Got asked the Gun In The House ? today

This is a discussion on Got asked the Gun In The House ? today within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Ram Rod I take a yearly hearing test at my company given by a contractor. Their questionnaire had a couple of questions ...

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Got asked the Gun In The House ? today

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    I take a yearly hearing test at my company given by a contractor. Their questionnaire had a couple of questions I didn't much care for or answer about shooting guns. I let them know right off this was not pertinent information and frankly none of their business. The sign up sheets would also lay around on supervisors' desks the previous week with everyone's social security numbers in the open until the paperwork was given to the employee for the test. They don't do either of these things anymore. Now we just go and give our name when entering the testing van.
    Sounds like they are fishing for somewhere else to lay the blame in case you damage your hearing at work. Cant you hear the lawyer now. "this form states that you own and shoot firearms, how do we know that you use hearing protection when shooting, etc....
    In this day and age, its all about CYA. Thats probably the only reason the doctors ask too. I bet alot of idiots do answer the questions. Just wait until the government gets in the middle of our health system.
    Be careful what you wish for. You just might get it ......

2. Remove Ads

Just because someone asks a question, doesn't mean you are obigated to answer it. I think it's none of their business and wouldn't answer the question. If it's pertient to the care the physician is considering, I"ll answer it.

I see some dentist forms, where the questions has nothing to do with their job... and don't answer those either.

I would answer "Yes, I use it for surveying".

I actually do have a total station instrument for that purpose; they are very commonly referred to as a "gun".

My Dr. asks me everytime I go in. However we do shoot in the same gun club so I guess it is OK! I kind of got lucky there. My kids Pediatrician used to ask and would ask her "Why, you looking to buy one?" We work at the same hospital. Now when we take our kids in for the yearly checkup she just tells the med student taking the info that we have the gun education "covered". By using a bit of humor I was able to at least educate her enough that she doesn't bother us about it. Win Win as far as I was concerned.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Spoonee View Post
    All this being said, at every adult or pediatric physical I ask if there are firearms in the home.

I feel my job at physicals as your physician is to assess your overall health and try to prevent all the common causes of mortality and morbidity.

In adults I ask the same question for two reasons. First, by law they are responsible for their children's safety. Hence, they need to make sure to secure any weapons they have. Second, up to 7.5% of adult Americans are currently suffering from depression severe enough to effect their ability to function that means at least one adult patient in my average day at the office will be struggling with depression. The number one method of suicide in depressed people is by self inflicted gunshot wounds. If I ask about depression and firearms in adults it is to try and help avoid that outcome.
    first, I gotta say I in no way bash Doctors and I'm not bashing you, I respect the heck outta health professionals (I'm married to one). I'm sure you have the best intentions in the world.

IMO, the question on firearms has no merit whatsoever in the Dr's immediate care for a person unless there is a direct link to a firearm in their health issue or if they are discussing things about suicide/depression, etc., otherwise I don't think it should be discussed.
    I don't think Drs should be asking these questions because by law the parent's are responsible for their kid's safety/securing guns. This isn't any of the Dr's business. Its none of the Dr's business if I have flood insurance, fire extinguishers, have an alarm system in my house, This info doesn't need to be in a patient's records and it will be if its on the form they fill out.

I deal with suicidal people DAILY on my job. I have to confront them, get them to talk, and evaluate them. I'd venture to guess 99% of them do not use or consider using a firearm in their state of mind. In fact, I've been on suicidal person calls where they had guns in the house but chose pills, their knives/swords, or told us they were going down the street to jump off a bridge. Thinking that finding out if someone has a gun will prevent them from killing themselves is what the Brady bunch has in mind, direct anti-2A thinking. Suicide is suicide and trying to target guns isn't the solution.
    Dead is dead, in the words of Archie bunker "Would it make you feel any better, little girl, if they was pushed outta windows?"

I'm sorry, I just don't think this should be brought up by a Dr unless they are inquiring based on the patient being depressed or exhibiting any signs of suicidal thoughts/tendencies and needing to discuss it.

