How many of you get a blood test every year?

This is a discussion on How many of you get a blood test every year? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Just out of curiosity, what if you do have heightened levels of lead, what can/would they do?...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How many of you get a blood test every year?

Just out of curiosity, what if you do have heightened levels of lead, what can/would they do?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    It IS an STD.

Shooting Transmitted Disease
    You got me on that one.......

You know......by bringing this up, some liberal is gonna want ban bullets like they did chinese toys because of lead based paint!!

On the serious side..... no, guess I have never thought about lead in the blood needing tested for....guess we mostly think we do not handle enough lead to be worried about it..... might make for interested studies....... I DO however practice safe shooting.....
    Sarcasm - Just one of the many services I provide!
    Ever wonder why massacres never happen at a gun range??
    You might find me dead in a ditch one day, but I'll be in a pile of brass. - Stolen from Zebra64

Had a Range Supervisor get pulled off the line for 2-3 months b/c of high levels not too long ago - he has spent many years running an an outdoor range, so it does take a while. Men process lead out of their bodies easier than women, kids (especially under 6), or pregnant women. We always cringe when we see little kids come to the range especially on busy days - not b/c we don't want them shooting, but parents don't think about size appropriate hearing/eye protection, hygiene, or just coming to the range on off days to minimize the airborne risk. People store lead not just in soft tissues, but also bones which leach the lead out over time. Kids are more susceptible to long term issues like palsy, learning probems, other permanent neurological problems - keep an eye on them.

I think it is just a waiting game for your body to rid itself of toxins. Wiki says chelation therapy also works and having appropriate levels of Ca, Zn, and Iron is preventative. The lead problem is more the airborne particles from primers firing, inhaled or ingested, than handling ammunition or components so not reloading isn't a pass on the tests, while shooting at indoor ranges is a red flag.

Good thing to bring up Bunny.

Bunny- Great advice. The Doc only checks for xyz unless you ask for a thru w (but you gotta pay for it).

I shoot at the same range you do and you know.... it can get dang hot there and I always bring water and drink it right there where I'm shooting. And we do the same thing when we shoot at my wife's dad's farm. I'll start keeping it in a cooler and drink it at the car. The one thing we do sorta right is everybody cleans there hands with hand sanitizer before we leave.

Is the problem with lead that I'm drinking water where the gun was shot or that I have lead residue on my hands? or both? Maybe we need to shoot some, wash up, and then drink water???

Good post.

How would a Crip ask for a blood test?

I poured lead to make bullets for about ten years and it never thought about a blood test for lead.I will ask for a lead test on my next check up. Thanks for the post.

Hardlivin - problem is drinking on the range, residue on your hands, and breathing on the range.

VIP Member
    When I ran a range I did. Never highers than a 4-5 level. So I was fine. I was fastidious about cleanup when working with everything on the range. Gloves aren't a bad idea.

As for treatment, the only treatment I know of is avoidance of the source of the contamination. As noted you will process the lead out slowly. You will need to return for a level check before resuming the activity. You may also want to identify how your levels became elevated.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    Don't forget to wear gloves while cleaning your guns, as the combo of lead and solvents can accelerate absorption into the body.

VIP Member
    Good scoop Bunster!

I'm guilty of going from shooting straight to a fast food joint... I'm going to both add a way to wash after shooting and ask the Dr. to check if I have lead anywhere besides my butt!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    Been told to get the lead out of my Maybe some relevance here???
    Proud NRA member

I get mine tested as part of my annual physical. I am normally at a 3, and I do a fair amount of casting. I was at a 4 once, but I went and donated blood. Was at a 3 again next time.

Thanks for the heads up, but the lead exposure thing is mostly a greeny scare tactic. You have to be exposed to a lot of lead, as in drinking from lead crystal or out of lead pipes, for years before it becomes an issue. I still have the doc run a lead test every year though...

Edit: be prepared for the doctor to ask you why you think you need to be tested. Every new doc I have had has asked me why I think I have been exposed to lead. My normal response is NOYFB, run the test please.

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BaserRonin View Post
    I get mine tested as part of my annual physical. I am normally at a 3, and I do a fair amount of casting. I was at a 4 once, but I went and donated blood. Was at a 3 again next time.

Thanks for the heads up, but the lead exposure thing is mostly a greeny scare tactic. You have to be exposed to a lot of lead, as in drinking from lead crystal or out of lead pipes, for years before it becomes an issue. I still have the doc run a lead test every year though...

Edit: be prepared for the doctor to ask you why you think you need to be tested. Every new doc I have had has asked me why I think I have been exposed to lead. My normal response is NOYFB, run the test please.
    I dunno about it being Greeny, our NRA instructor taught us this when we were going through instructor training, and there are a few RSOs here who will tell folks the same thing. I think more because it's something that you just don't really think about, but it's a possibility, so it forces folks to think more about hygiene and stuff. But that's just my own theory.

My son and I have the same family physician. We went in for our physicals together last month. I said "By the way, now that I'm an instructor, I'd like to have a lead panel run as well. Junior too. We shoot together often, and it's probably a good idea." He said "Oh, absolutely, good idea, I'll add that to the panel."

*shrug*

He's a pretty cool doc. :)
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BaserRonin View Post
    My normal response is NOYFB, run the test please.
    That works, too!
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

I have blood tests run a few times a year, part of the job requirements. I don't know if the military tests for lead though, I'm gonna have to ask the docs about that one. It would seem like a good thing to check for with us grunts, since proper hygiene isn't always possible in the field. Thanks for the tip Bunny.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links