a FFL is legal.
    Get the U.N. out of the U.S.
    Get the U.S. out of the U.N.

I'm saying that if YOUR FFL sends a copy of their FFL to the seller's FFL the gun can be shipped to your FFL by the seller's FFL.

One of my Hi Powers came from WI and the other from IL. I don't live in either location. :hint hint: The transactions were legal, as per federal, state, county and city laws and ordinances.

Biker

It is against Federal law for any FTF firearms transaction to occur between living residents of different states. The buyer violates 18 USC 922 (a)(3) and the seller violates 18 USC 922 (a)(5).

US CODE: Title 18,922. Unlawful acts

If the firearm is a handgun, the handgun must be shipped or delivered to an FFL in the buyer's state of residence for transfer.

If the firearm is a rifle or shotgun, the firearm may be transferred at an FFL in the buyer's state of residence; or, if both states' laws of the buyer and seller are met, may be transferred at an FFL in the seller's state of residence. These requirements are contained in 18 USC 922 (b).

Distinguished Member
    Got it. That's what I thought. The whole idea was to be able to get a firearm that a guy would only do a FTF or avoid shipping charges and double FFL charges. Oh, well...
    Many thanks.

Send seller a copy of your FFL's license(signed in blue ink by FFL) . Seller can ship to them(FFL) through FedX along with a copy of their Drivers License and the copy of your FFL's license and a signed document saying that the gun is paid for and belongs to you with contact info for you. Then you can pick it up at FFL and pay one FFL transfer fee and shipping.
    If I gave a crap about what you think about my guns.....it was early this morning and I already flushed it!

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar
    Got it. That's what I thought. The whole idea was to be able to get a firearm that a guy would only do a FTF or avoid shipping charges and double FFL charges. Oh, well...
    Many thanks.
    You're asking about a firearm, but....are you speaking of a handgun, rifle or a shotgun? There's a difference.

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

Quote Originally Posted by P7fanatic View Post
    You're asking about a firearm, but....are you speaking of a handgun, rifle or a shotgun? There's a difference.

The only difference is that the out of state handgun sale must be transferred at an FFL in the buyer's state of residence.

An out of state rifle/shotgun may, in most cases but not all, be transferred at an FFL in the buyer's or seller's state of residence, but still must go through an FFL.

Links