45ACP & hunting?

This is a discussion on 45ACP & hunting? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...lack-bear.html Got me wondering. Has anyone hunted with 45 ACP? I have Fiocchi 230gr FMJ. I have always used 30.06 168 Nosler Ballistic Tip ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 45ACP & hunting?

45ACP & hunting?

This http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...lack-bear.html

Got me wondering. Has anyone hunted with 45 ACP? I have Fiocchi 230gr FMJ. I have always used 30.06 168 Nosler Ballistic Tip or 35 Whelen 250gr Speer soft point, which I have seen go the whole length of a deer brisket to hips!
    So the prospect of hunting with this sounds fun, but mostly it will be piece of mind backup!
    “The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.”

Patrick Henry
    Quote Originally Posted by UnklFungus
    If it is ok to disarm legal citizens to reduce crime, then doesn't it stand to disband the military to prevent war?

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    This was addressed when some members from the CastBoolits forum got together and built a bullet specifically for hunting. They figured out the largest metplat that could be successfully fed by the ACP gun and made a blueprint.Then they sent off the mold to the Lee Company and had a custom built bullet mold buy. I got in on this buy and bought a mold and tried them out with several different powder loads.

All of them worked well and all of them were pretty accurate. Although I have yet to whack a deer, I have whacked several other critters with them and they performed as well as anything out there killing all of them dead right there.

I've always thought that the .45 ACP was a bit light for deer though several people that I know have shot deer with them. I've dispatched a few deer with my Glock 21, but it was with the Remington Gold Dot that was issued to me, and the deer were in bad shape to begin with.

With the right bullet it might be OK out to say, 40 yards or so, but much beyond that would be pushing it I think.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Senior Member Array digitalexplr's Avatar
    Dispatched a deer one night with my .38spl. I was carrying 158gr SWC's if I remember correctly (small department. We carried whatever we wanted.) This was 30 years ago.
    NRA Life Member

OD*
    I have two friends that hunt regularly with 1911s in 45acp.

Jared took his small Texas dear with 230gr Gold Dots, they seemed to have worked very well indeed.

(I cropped the picture, I don't know if he would care if I used it or not.)

"The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Senior Moderator
    No doubt about that one.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Deer hunting with a 1911? I think the only more manly way to do it would be with a knife or sharp stick

Shot this guy with WWB 230 jhp's.

A good accurate .45 with a full power load behind a good JHP will do the job, but there are far better choices for hunting.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Any idea what the range was on that deer OD? Don't see any powder burns!

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnD13 View Post
    Any idea what the range was on that deer OD? Don't see any powder burns!
    IIRC, Jared said it was just under 40 yards.

~ Tiger McKee

Well it will get the job done...obviously, but an ethical hunter must make absoultely sure of shot placement as we all see it is marginal in most situations, or it would be a much more popular choice. No need in shooting an animal and then it runnign off and dying a death undeserving of one of these beautiful creatures. Becaus they run off and the hunter cant find them and they die from infection or lay and rot in the woods.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

I used my carry gun to drill a 300 pound feral hog a few years back; don't have a pic of the hog, but do have the slug I got out, for the record it was a 165 grain corbon round.....
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by safarigene View Post
    Shot this guy with WWB 230 jhp's.
    Nice piggy.

~ Tiger McKee

Quote Originally Posted by jwhite75 View Post
    Well it will get the job done...obviously, but an ethical hunter must make absoultely sure of shot placement as we all see it is marginal in most situations, or it would be a much more popular choice. No need in shooting an animal and then it runnign off and dying a death undeserving of one of these beautiful creatures. Becaus they run off and the hunter cant find them and they die from infection or lay and rot in the woods.

That applies whether one is using a .22 short or a .500 S&W.

Know your caliber, know it's limitations, and know your (as a shooter) limitations.

I know someone who took a deer at about 15 yards with a G21 and a 230+P XTP. Fully penetrated the chest, deer dropped within 20 yards.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

My uncle took down an 8 pointer on his property in WV 2 seasons ago with 230gr gold dots from a 1911 at approx 20-25 yrds. It can be done.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links