Quote:
    Second, as a physician I am an expert in what kills people.
    As a cop, I am an expert in what kills people. Other stupid or evil people...sometimes with guns. I have guns, but no stupid or evil people in the house. Therefore, the question is irrelevant.
    +1
    sometimes with cars, bats, tire irons, box cutters, switchblades, suffocation, fists, feet, shovel, drowning, fire, alcohol, drugs,
    I could go on for days

Quote Originally Posted by lazy
    you might want to just tell the DR the truth.
    what if the DR was to give you a Med and you had Psycotic reaction?
    so they only care in this situation about you having a gun....what about your butcher knife in the kitchen, car, baseball bat, bow & arrows, fence posts, , etc
    if they are prescribing medication they are required to inform you of its side effects, which are on the label of the bottle or printed out with the paperwork given with the bottle, again....this specific question isn't needed

Longrider and 2edgesword.....+1
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Quite simple ----do not answer----telling him to go f---- off would only give him a reply in the positive. Just do not answer you are not perjuring yourself in this case. When I renewed my license in Nassau County NYS---the form asked for any medications you are currently taking---many just answer NO---since the document is Notarized you have committed perjury. In spite of the HIPA law (Federal) which states that this not the business of anyone including the NCPD---they ask it. Not wishing to perjure myself I complied and went through a run around to my Doctor's office for a note and then I was forced to sit in the hallway until the Sarge (OIC) spoke to my Doctor. All in violation of the HIPA law, BTW the NRA did nothing and the NYSRPA did nothing as well, too small chickens for them do ya think?. "Doc"
    NRA Endowment Life
    NYSRPA Life
    NYSMLA
    NMLRA

VIP Member
    Last time I went to visit my doctor, I was carrying, and he didn't care, he was carrying too. I've got a great doctor!

Edit: Nice gun too, he was carrying a Sig P239 Stainless Elite in a CrossBreed Supertuck (the holster I recommended to him), he loves it!
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Makin a list, checkin it twice, gonna find out whose packin or not. Comin to your home one dayyyyyyyyy!

AHHH the holiday song...

You should of answered with "HELL YES and LOADED".

I go to the VA and I have been asked if I was depressed and did I own any firearms. and I answered No to both
    I am A Proud Descendant Of A Confederate Soldier

Sons of Confederate Veterans
    http://www.scv.org/
    Video
    http://www.scv.org/video.php

Just to throw another point of view in the discussion. If you knew that your doctor was Pro gun would people have as much of a issue answering the question?

Secondly, just becuase a question doesn't outright seem to pretain directly to the situation, that doesn't in any way shape or form mean that it doesn't or that it isnt important. I am not doctor but I am a IT guy and a large part of trouble shooting problems is asking a lot of questions. It amazes me the number of times people ask me "What does that have to do with anthing". The question might not be important in a narrow scope but could possibly be important in a overall scheme of things type of way.

I guess what I am getting at is if it bothers you so much why not ask why they are asking instead of assuming your doctor is some anti 2a raging liberal or it's some government conspiracy so they can track everyone that has a gun?
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by vonMesser View Post
    Quite simple ----do not answer----telling him to go f---- off would only give him a reply in the positive. Just do not answer you are not perjuring yourself in this case.
    as a side note: the question form isn't a legal sworn document (at least not any of the forms I've ever seen) so you technically aren't perjuring anything
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Quote Originally Posted by Spoonee View Post
    Anyone who has ever tried to resuscitate a 3 year old who was found floating in an unattended pool is qualified to suggest to other parents not to leave the pool unattended.
    Been there, Done that (several times)...NREMT-P here.... But in doing so gives me no right or makes me qualified to suggest how people live or keep their homes...

HTC Thunderbolt....4G Lightning Speed

Quote Originally Posted by sigmanluke View Post
    Last time I went to visit my doctor, I was carrying, and he didn't care, he was carrying too. I've got a great doctor!

Edit: Nice gun too, he was carrying a Sig P239 Stainless Elite in a CrossBreed Supertuck (the holster I recommended to him), he loves it!
    oh, how I hate living in CA - room for 2 more in UT?
    Last edited by tremor; November 7th, 2009 at 04:07 PM. Reason: spell

Quote Originally Posted by Rugergirl View Post
    Huh?
    Why is it any other their business?
    My standard answer for questions like that is "NOYFB" or "NA" if I'm in a good mood.
    I am lucky though my doc is a gun nut and a hunting nut and a fishing nut. Some of the conversations we have are about more than just health
    +1 on using Rugergirl's answer.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Links