New Handgun

This is a discussion on New Handgun within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Glock 26, and get one for the wife too. Retire that highpoint....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Handgun

Glock 26, and get one for the wife too. Retire that highpoint.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

2. Remove Ads

cmb
    I wouldn't carry the highpoint or let my wife carry it. I have a C9 and I shoot it and so does my wife but it is thick and heavy. My full size 1911 is lighter! and thinner for that matter. Check out Kel-tec (pf9, p11, p3at), Kahr (pm9), Glock (26), Springfield xd, Taurus (Millenium Series) on the autos and you are onto snubbies already, Ruger LCP, S&W 642 (among others), Taurus CIA's... there are too many too list... Could get mathcing pistols if you find one that fits you and your wife, same ammo and accesories, and have familiarity! Will you use it at home also, carry only, and how will you carry all matters. Men and women often carry different. Semiauto over revolver issue to deal with... will you field strip and maintain (some are easy and some not so much), how often will you clean, how often will you practice, do you own other guns, are you used to shooting other guns (double action only, double action / single action, single action w/manual safety, second strike capability etc... what can you conceal, present and shoot accurately...

keep reading this forum, these men and women have great insight and advice and we are happy to help, at the end of the day it is your gun, your family, your lives, and your money...

be safe, once you start buying watch out, you may not be able to stop.

I also have a Glock 23. I love it. It is mid-size with a "mid-size" caliber. If I were to describe the caliber, it is between a 9mm and 45. The 40 cal round is like the Rodney Dangerfield of bullets. It gets no respect. Personally, 40 cal works great for me.
    Heavily Medicated For Your Protection

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    'What ibesarcasm said...

The only thing I would add is consider ammo availability. I don't own a .40 cal, and wouldn't you know that everywhere I go, there are piles of it on the shelf and it's dirt cheap.
    dirt cheap send me some 40 cal. The research i have done and the reason i went with the 40 cal is because alot of law enforcement use it over the 9mm.
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

VIP Member
    Go to a range that rents guns and shoot a bunch of 'em... borrow or go shooting your friend's guns and if at all possible, try 'em before you buy 'em. It'll save you a lot of money in the long run!

Or, you can just learn to shoot what I like!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

welcome....if you're going to give the wife your hi-point make sure she gets a lot of practice with it and can rack the slide.

like everyone said, go to a range that rents firearms. if you're just starting out it's not enough just holding the gun, hold it fully loaded and fire it...you'll get a better picture of the gun that way.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links