Got asked the Gun In The House ? today

This is a discussion on Got asked the Gun In The House ? today within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've never seen that question before, but I would definitely answer along the lines of NOYFB....

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Got asked the Gun In The House ? today

I've never seen that question before, but I would definitely answer along the lines of NOYFB.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Vtxdpm View Post
    Maybe I'll just print this out and attach it to any Dr's form that asks me about guns in the house:

Why Doctors Are 9,000 Times More Likely to Accidentally
    Kill You Than Gun Owners
    Links, please!

What a liberal idiot I can't believe he/she would even put a question on there like that. Wow amazing the what the sheep do.
    Glock 27,Hi-Point .380, S&W 3913, RIA 5" Tactical

NRA Member/Supporter

"Government is not the solution to our problems; government is the problem." - President Ronald Reagan

VIP Member
    At my PCP, if he asked (which I doubt), I'd say "yup" got one here, too.

To which he likely say, as he does now, "Take the rig off and re-weigh" -- as he does now.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Found a great site/resource about this:

Doctors For Sensible Gun Laws
    Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws

Listing of articles available from their website:
    Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws

Before you get up in arms (pun intended) about "sensible gun laws", these Drs are shooters, i.e.:

WHAT ARE SENSIBLE GUN LAWS?

A Position Statement by Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws

In order to be considered sensible, an existing or proposed gun law must meet the following conditions:

1. A sensible gun law must save more lives than it costs.
    Research shows that guns are used much more often to prevent crimes than they are used to aid crimes. Therefore laws that hinder the ordinary citizen's right to self defense with a firearm tend to cause a net increase in crime.

2. A sensible law must make the best use of scarce public resources.
    For example, the money spent enforcing the law might save more lives if it were invested in other areas, such as medical research, drug treatment programs or voluntary firearms safety training.

3. A proposed gun law must be backed up by good quality, peer reviewed research showing that it meets the above criteria.
    Junk medical science has no place in public policy debates.

4. A sensible law is one that does not weaken our society by inflaming anti-government sentiment.
    Many gun laws raise concern about increasing government control of people's lives and unreasonably limit their constitutionally guaranteed right to keep and bear arms. This breeds disrespect for the law and for our government.

5. A proposed law should be reviewed by a legislative committee equally represented by both sides of the issue to determine the unintended consequences of that law before it is presented for a final vote.

6. A sensible law must be Constitutional.

Lest anyone say that Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws are a group of extremists who do not support any gun laws, we offer some examples of gun laws that we consider sensible:

* It makes sense to prohibit carrying a gun when visiting a prison inmate or entering a high security military base.
    * It is sensible to prohibit visitors from carrying guns into government facilities that are likely targets of terrorists, such as the White House.
    * Although such measures are usually misguided, we believe that people and businesses have the right to prohibit weapons on their private property and ask violators to leave.
    * We support laws appropriating public funds for voluntary civilian firearms training.

Quote Originally Posted by Random View Post
    Links, please!
    Hey Random, I did a Google search on "Doctors Kill more than guns" and found that info in my previous post.

However, going back into the fray again, I found an article that kind of refutes those particular statistics but still agrees with the point that Drs are more dangerous than guns. It provides different numbers but DOES include a few references. It can be found HERE:
    Doctors kill more people than guns: urban legend or fact? (update 1)

It says:

A popular message circulating the internet claims that "guns don't kill people, doctors do," based on statistics that theoretically show that doctors are responsible for more accidental deaths every year than firearms. Independent research by NaturalNews staff shows that this claim is based on a logical fallacy of comparing apples and oranges, but according to the hard statistics, doctors do indeed kill more people than guns.

The message, which sometimes says that doctors kill more people than guns and traffic accidents combined, has been circulating the internet for years. Like many urban legends that cross the internet, it has a lot of "facts" for its readers, but it is unlike most urban legends in that it quotes a source: "Statistics provided by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services." The message was even recounted in an article by Nathan Tabor. The letter claims that:

-- There are 700,000 physicians in the United States.
    -- There are 120,000 accidental deaths in the United States caused by physicians every year, and the accidental death percentage per physician is 0.171.
    -- There are 80 million gun owners in the United States.
    -- There are 1,500 accidental deaths from guns every year, regardless of age group, and the accidental death percentage per gun owner is 0.0000188.

