CZ 720 review

This is a discussion on CZ 720 review within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; A few months ago, I picked up a CZ 720. I wanted a inexpensive "beater" for lack of better terms. The goal was a have ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By SIXTO

Thread: CZ 720 review

Administrator

CZ 720 review

A few months ago, I picked up a CZ 720. I wanted a inexpensive "beater" for lack of better terms. The goal was a have a light weight 20ga field gun. I tend to shoot semi autos a little better than the doubles or even pumps. I rolled the dice on a CZ, mainly because of the CZ name. Plunked down my cash and ordered one up on blind CZ faith.

Now, I'm used to shooting Beretta's and high end Remington's. The CZ arrived in a cardboard box... not exactly how my normal shotguns show up. But, once the box was opened up my gun snobbery started to fade. CZ was nice enough to include 5 tubes as well; that was a pleasant surprise.

It looked really good. The Turkish walnut was nicely finished. The metal was not a glossy deep blue, but more of a park finish. Everything fit well, and looked nice. It was no Beretta or Benelli, but neither was the price tag. Again, my intention wasn't bling. It was for a no non sense light quick handling gun.

I'm going to compare my initial impressions to the LT 1100's. Except, the CZ has a nice wood stock, and seemed to swing a bit quicker and was lighter.

Now, it had to sit for weeks before I could get out to the farm. But, today was the day. Except, I forgot I don't have one 20ga shell. Off to wally world. I bought two of those Winchester 100 packs, and a box of high brass number 6's. I don't even know what it was... I just wanted something with a little more punch just in case the low brass was going to cut it during break in. I also tossed in a crate of clays just for good measure.

On to the range... It was a cold, windy and even rainy day. Perfect to simulate next months bird pursuits, but it was tough to get the clays to fly straight. Again, perfect for bird practice, but not so much for learning a new shotgun. Oh well, time is at a premium and today was the day.

90 birds later, and the CZ had performed flawless. No bumps, no stoppages what so ever. Even with the low powered value pack stuff, nothing. That is somewhat rare in a new semi auto gun. Most experts will tell you to run a box of the high powered stuff to loosen things up first. The CZ ate everything. Even doing some high speed double and even triple birds, the action was plenty fast. I think it is even faster than my beloved 391 Teknys... the one that costs triple what the CZ did. Don't tell anyone, but I think it handles just as nice too.

So, in the cold and rain shooting low powered ammo in a dirty gun, the CZ was awesome. It was quick and reliable. What more can I ask for? Oh, I know... a fair price. Yup, CZ did that too. I paid less than $400... retail is right around 5.

Once again CZ has really impressed me, and that isn't easy to do.

And less than a month until opening day.
    pistola likes this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

2. Remove Ads

Sounds like you got yourself a winner...a true diamond in the rough.

I aint a big bird hunter...not many running around my parts anymore. That being said..I just like your new truck on the sig line. LOL
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

I'm not a hunter at all, but it sounds like you've made a great choice in your bird hunting shotgun selection & at a great price too.

I also wanted to say that I like your new ASCII sig. Very creative, I don't think I've ever seen one of those before, an 18 wheeler sig.
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

Administrator
    Thanks Katana.

I know there isnt a whole lot of interest in bird guns here, but I'll update this anyway. (JD, Lima, You guys are in Iowa now... thats prime bird country. I'll be out there in a month chasing the Japenese ditch chickens.)

I was out shooting clays on the farm today, I shot a box each of high brass #4's and 6's. The gun handled them like a champ, and I broke all the clay that the launcher sent out. Well, OK... I missed two doubles. With a modified choke, it was very easy for the gun to break clays even using heavier shot. No miscycles at all. I still say this is a great gun for little money.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Sounds like you have a winner. Maybe this will break you of your gun snobbery, and we'll have you packing a Hi-point .40 with a Raven .25 as a BUG (kidding, of course).

Hopefully you and your CZ can go get lots of birds, since you spend all your money on high-end shotguns instead of feeding yourself.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Links