Defensive Carry banner

Pistol License Reinstatement

3K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Jefferson 
#1 ·
Dear DC,

I was issued a tagret pistol license when I lived in Brooklyn, N.Y. over 20 years ago. Since then, I let my pistol license lapse due, at that time, to the expense (renewal costs & range fees) and have also legally changed my name. I now reside in Putnam County and would like to join a range, but I know this would not be possible until I reinstate the license and put it under my new name. I am wondering if you could provide me with some advice as to how I should handle this delicate matter. Would I be obligated to pay a fine and a fee for reinstatement? Would they deny the reinstatement and therefore have me turn in my pistol? Any direction would be helpful.

Thank you in advance.

#2 ·
I don't have any specific knowledge of your county but I would imagine you have to apply as if you never had one. On the application it will ask if you have ever been denied a permit for any reason, which you haven't. It does not (that I can remember) ask if you have ever had one before.

I would call your local issuing agency and ask them, that's the only sure way to get correct info.

application with instructions and info:
http://www.putnamsheriff.com//files/pistol.pdf

If you possess a pistol without a valid license you are committing a felony. You should surrender it to an FFL holder until you get a permit.

#3 ·
Thanks for the information darkvibe. I didn't realize this was a felony; especially since I did have a license at on point. I obtained the license when I was on the list to become a police officer way back when and I moved since then, so I didn't know what to do with the pistol. Would I just contact a local FFL holder and give them the firearm? Would I get in any trouble for doing this? Would it be better to hand it in to the Putnam County Sheriffs Deptartment? What happens to the firearm if I am denied another license? I am thinking this could be the case if they see that I have let my license lapse for what I believe is close to 20 years now.

#4 ·
Law enforcement agencies will take pistols as far as I know. Beats me what happens to it when they get it. Stored safely? Tossed in a box? Who knows. An FFL will probably return it to you in the condition you gave it to them.

As for getting in trouble... I know the law says you can't get in trouble for surrendering a pistol to the police. I have no idea if that applies for giving it to an FFL. I would probably call and FFL, explain the situation and that you didn't know it was illegal to possess w/o a permit and ask if he can hold it for you while you wait for your permit. Most will hold them for a fee and then transfer it back to you once you have your permit in hand. If you are denied (I don't know why you would be if you have no mental/criminal history, letting your NYC permit lapse doesn't seem like grounds to deny) then you could always sell it and let the buyer pick it up form the FFL.

#5 ·
First and foremost you are going to have to legally dispose of any firearms in your possession as being in possession of them without a license is a big no-no. Then, since you live in Putnam you can not renew your NYC license, so you would have to go to the Putnam County Sheriff's office and apply for a new license. After that you can then legally possess your weapons again or you can get a LEO like me:) to hold onto your weapon for you until you get a license as NYS leo's can take possession of any weapon that is not theirs. Getting caught with a weapon outside of your home is actually a heavier charge than getting caught with it inside your home. Technically right now you are committing a felony.

#8 ·
Thanks for all the advice. I set up an appointment to turn the firearm over to a local FFL, but I am still concerned about being arrested for allowing the license to lapse. Has this ever happened to anyones knowledge? Also, they advised me that the service fee would be $30 for taking posession of the firearm and that they would file a P-12 form with the state police. It is understood that if I am denied another license, they would sell the gun for me. But what if I am able to get another license? Would I just pick it up from them at no additional cost? Is that how it works?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.