Thinking about getting a .22 for a "fun gun"...

This is a discussion on Thinking about getting a .22 for a "fun gun"... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; In .22, I find that jams take away from the fun. .22 ammo is cheap and dirty, so I've decided that my .22 rifles will ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thinking about getting a .22 for a "fun gun"...

In .22, I find that jams take away from the fun. .22 ammo is cheap and dirty, so I've decided that my .22 rifles will be bolt action (lever guns would be ok too), and my .22 handguns will be revolvers (will be picking up a used Iver Johnson .22 8 shot revolver soon - only $149!).
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    In .22, I find that jams take away from the fun. .22 ammo is cheap and dirty, so I've decided that my .22 rifles will be bolt action (lever guns would be ok too), and my .22 handguns will be revolvers (will be picking up a used Iver Johnson .22 8 shot revolver soon - only $149!).
    I understand where you're coming from with the revolver, but, have you checked out the Walther P22? If I were to get a .22 handgun the Walther P22 would be the one.

VIP Member
    Walther P22.

I had one and it was a lemon. I sent it back for repair and it sits in the safe now. I got a Browning Buckmark which is a great little shooter and I got a S&W Model 41 which I shoot the most. I picked it up from a member on this site.

Pay a little extra and get a lot more out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by ccman View Post
    Walther P22.

I had one and it was a lemon. I sent it back for repair and it sits in the safe now. I got a Browning Buckmark which is a great little shooter and I got a S&W Model 41 which I shoot the most. I picked it up from a member on this site.

Pay a little extra and get a lot more out of it.
    I read that there was a problem because people were not shooting high velocity ammo, that caused there to be an ejection problem. That's not uncommon with .22 auto pistols. What problem did you have with your gun?

If you need to use the more expensive, high velocity .22 ammo to make your pistol work - what is the point of using a .22?

That's why I decided my .22 handgun will be a revolver. Shoots anything. If you get a dud, just pull the trigger again (note that the ONLY duds I have ever personally experienced have all been with .22 ammo).

While malfunctions/duds/jams are not a big deal if the gun is only used for fun, I find that dealing with these issues takes away from the enjoyment of shooting. So, like I said, for .22 it's revolvers and bolt guns for me!
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

I have a bunch of .22's in both rifle and handgun but I just obtained my FAVORITE! A COLT .22 AR Carbine. Accurate, same controls as my reg AR, same weight and takes the same accessories. WHAT A FUN GUN!!!
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    I'm thinking about the ruger 10 22 in their "Kinda like an AR" Platform:

Ruger 10/22®*Autoloading*Rifles
    For God, Family and Country!

VIP Member
    Bart.
    I read that there was a problem because people were not shooting high velocity ammo, that caused there to be an ejection problem. That's not uncommon with .22 auto pistols. What problem did you have with your gun?

I used federal bulk high velocity. They would not eject when fired and miss fire. Then I went with the CCI high velocity no better. I returned to S&W and they replaced the hammer and other internal parts. I lost interest in it and it sits in the safe.

Quote Originally Posted by ccman View Post
    Bart.

I used federal bulk high velocity. They would not eject when fired and miss fire. Then I went with the CCI high velocity no better. I returned to S&W and they replaced the hammer and other internal parts. I lost interest in it and it sits in the safe.
    Thanks for your answer. Poop does happen... bumber.

I have a bunch of .22's in both rifle and handgun but I just obtained my FAVORITE! A COLT .22 AR Carbine. Accurate, same controls as my reg AR, same weight and takes the same accessories. WHAT A FUN GUN!!!

Exactly what I was thinking. Get the Colt 22lr on the AR platform. About the same price as the MP-5 carbine, and worlds of aftermarket goodies for it. It will also be an excellent trainer for the AR you will eventually get------------God willing, and the lefties are not successful in banning all those evil things! Just a thought, for about $200-$300 more, you can actually get an AR-------------just sayin.
    str1

Locally, the S&W M&P 15/22 is cheaper than the GSG-5 (not by much, asking price is only $30 cheaper), but I really like the way it feels compared to the GSG-5.

If you're looking for a fun gun, you might want to give that some consideration as well.
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    Thanks for the advice guys. Next time I head to the range I'll swing by the store inside and talk to the guy who works there. Maybe get to handle a bunch of them and do some price checking. I like doing research before heading to a gun show... just to make sure I don't get ripped off.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links