Got asked the Gun In The House ? today

This is a discussion on Got asked the Gun In The House ? today within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've never seen the question on a form, but I'd leave it blank. While on the subject of guns and docs I have been seeing ...

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Got asked the Gun In The House ? today

I've never seen the question on a form, but I'd leave it blank. While on the subject of guns and docs I have been seeing a physical therapist for my back. Just this week I finished up a 10 week stretch and we were talking about guns which has been a topic of conversation several times. He's interested in getting his CCP, and we've been discussing guns and training classes. Sometimes when he is very busy his partner will do my therapy and one time I forgot to take my LCP out of my front pocket before going in. While she was stretching me out it was digging into my hip. She said you might want to take whatever is in your pocket out so it's more comfortable. I just rearranged it and finished up, but I was telling him about it. He said she would've probably freaked out a little if I'd pulled out a gun and laid it on the table. He has been very open about guns and owns a couple of rifles and shotguns. Hopefully my conversations with him will motivate him to get his CCP and start protecting himself and his family.
    G23 w/GTL21, G27, Ruger LCP, & Taurus 617 SS
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Member
    VT Class of '96

2. Remove Ads

From me: "None in the house, it is on my hip"
    oldogy
    Government is out of control
    "If gun laws in fact worked, the sponsors of this type of legislation should have no difficulty drawing upon long lists of examples of crime rates reduced by such legislation. That they cannot do so after a century and a half of trying -- " Sen Orrin G. Hatch

Quote Originally Posted by Pikachu711 View Post
    I wouldn't have answered the question. That is none of your doctors business, period. If you felt obligated to answer the question, answer NO!
    That is what I would have done, too. ^^

I have no obligation to answer any question truthfully outside of a court under oath, and as being 'interviewed' by a law enforcement officer.

If a person asks me a question rudely I feel no obligation to respond muchless reply kindly.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    I would not answer it, or answer it "No". It is none of their business.
    Yup.

Never has been. Never will be.

I just wanted to try and provide some of the other perspective as to why you might get asked about access to firearms at your physician's office.
    Other than potential lead/related chemical issues and the standard safety questions around powerful tools (which a person can manage him/herself), there is no need to have a doctor care so much as to know these things. None whatsoever.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    First off I wouldn't lie on the form if asked.......I would leave it blank or draw a line thru it.

Now for the sarcastic answer:
    No, the gun is not at home....I'M WEARING IT RIGHT NOW!

As to the point of it being asked on a medical form.....I have a BIG problem with this. Spoonie mentioned earlier that it is just to get the opening to talk about health & safety issues........I find it disturbing that medical professionals would be asking about firearms in the home. I don't see them asking if you have fire extinguishers in case of a fire or if you have a pool in case the 'kiddies' might drown......or if you have sharp knives in the kitchen.

Health care should be about fixing you when you're broken NOT trying to shape the way you live your life.....Just think how this will go once BO gets nationalized health scare.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

VIP Member
    Spoonee, welcome to the forum.

While you may support the second amendment that is not the general feeling of the medical profession. The AMA, ACP, AAP and CDC to name a few medical organizations all call for severe restrictions and bans on firearms. Given the medical professions general track record on the subject, I would not advise answering the question.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Spoonee View Post

In adults I ask the same question for two reasons. First, by law they are responsible for their children's safety. Hence, they need to make sure to secure any weapons they have. Second, up to 7.5% of adult Americans are currently suffering from depression severe enough to effect their ability to function that means at least one adult patient in my average day at the office will be struggling with depression. The number one method of suicide in depressed people is by self inflicted gunshot wounds. If I ask about depression and firearms in adults it is to try and help avoid that outcome.
    Welcome aboard Spoonee!

Since when are Dr.'s responsible to enforce firearms laws?

I for one have a serious problem with my physician or anyone else I am paying for a service assuming some "moral high ground" to dig in to my personal life uninvited and especially in matters unrelated to my visit. As most Dr.'s get you in and out of their office as quickly as they can, I also don't see much of a "personal relationship" developing and as much as I might like to, I don't consider my Dr. a "personal friend" which would also give them some right to inquire about personal "non-medical" matters.

Nothing against Dr.'s (and NO reference to you at all Spoonee) but I appreciate them knowing their place and not assume that all too typical "superior" attitude.

That's just me.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Quote Originally Posted by MP45Man View Post
    I had to make a trip to my general practitioner today for some lingering problems I've finally go fed up with. I have not been there in two years so they had me fill out the obligatory forms. On one of the forms it asked me if I had a gun in the house. I answered yes. I suspect my physician is as liberal as they come. It will be interesting to see if anything is said going forward. I may be going back quite frequently if they can't find the problem. Stay tuned.
    What is this guy? A psychiatrist? Well, it could be relevant, but wait a minute -- you said "general practitioner" -- just leave it blank like we do when registering warranties which ask personal and not directly relevant questions OR

Merely print in the margin "Surely you jest!"
    Live every day so that you can, with a clear conscience, look all men in their eyes and tell them to go to hell.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I prefer the NOYFB...
    I like that Dr's and the medical profession in general are hughly into abreviations. I'd like to see how long it takes them to figure it out.
    Kansas Concealed Carry Website

NRA/Ks. Firearms instructor
    Cheif Range Safety Officer

Quote Originally Posted by MP45Man View Post
    I had to make a trip to my general practitioner today for some lingering problems I've finally go fed up with. I have not been there in two years so they had me fill out the obligatory forms. On one of the forms it asked me if I had a gun in the house. I answered yes. I suspect my physician is as liberal as they come. It will be interesting to see if anything is said going forward. I may be going back quite frequently if they can't find the problem. Stay tuned.
    I just thought of another response which has not been mentioned:

"Doc, are you moonlighting as a burglar and looking for a gun-free zone?"
    Live every day so that you can, with a clear conscience, look all men in their eyes and tell them to go to hell.

Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws

Keep and Bear Arms - Gun Owners Home Page - 2nd Amendment Supporters

FIREARMS SAFETY COUNSELING REPRESENTATION:
    PHYSICIAN QUALIFICATIONS AND LIABILITY
    Part One: Qualifications
    I affirm that I am certified to offer (Name of Patient: ), herineafter referred to as
    "the Patient", qualified advice about firearms safety in the home, having received:
    Specify Course(s) of Study:
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    Specify Institution(s)
    on:
    Specify Course Completion Date(s):
    resulting in:
    Specify Accreditation(s), Certification(s), License(s) etc.:
    Check one, as appropriate:
    ___ I represent that I have reviewed applicable scientific literature pertaining to defensive gun use and beneficial results of private
    firearms ownership. I further represent that I have reviewed all other relevant home safety issues with the Patient, including those
    relating to electricity, drains, disposals, compactors, garage doors, driveway safety, pool safety, pool fence codes and special locks
    for pool gates, auto safety, gas, broken glass, stored cleaning chemicals, buckets, toilets, sharp objects, garden tools, home tools,
    power tools, lawnmowers, lawn chemicals, scissors, needles, forks, knives, etc. I also acknowledge, by receiving this document, I
    have been made aware that, in his inaugural address before the American Medical Association on June 20, 2001, new president
    Richard Corlin, MD, admitted "What we don't know about violence and guns is literally killing us...researchers do not have the data
    to tell how kids get guns, if trigger locks work, what the warning signs of violence in schools and at the workplace are and other
    critical questions due to lack of research funding." (UPI). In spite of this admission, I represent that I have sufficient data and
    expertise to provide expert and clinically sound advice to patients regarding firearms in the home.
    OR
    ___ I am knowingly engaging in Home/Firearms Safety Counseling without certification, license or formal training in Risk
    Management, and; I have not reviewed applicable scientific literature pertaining to defensive gun use and beneficial results of
    private firearms ownership.
    Part Two: Liability
    I have determined, from a review of my medical malpractice insurance, that if I engage in an activity for
    which I am not certified, such as Firearms Safety Counseling, the carrier (check one, as appropriate):
    ___ will
    ___ will not
    cover lawsuits resulting from neglect, lack of qualification, etc.
    Insurance Carrier name, address and policy number insuring me for firearms safety expertise:
    I further warrant that, should the Patient follow my firearm safety counseling and remove from the home and/or disable firearms
    with trigger locks or other mechanisms, and if the patient or a family member, friend or visitor is subsequently injured or killed as a
    result of said removal or disabling, that my malpractice insurance and/or personal assets will cover all actual and punitive damages
    resulting from a lawsuit initiated by the patient, the patient's legal reprerentative, or the patient's survivors.
    Signature of attesting physician and date: __________________________________________________
    Name of attesting physician (please print):___________________________________________ _______
    Signature of patient and date: __________________________________________________ __________
    Name of patient (please print):___________________________________________ _________________
    Patient: Indicate if physician "REFUSED TO SIGN." Have physician place a copy in your chart/medical record.
    "The price of freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness." -Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I prefer the NOYFB...
    Absolutely. Because it is not!
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

Quote Originally Posted by Rugergirl View Post
    my doc is a gun nut and a hunting nut and a fishing nut. Some of the conversations we have are about more than just health
    It is amazing what you learn of this on board. I learnt the Rugergirl doc has 3 nuts.

To OP: Did the doc think you had lead poisoning?

Gotta go with Rugergirl, but i'm sure putting NA or NOYFB is the same as answering yes.

Interesting replies. I appreciate the enthusiastic responses.

I guess a couple things are to be considered in thinking about the subject and said replies. I, in particular, only ask or counsel about such issues (and I do include drowning and fire safety in the pediatric visits) at preventative visits. Meaning, someone has specifically come to my office to ask my advice as to how to be and stay healthy. If someone comes in with a bad ankle sprain, I promise the subject will never come up. However at physicals the point is to prevent death and disability. We cannot leave just "fix the broke things" as has been suggested. If that was true we would wait until the breast cancer has fungating through the skin before we talk about detection or suggest someone lower their cholesterol only after the heart attack. That's like the range officer going over safety rules after someone gets injured. It doesn't make sense.

Second, as a physician I am an expert in what kills people. I've been there countless times as they try and die. Anyone who has ever tried to resuscitate a 3 year old who was found floating in an unattended pool is qualified to suggest to other parents not to leave the pool unattended. Remember I'm not suggesting that we banish pools just make sure 3 year olds don't fall in.

Finally I would say that my role always is one of your adviser. I believe what the Proverbs say is true in that "In the counsel of many is wisdom." I wish to give wise counsel. Whether the patient wants to follow it is of their own accord. If you don't have a good relationship with your physician I would suggest you find new one. There are plenty of us out there that really want to walk through all the good times and bad times with our patients helping them navigate the difficulties. I know I take all the time that is needed at any visit.

Anyway, thanks for the responses.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links