PVC Pipe Target Stand - Page 2

PVC Pipe Target Stand

This is a discussion on PVC Pipe Target Stand within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Good thing about this Stand,.. is that you can fix your plumbing problems with it too!!...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: PVC Pipe Target Stand

los
    Good thing about this Stand,.. is that you can fix your plumbing problems with it too!!
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

VIP Member
    Well here the first one is.

The hardest part of the whole process is cutting the PVC. I cannot cut anything straight. I am a klutz with do it your self projects. Give me a kit that has screws, etc. and I can do wonders. If it requires cutting look out. In spite of my problems with the hacksaw (not being able to cut the PVC squarely) I think the first one turned out pretty good.

When I get through I will have less than $20 in each. I will also have several feet of PVC and two furring strips for the future.

George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Assistant Administrator
    Looks great to me George - now you've had the practice I need a couple too
    I cannot cut anything straight.
    Not sure if you've tried this but - take some 1" masking tape and wrap it round the cutting mark so it meets itself - if applied with care you'll have a good guide line to help cut square.

Other thing is - a fine tooth tenon saw sometimes does better because of the blade style - hacksaws love to ''wander''!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    Looks great to me George - now you've had the practice I need a couple too Not sure if you've tried this but - take some 1" masking tape and wrap it round the cutting mark so it meets itself - if applied with care you'll have a good guide line to help cut square.

Other thing is - a fine tooth tenon saw sometimes does better because of the blade style - hacksaws love to ''wander''!
    Chris, every saw I use loves to wander! If I take a miter box and cut a piece of wood the two end don't match. If you stick them back like they came apart you would think they were from different boards. I've gotten used to it. I think it has to do with being right handed and left eye dominant. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

The good thing about the PVC stands is that being a little off square is not a big problem. The pipe slides into the T or the elbow about an inch and ends up straight there. The end won't all be against the collar, but since there is no water pressure in target stands it's not a problem. Now I have to make the second one. This one should take about half as long. I have improved my cutting over the course of the first one.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

OD*
    Looks good to me too.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

VIP Member
    I don't know that the second one is any better than the first, but I do know that it was quicker. Here they are.

By the way these are made of only PVC no sand or anything to give them any extra weight. The wind has been a steady 12 mph with gusts up to about 20 mph and except for the corners and edges of the target flapping a little there has been no movement.
    Last edited by dr_cmg; April 14th, 2006 at 09:54 PM.
    George

Though it'd be good to bring this post up again for those that haven't seen it.

They make good stands and are pretty solid, not easy to tip. The only change I made was the two up-rights are 20" instead of 16". Since you have the material anyway, might as well use it there. 10ft. piece of PVC equals (5) 16" base pieces (2 on each side, 1 across front) and (2) 20" uprights.
    http://www.saf.org/ --- Fighting for American's Gun Rights
    http://GeorgiaCarry.org --- Fighting for Georgian's Gun Rights.
    http://Georgiapacking.org --- Discussion of Georgia Gun Laws.

Administrator
    Though it'd be good to bring this post up again for those that haven't seen it.
    That's fine....it's been awhile.

And just in case folks are wondering about the "mug talk" - that one pictured in my photo is a of a mug that Bumper gifted to all of the forum moderators. I still use mine.

I wanted to keep mine light-weight and finally opted for using 6 of those really long, heavy nails (through pre-drilled holes in the PVC) - those huge nails that are used for constructing railroad tie retaining walls.
    It can be quickly and easily "nailed" right into the ground and that prevents it from catching the breeze and toppling over.

Mine are similar, but I eliminate the one cross piece on the base.
    Attached Images
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    I just had a brilliant thought.

If you wanted to keep the stand PORTABLE then you could drill some holes in the base lengths of PVC & stake them right into the ground with long TENT PEGS.
    That way...you could "set up" to shoot without lugging anything heavy around.
    That sure might work!
    Added portability if you don't glue the PVC uprights; that way the uprights could be pulled out and the stand or multiple stands would lay very flat.
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by dr_cmg View Post
    I don't know that the second one is any better than the first, but I do know that it was quicker. Here they are.

By the way these are made of only PVC no sand or anything to give them any extra weight. The wind has been a steady 12 mph with gusts up to about 20 mph and except for the corners and edges of the target flapping a little there has been no movement.
    I hate to be a party pooper, but is your vinyl siding made of Kevlar?

VIP Member
    I love working with PVC and CPVC. Anyway, for the amateur plumbers, you sure can't do that with PEX.

Looks good and easy to throw together. About the suggestion to pre-drill holes and spike it to the ground. Might work for some, but when you shoot in an area with very rocky ground, you'll find yourself bending more spikes and having a hard time finding ground without a rock. Easier to use the sandbags or something else.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Quote Originally Posted by bbqgrill View Post
    Added portability if you don't glue the PVC uprights; that way the uprights could be pulled out and the stand or multiple stands would lay very flat.
    That's what I do with mine. glue the base, but not the uprights. Haven't found a need to anchor it to the ground or add weight to it. 1 1/2" Schedule 40 PVC makes a solid base that doesn't tip in wind.
    http://www.saf.org/ --- Fighting for American's Gun Rights
    http://GeorgiaCarry.org --- Fighting for Georgian's Gun Rights.
    http://Georgiapacking.org --- Discussion of Georgia Gun Laws.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links