Home Insurance Quote and Firearm disclosure?

This is a discussion on Home Insurance Quote and Firearm disclosure? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; When applying for home insurance, should you disclose the amount of firearms you have, monetarily-speaking? It's a question on my quote.......

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

When applying for home insurance, should you disclose the amount of firearms you have, monetarily-speaking? It's a question on my quote....

JD
    Administrator
    Do you want the guns insured?

I imagine if you dont disclose them you would have no claim if they were stolen or damaged. I would hope they wouldnt charge a higher premium due to guns in the house but I dont know how all that works.
    Springfield Armory XD 9mm service
    Sig Sauer P250c 9mm

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

Of course, but they are in a safe and I don't really care that they know how many firearms I have.

Quote Originally Posted by LowValueTrgt View Post
    When applying for home insurance, should you disclose the amount of firearms you have, monetarily-speaking? It's a question on my quote....

The question is for their benefit not necessary yours.

Itís a question like: do you hang-glide?

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Bfunk View Post
    I imagine if you dont disclose them you would have no claim if they were stolen or damaged. I would hope they wouldnt charge a higher premium due to guns in the house but I dont know how all that works.
    Well...

It depends on what you have. I had to get a separate policy for the guns all together when I was in PA/VA. Here in IA they are included but I had a higher premium due to the $$$ value of our collection.

Some insurance companies are even "funny" about what kinds of guns you have, the company I was with in PA and VA wouldn't insure my Bushmaster, as it's an "assault weapon" The company I'm with now doesn't care and insured them all.

My insurance comes with a $5,000 cap on firearms automatically. I purchased an inexpensive rider to raise the limit to $50K.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    Answer all questions honestly. Failing to do so can have some nasty consequences (from loosing coverage on things to insurance fraud). Read and understand your policy carefully.

Take photos and videos detailing the contents of your entire house. Scan/xerox receipts or appraisals for valuable items and your insurance policy as well. Store them with an out of state relative and on a encrypted flash drive in your bug out bag.

In the event you need to file a claim it really helps to have documentation of what was lost.

It's a 'specialty' item and there are policy "limits". IF the values are above the limits on the policy, they will suggest an endorsement or expansion of coverage ..... for a fee.

Read your fine print. They may not cover guns or limit the total amount covered to a low number.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...insurance.html

NCM
    Mine wanted the names and serial numbers. I didn't have much of an issue with it since it is just to allow them to be reported stolen if it comes to that.

I wouldn't call some more controversial weapons like AR-15s or AK-47 clones by those names. Just Sabre Defense Rifle or Rock River Arms Carbine. Some home owners will not cover 'assault weapons'. They can't define what an assault weapon is when asked, but still will hang up on you.

I think I have 10k coverage right now, but thinking I need more. I wonder how the figure accessories. They are not *firearms* so Aimpoints, ACOGs, cronographs, timers etc should be covered by your normal HO coverage, right?

Quote Originally Posted by LowValueTrgt View Post
    I'd think it depends on your specific insurance policy. You can just ask your agent whether prior declaration of personal items is required for coverage in the event of a loss, or whether you can simply document them now and present if/when a claim occurs.

I have a blanket rider on my homeowners insurance that covers personal, household/garage items up to a given dollar amount. I've got each of the firearms photographed, documented and stored in the safe, along with a copy of the documentation in the bank safe deposit box (photo, description, bill of sale, etc). The insurance company doesn't care (or need) to know the details, unless/until a loss occurs. YMMV.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I visited with my insurance agent just this past week to check coverages and amounts. I specifically asked if my firearm collection needed to be scheduled. My agent called the underwriter to check and in my case, no. Unless I had some really expensive collector's grade firearms.

You really need to make sure about your policy. I was prepared to take out an additional policy for about $500 per year in premiums until I found out I was already covered under my existing policy.
    Glock, Colt, S&W,Beretta,ParaOrdnance
    Springfields, Browning, Keltec... to name a few.

TSRA, NRA, IDPA, IPSC, USPSA
    NRA Certified RSO and Instructor
    Certified CHL Instructor in Texas and Lousisiana

Quote Originally Posted by NCM View Post
    Mine wanted the names and serial numbers. I didn't have much of an issue with it since it is just to allow them to be reported stolen if it comes to that.
    Unless REQUIRED for coverage, I would say this is a bad idea. My dad did the same thing once 22 years ago. Two days after listing every rare and collectible gun he owned, their apartment was broken into and every single gun was taken, but nothing else in the apartment was touched, cash, jewelry, nothing. Suspicious?

Quote Originally Posted by spwz99 View Post
    My dad did the same thing once 22 years ago. Two days after listing every rare and collectible gun he owned, their apartment was broken into and every single gun was taken ...
    Yup. Whether it was due to an "inside" job or not, involving some schmuck at the insurance company, we'll never know. But, the mere possibility is reason enough to not divulge what you need not divulge.

For example, mine is "blanket" coverage of personal items up to $XYZ amount. If my place gets cleaned out, I make a list of what's missing and the total dollar value to replace the items, then I get a check cut. I would think that many insurance policies can be set up in this way, if you ask or push.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links