Got asked the Gun In The House ? today

This is a discussion on Got asked the Gun In The House ? today within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; In the days before the New Bolsheviks gained power I would have been in the "NOYFB" crowd (I did put that on the long form ...

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Got asked the Gun In The House ? today

In the days before the New Bolsheviks gained power I would have been in the "NOYFB" crowd (I did put that on the long form census in 1990). But today I figure my medical records will be in the hands of the Bolsheviks shortly, so I will lie and say NO, anything else WILL be taken as a YES. I will lie and evade on all medical forms in any manor not directly germane to my visit or long term health from this point forward.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by F350 View Post
    In the days before the New Bolsheviks gained power I would have been in the "NOYFB" crowd (I did put that on the long form census in 1990). But today I figure my medical records will be in the hands of the Bolsheviks shortly, so I will lie and say NO, anything else WILL be taken as a YES. I will lie and evade on all medical forms in any manor not directly germane to my visit or long term health from this point forward.
    You might be surprised by this. To a reasonable human being, a response of N/A or NOYFB, is interpreted as a yes, but someone entering the response into an electronic medical record can't just put an affirmative response where there isn't one. Depending upon who it is, he or she could (in theory) get in trouble for that. In all likelihood, what gets entered will be something along the lines of no, n/a, blank, or deferred.

Considering how conservative the culture of medicine is, I always found it strange how strong of an anti-gun bias there is. I about flipped a gasket during a couple of lectures in med school about firearms, when the professors cited misleading information or jumped to conclusions they shouldn't have.

That being said, if you are experiencing suicidal thoughts or are seeing a psychiatrist or mental health professional for any reason, you should answer such questions truthfully. Doing otherwise is unfair to your physician, your loved ones, and yourself.

-Grym

jfl
    My doctor asks me everytime: "What are you carrying today ?"
    Other firearm related question he asks me "Where can I find a decent price on an AR-15 ?"
    That's mighty fine with me.

It really surprises me how people feel they have to answer every questions in a written questionnaire unless so obligated.
    I usually leave many blank or NA.
    When asked verbally I tend to talk a lot and not say much; bores the other person and they will not ask another question
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

Does your doctor ask if you have a pool, did you drive to your appointment in a car, or do you eat red meat?

All these things statistically are much more dangerous than having a firearm in your house.

I like the NOYFB reply.

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    My doctor asked me if I had any guns in my house too. She then wanted to know what kind/caliber, where I went shooting, if I reloaded/hunted and if I could recommend a good carry holster. My kind of doctor!
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Quote Originally Posted by Spoonee View Post
    I feel my job at physicals as your physician is to assess your overall health and try to prevent all the common causes of mortality and morbidity.
    All due respect...

Firearms accidents are not a common cause of mortality.

As an adult it is MY JOB to protect myself and my family with respect to the storage and handling of my firearms.

I have a tremendous amount of respect for anyone that can go through the rigors of becoming a doctor. I would never challenge your expertise in dealing with medical issues but I think it is a real stretch to put firearms ownership, storage and handling under the umbrella of "medical issues" that should be addressed by doctors. I could swallow a paperclip and choke on it, does that mean doctors are now going to get involved in the dispensing, storage and usage of paperclips.

This is somewhat tongue in cheek but it's to make a point. To follow the logic you've expressed doctors should be asking questions related to what power tools are kept in the home. The question about firearms on a medical questionnaire is IMHO nothing more then another expression of the nanny state mentality.
    Martial Blade Concepts, Jiu-Jitsu & Eskrima NRA, GOA, NYSRPA, LIF, Old Bethpage Rifle & Pistol Club

The wife and I had this conversation when we were looking a Dr for the little one. I told her if the Dr asks if there are any guns in the house (or if it was on a form), we would instantly leave. I refuse to let a doctor take care of my family that is so irrational that they disagree with self-defense.

I would have to answered FO. Just because I am so PC

Never have seen that on my Doctor's forms, but I have talked guns with him in his office while he was showing me the 3 deer, several ducks and the other animal mounts he has on his office walls. He also showed me his Kimber .45 he keeps in his desk while at work, it's on his belt the rest of the time, we took our CC classes from the same instructor. Folks like him make me glad I live in rural Arkansas.
    Annual Member NRA 1972-88
    Life Member NRA 1988
    Endowment Member NRA 2013
    SAF Member 2013

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by samh View Post
    we took our CC classes from the same instructor.
    One of the instructor here conducts small group classes for just doctors -- as some want to keep it secret that they carry.

Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Second, as a physician I am an expert in what kills people.
    You may be an expert on what may/has killed people, but my military training makes it possible for you to learn how I did it.

Got asked the Gun In The House ? today--Update

Quote Originally Posted by MP45Man View Post
    I had to make a trip to my general practitioner today for some lingering problems I've finally go fed up with. I have not been there in two years so they had me fill out the obligatory forms. On one of the forms it asked me if I had a gun in the house. I answered yes. I suspect my physician is as liberal as they come. It will be interesting to see if anything is said going forward. I may be going back quite frequently if they can't find the problem. Stay tuned.
    I checked my mail today and I thought it was the results from my recent testing for the issues above. Well, it was the same form that I had filled out before. I have a physical scheduled for Nov. 6th and they wanted to be proactive and get the information. (Duh, they already have it). Nonetheless, I'm going to answer No on the form this time and see if my doc picks it up during the physical. I'm looking forward to a lively discussion.

I feel my job at physicals as your physician is to ...
    There are a hundred or more things that could kill me, a score of which might be considered common. But accidental gunshot injury isn't one of them.

With a belief that drilling into uncommon causes is your job, particularly if I feel that belief trumps my desire and right to choose my life's choices, you wouldn't be my physician, initially; nor for long, after making it clear. Fairly simply, what will get done is what we agree is in my best interest for my health, not what you unilaterally choose to think ... white coat or not.

As a physician, your job should be to improve the quality of life, not merely the delaying of death. A healer and client should be unified on this goal, if on nothing else.

BTW, I believe this holds true for anything, from medicine to troubles with the toilet. But, that's just me. YMMV.

Welcome to DC.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Why not anwer with "what good will do at the house if I am here?
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    Heh...I don't fill out any of them except the pertinent questions(symptoms, family history, etc...). Everything else gets left blank. Don't give them any room. If you answer some of them and only skip the obvious ones (firearms drugs etc...) then that leaves them room to think about it and form their own "opinion". By not answering ANY of them, they can't form any opinion ...

Sometimes the lack of knowledge is power.
    good idea , I've done this b 4
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Links