This means, the letter points out, that doctors are 9,000 times more deadly than gun owners.

Tabor's reason for pointing out these statistics seems to be the endorsement of second amendment rights, but the stats have turned the heads of many people, regardless of their stance on gun control. The claim has been reprinted across the internet on sites such as Rense.com, and other sites that warn of the dangers of modern medicine. NaturalNews staff members were unable to find DHHS figures that either supported or debunked the urban legend's claims. Such figures are hard to compare anyway, as the internet anti-chain-letter site BreakTheChain.org points out with responses gathered from the public:

-- Most people see doctors when their health is already poor, so that has to be considered a factor in any doctor-related deaths, accidental or otherwise.
    -- Some people will never interact with a gun in their lifetime, but very few people will never see a doctor. This means that doctors could be more lethal simply due to a greater chance of public exposure to them.

As you can see, the doubts raised by these factors mean the statistics cannot be fairly compared, however NaturalNews's stance is that conventional medicine is still one of the top causes of death in the United States. Specifically, information obtained in "Death by Medicine" shows that an estimated 106,000 people die from adverse drug effects -- from properly prescribed drugs -- every year, and approximately 98,000 die annually from some sort of error by medical staff. Compare this to statistics from the Department of Justice and the U.S. Centers for Disease control for the year 2004, which show an estimated 16,137 people were victims of homicide (not just firearm murders) in the United States.

(emphasis added)

I hope that helps,
    V

PS: Just noticed, this is my 100th Post.

hmmm

By saying noyfb, NA or the like gives them the answer they are looking for.

also by leaving it blank it would also suspect them to believe that have they answer they are looking for.

So my answer would have to be "my hands are my guns".....just to throw them off a bit...in a comedy kinda way. In other words...they wouldn't get a strait answer from me.

Heck...Popeye had battle ships, guns, and anvils in his biceps after a can of spinich. ;)

when the wife and i were at her ob/gyn after we found out she was preggers they asked the same question, my answer was "a whole arsenal, why do you ask?" they replied to me that it was concerning more of lead-based ammuntion then the actual firearms, the dr. chuckled when i said that and said he wouldnt have asked unless he had too, but like i said the main concern was lead in the ammo which i could understand when bringing a baby in the house if you have ammo out everywhere making contact with objects on the ground, but like most sensible firearm owners my ammo is neatly stacked in a secure location
    U/315
    KY Concealed Carry Instructor
    Taser X2/X26 Instructor
    "It is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs. He does not have to…[he] is entitled to stand his ground, and meet any (life-threatening) attack made upon him with a deadly weapon…." Gibson v. KY, 34SW936(Ky.1931)

More misguided BS. The heavy metal (lead and other crap) contamination is from breathing in air after firing ammo/primers, not the lead in the bullets or unfired primers - also from eating and drinking on the firing line. There was an RSO/Training Center Supervisor that spent way more than 40 hrs/wk on a rifle/pistol/shotgun range for years before his lead levels were so bad he had to stay off the range. That said, kids under six and pregnant women should stay away from well used ranges b/c their bodies don't process the lead out of their systems as well as males, but that's no excuse for the Dr. to be asking about guns in the home.

By saying noyfb, NA or the like gives them the answer they are looking for.
    And simply telling them what the "safest" thing they want to hear (ie, "No.") is probably the best approach, all things considered. It's not like fibbing to a person with medical training about items in your cupboard and sock drawer is a crime. After all, it's your own health in question, and you're responsible for your own health. Idiots can't force one to be "healthy" according to their conception of what constitutes healthy, no matter how fatuous or seemingly virtuous their views.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

you might want to just tell the DR the truth.
    what if the DR was to give you a Med and you had Psycotic reaction?
    He might just warn you, before hand,
    (Like my DR asked my wife about us when I was on Meds during a treatment)
    I told him it was ok, I didn't have any Bullits. out of Ammo .

