Another new gun! A 10/22 on 10/22! (2009)

This is a discussion on Another new gun! A 10/22 on 10/22! (2009) within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hello everyone - I bought something today that has been on the wish list for quite some time, and I thought - what better time ...

Thread: Another new gun! A 10/22 on 10/22! (2009)

Another new gun! A 10/22 on 10/22! (2009)

Hello everyone - I bought something today that has been on the wish list for quite some time, and I thought - what better time to buy a Ruger 10/22 than on 10/22/09? It made sense to me!
    It was a planned purchase and I was going to wait until this weekend or so - but it hit me today that 10/22 would be a fun time to buy one so there ya go! My Dad taught me to shoot and taught me gun safety with his ruger .22 when I was only 6 or 7 years old (that was about 22-23 years ago already) and I've always wanted one of my own. I have a mossberg .22 that I got used that had probably never been cleaned and its been a jam-o-matic so I would usually just steal my Dads 10/22 when I'd go on a gopher rampage or target shooting. Now that my dad (and his gun) are 700 some miles away I felt it was time to get my own.. I'll keep it mostly stock - could be tempted for a new trigger someday, maybe bed the stock or go for a laminate stock (like the wood/blued look though). I will put a Nikon 4x scope on it in the very near future. Anyhow 22lr is much cheaper than my centerfire rifle ammo or feeding my HK usp .40! Looking forward to having some fun with this one!
    Last edited by MtflyerHK; October 23rd, 2009 at 01:05 AM.

2. Remove Ads

Coincidentally, I just bought a 10/22 today too (my first rifle!) and I didn't even think about the date until you mentioned it. Congrats!

Just got a new barrel for one of mine today!
    Congratulations on you all's new 10/22s! I've been spending a little bit of time over at rimfirecentral this past week. I could get to spending a lot more time over there real easily! Great site, and plenty of tips and tricks to keep you and your Ruger 10/22 busy! We'll wait for pictures I guess.

I didn't buy a 10/22 today but I shot my 30 + year old 10/22 today. It still shots great and puts a smile on my face.
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

Ah dang.. I havn't even shot the thing and I've already ordered a metal barrel band and butt plate... thinking I'll do something with the trigger in the future too... Why didn't anyone warn me of the severity of this ruger 10/22 sickness??

I have 2,one is a USST commemorative edition1 and the other was a stock stainlessw/walnut stock,I bought a stainless bull barrel and a grn/tan laminated stock with a 3x9 scope,I haven't shot them in awhile,I have so many guns that even tho I shoot about 3 hours a week I usually don't get past my carry pistols,I need to set aside one day of just rimfire guns
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Beings this thread has already gone long enough without pics, I figured I might as well post my newest creation. Got the Boyd's stock off EBay unfinished for a real good price...finished it myself (12 coats of Deft Clear semi-gloss), and the new ERShaw 18" helical fluted barrel. In the works........flanged pillar bedding.

Cool lookin rifle Ram Rod, very sharp!
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

A fitting date for a fitting gun...a great little rifle for anyone.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Have fun with your new riffle. I'm on my third one now.
    Magnum Research model 1722.
    What kind of aftermarket mags are you guys having the best luck with?
    I have not had much luck with Butler Creek without jamming. the stock mags run fine.

Sig P250 9mm
    Ed Brown 1911 Kobra 45ACP
    Ruger Mark III 22
    Browning Silver 12ga
    Browning BAR 30-06

Quote Originally Posted by mig7410 View Post
    Have fun with your new riffle. I'm on my third one now.
    Magnum Research model 1722.
    What kind of aftermarket mags are you guys having the best luck with?
    I have not had much luck with Butler Creek without jamming. the stock mags run fine.

Was told butler creek were fine as long as you got the metal "lips"....
    My wifes family takes the stock 10 rounders and silicones them back to back for a twenty round "flip/flop" mag. This allows two things to happen....one you have an extra 10 rounds, and two...... you can reload the mag on the bottom while firing from the top mag for SHTF.

No mater what you get....dont get plastic feed lips..........
    Sarcasm - Just one of the many services I provide!
    Ever wonder why massacres never happen at a gun range??
    You might find me dead in a ditch one day, but I'll be in a pile of brass. - Stolen from Zebra64

You'll need to do some work on the Hogue over-molded stock in order for the factory magazines to drop free. I wrote my findings in a short article on another forum some time ago. I do suggest sticking with the factory magazines in the 10/22, or at least the ones that specify they have the metal fed lips. I have one Eagle 30 round mag that can be a PITA sometimes. All plastic even the lips...it stays in my closet most of the time.
    The Hogue stock article:
    Hogue overmolded stock for Ruger 10/22

Alright - I'll bite... Here are some pics of my new addition..

No frills - nothing special wood/blued carbine model. Not really impressed with the plastic trigger housing though.. I guess its a trade off between waiting and finding a good condition used model or getting a new barrel and reciever. Oh well.. excited to shoot it though and hope to mount a good 4x scope on it soon.

Distinguished Member Array mathewsman's Avatar
    congrats
    NRA sence 2003 Colt defender Taurus .357 mag
    Taurus tcp x box gamer tag mathewsman

Links