Got asked the Gun In The House ? today - Page 4

Got asked the Gun In The House ? today

This is a discussion on Got asked the Gun In The House ? today within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Wow! I didn't envision this thread having so many responses. I was going to say no or leave it blank. But then I got to ...

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Got asked the Gun In The House ? today

Wow! I didn't envision this thread having so many responses. I was going to say no or leave it blank. But then I got to thinking. I'm not sure my doc looked at the last one I filled out because I answered some questions on there about my medical history that I would have assumed he would have asked me about. He didn't. So, I figure I would say YES to the question and see if it came up on subsequent visits. Then I would probe for the real reason he was asking. He might then get a NOYFB response.

Also, anybody have the source for the stat regarding the percentage of teenagers killed by guns that Spoonee mentioned? I have not seen that stat before.

Administrator
    "On one of the forms it asked me if I had a gun in the house."

I would have answered "NO" and I would have been telling the truth because I do not have "a" gun in the house.

I have a whole bunch of them in the house.

Oh...And...BTW: ~ I have one in your waiting room right now too.

Actually my own Doc is cool on firearms & he has really helped me out with my shooting related Tinnitus.

I think the paranoia arising from being questioned by doctors results from an attempt by (I think, Massachusetts) to use drs interviews as a source for keeping track of the guns in the state.
    I don't remember if it was ever enacted but I do remember the suspicions that were aroused by the idea.

Spoone welcome to the forum.

I really hope you are not my doctor as I live in East Tn. Whether I wear a set belt or not has nothing to do with my physical health, if what you say is true why not ask what kind of jeans I wear or do I use 1 or 2 ply toilet paper. When the "gobment" takes over health care they will have access to all your medical records do I really want to make it that easy for them to tell I am a gun owner?

I read about this being on doctor forms awhile back. They're going to increase health care prices to unreasonable levels for gun owners. It will be deemed reckless to own a firearm and you'll be considered a liability because of lead, risk of accidental discharges or some such nonsense. It's about as asinine as things come but there you go. The sheep will lap it up of course...

It's just another way to disarm people imo. Keep your guns or cure your sick kid, even with insurance you won't be able to afford medical care if you're a gun owner.

Groups like the AMA come out with statements such as they are against guns when actually the majority of the doctors in the group actually feel otherwise. Certain groups seem to make such statements like this with out checking with their members. Unless the doctor is treating you for a gun shot wound your ownership of a gun is none of his or any ones business.

Come on guys, we all know that the long list of question you are asked to answer at the doctors office is to eat up some of the godforsaken time you have to wait.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Quote Originally Posted by varob View Post
    Come on guys, we all know that the long list of question you are asked to answer at the doctors office is to eat up some of the godforsaken time you have to wait.
    Just wait it's fixin to get a whole bunch longer. Talk to our friends north of the border.

Thats odd....what does that have to do with a medical exam??? Do you have children? Still, none of there business....Answer no and save yourself the trouble.

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    "On one of the forms it asked me if I had a gun in the house."

I would have answered "NO" and I would have been telling the truth because I do not have "a" gun in the house.

I have a whole bunch of them in the house.

Oh...And...BTW: ~ I have one in your waiting room right now too.

Actually my own Doc is cool on firearms & he has really helped me out with my shooting related Tinnitus.
    Priceless, I might have to change my answer after reading this one
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Quote Originally Posted by Sporty79 View Post
    Thats odd....what does that have to do with a medical exam??? Do you have children? Still, none of there business....Answer no and save yourself the trouble.
    I have children and no gun is around when I'm not at home. It is locked in a safe and I'm the only one with a combination. That's rare, however. If I'm not home, it is usually with me.

Spoonee,

Welcome from FL's Space Coast.
    I appreciate your perspective and your attitude.

Having said that, there is so much information out there about the negative attitudes of the AMA and many physicians that many of us are going to be VERY suspicious of such a question, unless we have some reason to believe that our physician is actually strongly in favor of the 2nd Amendment. One of our members here (a LEO) had the pediatrician's office saying they would be calling and scheduling for a home visit because they found out that there were guns in the home.

I would also add, will you be asking about many of the other threats to health? In FL, more children drown in buckets than from firearm accidents. Bicycles cause more deaths, etc.

If items which are a greater danger than guns are not part of the questionnaire, I would question just how helpful such an 'intake' at a physical actually is. JMO.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

I just write "N/A" on the forms when they ask questions that are not pertinent to the issue at hand.

Biker

Second, as a physician I am an expert in what kills people.
    As a cop, I am an expert in what kills people. Other stupid or evil people...sometimes with guns. I have guns, but no stupid or evil people in the house. Therefore, the question is irrelevant.
    What Would Gumby Do?

Maybe I'll just print this out and attach it to any Dr's form that asks me about guns in the house:

Why Doctors Are 9,000 Times More Likely to Accidentally
    Kill You Than Gun Owners

A widely publicized report saying that as many as 98,000 people die each year in the United States from medical errors is conservative, and the number is probably much larger than that. The estimate by the Institute of Medicine (IOM) is low because it looked only at deaths of patients at hospitals. The Institute is a private, nonprofit organization that provides health policy advice under a congressional charter to the National Academy of Sciences. Janet M. Corrigan is the IOM's director of health care services. The Institute is a private, nonprofit organization that provides health policy advice under a congressional charter to the National Academy of Sciences. She told reporters at a Capitol Hill briefing May 8 that the study did not look at medical-error deaths at nursing homes, emergency rooms or in doctors' offices. The mortality estimates are low also because most of the information was based on medical record reviews. Medical errors are a problem that has been hidden from the public for far to long.

Number of physicians in the US = 700,000
    Accidental deaths caused by physicians per year = 120,000
    Accidental deaths per physician = 0.171

Number of gun owners in the US = 80,000,000
    Number of accidental gun deaths per year (all age groups) = 1,500
    Accidental deaths per gun owner = 0.0000188

Therefore, doctors are approximately 9,000 times more dangerous than gun owners.

From another source:
    Doctors Are The Third Leading Cause of Death in the US,
    Causing 250,000 Deaths Every Year

Journal American Medical Association (JAMA) Vol 284 July 26, 2000: author Dr. Barbara Starfield of the Johns Hopkins School of Hygiene and Public Health

DEATHS PER YEAR:

* 12,000 ----unnecessary surgery
    * 7,000 -----medication errors in hospitals
    * 20,000 ----other errors in hospitals
    * 80,000 ----infections in hospitals
    * 106,000 ---non-error, negative effects of drugs

These total to 250,000 deaths per year from iatrogenic causes!! (iatrogenic is defined as induced in a patient by a physician's activity, manner, or therapy. Used especially of a complication of treatment).

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Sponsored Links