Some peeps freak on pain killers, sleepers. Anti D's.
    I really do think the DR gives a crap. If we got guns or not. all the DR I know like Guns.
    Glocks

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    Asking if I have guns in my house is as relevant to my health as asking if I drive a car or have any medications/alcohol in the house, which is to say, almost no relevance, unless I'm suicidal. If it was on a form, I'd answer "no". If a doctor asked, I'd ask the doctor what medical school he or she graduated from, what was their standing in the class at the time of graduation and how many time they have been sued per year since they started practicing. Now those questions matter.

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    It's getting to be common place. My pre-employment physical asked about my hobbies. I wanted the job so I just wrote camping, hiking and fishing. I felt like adding "in the Nunya-Dam State Park," but better judgment took over.
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spoonee View Post
    I feel my job at physicals as your physician is to assess your overall health and try to prevent all the common causes of mortality and morbidity. That is, my job is to try and prevent premature death or disability while maintaining the healthiest lifestyle possible.
    So you have NRA membership forms available in your office? A listing of local firearm instructors and training institutes? Do you encourage all of your patients that can lawfully carry a gun to do so? Do you discuss the need for them to take personal responsibility for their own safety? Do you make them aware of the fact that failure to carry the most effective possible means of self defense is nothing short of irresponsible? Based upon your post I doubt it

Quote Originally Posted by Spoonee View Post
    The number one cause of death in teenagers is accidents caused by either motor vehicles or firearms. This includes homicide and suicide by firearms..
    I stopped reading here as this statement is misinformed unfounded in fact, inaccurate, untrue at best. A blatant lie fabricated by the pro crime brady bunch and other volunteer victims leagues of anti self defense fanatics. Whose bogus study passed off young adults to age 25 as teenagers, among other factual distortions to "prove" their theory. Perpetuated by those who are either unwilling, unable or just too incompetent to fact check. It along with the myth that you are more likely to be killed with your own gun than to defend yourself with it has been repeatedly disproved and discredited by legitimate credible unbiased researchers. Fact is a teenager is more likely to drown in the family pool or playing football than from a gun.
    If preventing teenage violence is the goal the appropriate question is not if there is a gun in your home as that is irrelevant. The appropriate relevant question is; Is you kid a low life scum bag gang banger or crack head whore, because THAT is the reason behind most teenage violence. Not whether or not their parents are gun owners.
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Quote Originally Posted by LongRider View Post
    So you have NRA membership forms available in your office? A listing of local firearm instructors and training institutes? Do you encourage all of your patients that can lawfully carry a gun to do so? Do you discuss the need for them to take personal responsibility for their own safety? Do you make them aware of the fact that failure to carry the most effective possible means of self defense is nothing short of irresponsible? Based upon your post I doubt it

I stopped reading here as this statement is misinformed unfounded in fact, inaccurate, untrue at best. A blatant lie fabricated by the pro crime brady bunch and other volunteer victims leagues of anti self defense fanatics. Whose bogus study passed off young adults to age 25 as teenagers, among other factual distortions to "prove" their theory. Perpetuated by those who are either unwilling, unable or just too incompetent to fact check. It along with the myth that you are more likely to be killed with your own gun than to defend yourself with it has been repeatedly disproved and discredited by legitimate credible unbiased researchers. Fact is a teenager is more likely to drown in the family pool or playing football than from a gun.
    If preventing teenage violence is the goal the appropriate question is not if there is a gun in your home as that is irrelevant. The appropriate relevant question is; Is you kid a low life scum bag gang banger or crack head whore, because THAT is the reason behind most teenage violence. Not whether or not their parents are gun owners.
    +1
    In their stats they also include those killed while in the commission of felonies, anything to boost the numbers. Stats are junk numbers thrown out to push an agenda...
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links