Question for the Lefties

This is a discussion on Question for the Lefties within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am looking for a .22lr rifle (left-handed). I would like bolt-action around $500 or less - for target/plinking. I checked with my favorite gun ...

Thread: Question for the Lefties

VIP Member

Question for the Lefties

I am looking for a .22lr rifle (left-handed). I would like bolt-action around $500 or less - for target/plinking. I checked with my favorite gun shop and was told that only CZ and Savage make such a thing.

I have done a little checking on myown with little success. Does any one know of any other manufacturer that makes this configuration?

Thanks for your help.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

2. Remove Ads

I have only seen the Savage. It did not fit me right. I have basicly stuck to lever's ( Browning, Winchester and Marlin - no Henry's yet) and semi's ( 2 Ruger 10/22's) for my .22lr guns. However, I just picked up the Colt .22 AR carbine. It work great! I can work the safety with my left hand and the rear cocking handle functions fine. The mag release is on the right side just like my AR's. I love it.
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    If you could go semi-auto, Norinco makes the JW-20 which is a copy of Browning's .22. It ejects from the bottom, loads from the rear of the stock and is a take down model. It retails for far less than $500.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    Your price ceiling is going to be a problem. My solution, when I get the cash, is a Marlin 39A lever rifle, which is of course not a bolt rifle, but then, I only have one left-hand centerfire bolt rifle, and several centerfire lever rifles, so it makes sense for my first "understudy" .22 to be a lever rifle.

I have handled some BEAUTIFUL .22 bolt rifles made by Cooper. I might buy myself one as a retirement gift, when I can get to my deferred savings without IRS early withdrawal penalty.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by automatic slim View Post
    If you could go semi-auto, Norinco makes the JW-20 which is a copy of Browning's .22. It ejects from the bottom, loads from the rear of the stock and is a take down model. It retails for far less than $500.
    I know I could go with semi-auto and have more options, but I am looking specifically for bolt-action.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rexster View Post
    Your price ceiling is going to be a problem. My solution, when I get the cash, is a Marlin 39A lever rifle, which is of course not a bolt rifle, but then, I only have one left-hand centerfire bolt rifle, and several centerfire lever rifles, so it makes sense for my first "understudy" .22 to be a lever rifle.

I have handled some BEAUTIFUL .22 bolt rifles made by Cooper. I might buy myself one as a retirement gift, when I can get to my deferred savings without IRS early withdrawal penalty.
    I also know that if I spent a few hundred more I would have more options, but that is what I am budgeting for this purchase. I am not unhappy with Savage and CZ as choices. I just want to make sure I'm not missing another option in this price range.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

As a leftie longarm shooter I tend to "adapt" right handed guns to my needs. Either that or I develop a technique that lets me use a right handed gun with my left hand.

With rifles the reason I do this is because if I ever have to borrow a longarm I'm fairly confident that it will be a right handed version. Years ago I saw a guy borrow a right handed rifle after he dropped his custom left handed one. He sure spent a lot of time wiping the left side of that gun trying to work the bolt.

The point I'm trying to make is, when you get that nice game animal in your sights you will revert back to how you've trained. If you end up having to borrow a rifle the chances are very good that it will be a right handed version. For this reason I suggest that you stay with the right handed version for yourself and learn to adapt to it.

Biker

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    Another vote for a Savage here. They shoot quite well. You are not going to find a higher quality .22lr for less than $500. Especially in "southpaw"

Savage Arms Mark II Rimfire Series Model Mark II BTVS

Mark-II Rimfire Series
    Model MARK II-BTVS Left Hand
    Suggested Retail $441.00

Can't think of any others, besides CZ and Savage.

The CZ 452 in .22LR, for me, is one heck of a good fit with the Lux (euro-style) stock.

With Savage, you can get the AccuTrigger on certain models, which many folks like. On my Savage 12FLV .223 w/ AccuTrigger, I loved the clean break @ ~24oz. Along with a varmint barrel, the Savage can be amazingly accurate. As for fit, a number of after-market stock makers build models for the various Savage rifles.

Both should be under $500 (street).
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    Actually Im an oddball....Im a lefty rifle shot that hates lefty models. I perfer a righty model both on bolt guns and semiautos. But CZ and Savage both make fine left handed models, and a little hunting around could find ya one for your price.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

Senior Member Array Shadowsbane's Avatar
    Savage is the only ones I have ever handled. They make pretty decent stuff too.

When I had my mosin I got quite good at the ole reach around when working the bolt as well.
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

www.Lonelymountainleather.com

VIP Member
    Thanks everyone for your help and your wisdom on this subject. It is most aprreciated.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Browning is offering their T-Bolts in a left hand model this year. It is my understanding that even though the bolt handle is on the left, it still ejects to the right. You can probably get it within $50-$100 of your limit. I have a right handed T-Bolt Sporter in .22lr and it's a great little gun...worth a look.

Quote Originally Posted by TerriLi View Post
    Actually Im an oddball....Im a lefty rifle shot that hates lefty models.
    Same here. Too many years of learning to adapt to right handed guns have ruined left handed guns for. Pretty much any right handed gun without one of those screwy, discriminatory (), extreme thumbhole stocks is fair game.
    Kimber Pro Carry II
    SIG Sauer P229, 238, Mosquito
    Beretta 92FS
    Custom STI 1911
    Glock 17 Gen 3
    NRA LIFE MEMBER

Links