Reminder: Clean Your Carry Gun Often!

This is a discussion on Reminder: Clean Your Carry Gun Often! within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So I finish cleaning the Buckmark from Monday's shooting, and I decide it would be a good idea to clean the EDC gun. I usually ...

Thread: Reminder: Clean Your Carry Gun Often!

Reminder: Clean Your Carry Gun Often!

So I finish cleaning the Buckmark from Monday's shooting, and I decide it would be a good idea to clean the EDC gun. I usually vary between a Glock 36 or 26 and a Rohrbaugh R9, depending upon situation. Since we have a new dog, I've been wearing the 36 for our morning walks (since nothing deters a rabid raccoon like a .45 hollowpoint). In summer temps. And summer humidity. In Florida.

You see where I'm going with this. When I tore the 36 down this morning, about a tablespoon of condensation / sweat came out. The round that had been in the chamber ( a Speer Gold Dot) had oxidized green, and even the casing had started to oxidize black. The chamber was a mess, and it took about half an hour of scrubbing with a brass brush and bore cleaner to get it back to normal.

My normal procedure is to take the holstered gun out of my waistband and leave it on my desk to dry. After this morning's discovery, I'll be un-holstering the gun, dropping the mag, removing the chambered round and making sure everything is dry from this point forward. Every time I carry in the heat!

I'm about 99% sure it still would have gone bang, but why take chances? And yes, I've pulled the corroded round out of rotation. I'll get rid of it on my next range visit.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Good point. I'm amazed at the amount of fuzz/gunk/debris/etc. that makes it's way into the crevices of my EDC's, regardless of the holster.

Of course, since you have a Glock, it would have worked fine anyway...

'Just kidding folks, I also proudly own Ruger, S&W, Remington and am a mere wanna-be-owner of all the others.

Quote Originally Posted by UpOn2Wheels View Post
    When I tore the 36 down this morning, about atablespoon of condensation / sweat came out. The round that had been in the chamber ( a Speer Gold Dot) had oxidized green, and even the casing had started to oxidize black. The chamber was a mess, and it took about half an hour of scrubbing with a brass brush and bore cleaner to get it back to normal.
    Dang! Yeah, I'd say that was due for a cleaning.

I clean my EDCs weekly, usually on the weekend and after every trip to the range.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    Besides the normal after range cleaning, my EDC's get cleaned and re-lubed once every week. I also function check atleast twice p/wk.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

And after reading this thread, make sure you clear your gun before you go looking down the barrel to see what's in there.

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    Funny you mentioned this. I just cleaned my carry gun yesterday. And yes, it was fuzzy from lint, especially near the hammer, where it is exposed from the holster.
    "Don't Tread on Me"

My carry does get lint in the barrel after a few days. I wipe it out when I think about it mainly. The corroded ammo ordeal............this is why I do not leave my chamber loaded with the same round day after day in any of my Glocks. If the PD rounds start getting green and the chamber is starting to take on some pre-corrosion, then that should change habits right away. A possible downside to me chamberring and unloading day after day with my EDC is the setback possibilities that have been brought up time and again on the forum as well. But I do make habit of rotating my top round out every once in a while and unloading the mags for inspection of the magazines as well as the ammo. Anything out of the ordinary, and they go into the range ammo 'shoot ' box, or they get pulled (separate bullet from case, and dump powder into the plant food container). Only ammo I've ever had turn green or grow fuzz was in storage after becoming wet from a roof breach caused by a storm.
    Good reminder on cleaning your carry pistol as this gives you time to look at all associated equipment and it's condition. My Glocks make doing a daily cleaning rather easy, but I seldom clean the EDC even once a week, and I carry all the time. Maybe I should do better, but I haven't heard any complaints. After all, I give my EDC Glock what it needs most the better part of my day...........a warm loving body to be close to.

I use a quality can of compressed air that is normally sold for cleaning computer keyboards, etc. to blow out my EDC gun just about daily. Just make sure it is a quality can because the cheap ones have moisture.

If I don't visit the range, I do a regular wipe down with Remington wipes once a week on the internals.

I always do a thorough cleaning if I go to the range that week.

I clean my EDC (which isn't really everyday since I am in the Military) about once every week or 2. All the other guns get cleaned once a month. Unless of course I go to the range, then whatever has been shot will be cleaned.

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    I clean mine at least once a week. Usually find a fair amount of lint. I wear undershirts whenever I carry, and both holsters I use have a slide guard, so corrosion hasn't been an issue for me, even in the Texas heat.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

cmb
    I wipe down and check once per week and thoroughly clean twice a month (1st & 15th) and rotate mags on the 1st. Rotate chambered round also...

Man we must think a like. I do the same thing only i rotate mags once a week.
    NRA Member

Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

Forgiver me for an off the wall question with regard to ammunition deterioration. Would it be crazy to wipe down your rounds with a silicone cloth, clp or weapon shield. Would it preserve them or cause problems?
    "Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys."
    - P.J. O'Rourke, Civil Libertarian

- Nex ut Novus Universitas Ordo! -

Im from Missouri and we have high humidty...

Anyone who lives/lived in MO had any issue like this

I'v never had a round corrode that badly in an EDC gun. Just a few fuzzies every now and then.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Links