Thinking about getting a .22 for a "fun gun"...

This is a discussion on Thinking about getting a .22 for a "fun gun"... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So i've been thinking about getting an AR (Maybe an AK or M4) for a long time, but the price tag is a little high ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar

So i've been thinking about getting an AR (Maybe an AK or M4) for a long time, but the price tag is a little high at the moment... Then I was thinking about what size round I'd like, and I started thinking about getting a .22 due to the fact the ammo seems to be dirt cheap and the only thing I can count on Walmart keeping in stock...

This is purely a "fun gun"... Not exactly what I'd grab if someone was breaking into my house...

I was thinking about the GSG-5 (MP5 clone) in .22LR.

(Here's a link.)

I have to admit I love the MP5 design, and it seems reasonably priced.

Feedback? Should I go with a different size round? Different gun? It wouldn't take any sort of beating... it'd sit in the gun safe until I took it to the range...

Basically, I'm a newbie when it comes to rifles and the such... I'm not looking for anything for real long distance (obviously)...

Since I have a 9mm pistol, should I get a 9mm carbine? It could serve more home defense i guess... just the ammo is a little harder to come by (can still get some though) and more expensive.

I value you guy's opinions. Thanks.

Just in the LGS yesterday...the saleman says the GSG is an excellent fun gun and is very accurate. He did say that youhave to run quality hi-vel ammo to keep them runnign but hsaid he cant keep them in stock either.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Everyone should have at least 1 .22 "fun" gun.

The Ruger 10/22 is a good shooter and very versatile with all of the accessories available. The Ruger runs around $200 and add one of dozens of aftermarket stocks for whatever look you like for another $100. That's a lot cheaper option. The Ruger isn't fussy about ammo in my experience.
    My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.
    - Thomas Jefferson

Definitely a fun gun but can be finnicky at times if you feed it ammo it doesn't like. I was actually thinking about selling mine until I heard about the HK lawsuit against ATI/GSG. The GSG-5 in it's current state will be discontinued in 2010. So I think I may hang on to mine until I see what happens with all that, hehe..

Either way, you'll definitely have a lot of fun with it. Mine eats up federal bulk pack like candy!!

Another cheaper option, but just as fun...is a ruger 10/22. I use the GSG for close distance plinking (7-50 yards) and the 10/22 for 50-100 yard fun..

I agree on the Ruger 10/22. Lots of things you can do to it other than shoot as well. Makes it a rainy day rifle in a way. Remove that factory firing pin and polish it! If a cool looking rifle in 22lr needs to look cool to be cool and to be a "fun" gun, then you can do that too.

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    Thanks for the quick answers... i'll check out the 10/22 in a second...

This might sound like a dumb question, but rimfire or centerfire?

I know the difference between the rounds, but which should i be looking at getting?

cmb
    If it is purely for fun and money is really important then get whatever you will have fun with. I am a 10/22 fan and there are a ton of aftermarket mags, accesories, stocks, barrells to customize it. To me any 22 is fun and the most reasonable to shoot. This week I shot my Ruger target pistol at 50 yds and could keep 85-90% of my rounds in a 6" circle. Shot till I was tired and still had ammo left...

.22 long rifle (rimfire)

550 round box of federal from wally world is like $16.00

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNinjaGo View Post
    Thanks for the quick answers... i'll check out the 10/22 in a second...

This might sound like a dumb question, but rimfire or centerfire?

I know the difference between the rounds, but which should i be looking at getting?
    Rimfire....22lr. Fun is finding a club in your area that does silhouette matches.

Ruger 10/22. Most popular selling. More after market parts. Just be careful with screws in aluminum, have seen a lot with stripped out scope mount screws.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Another real fun gun is the Henry Lever Action .22 LR. The action is extremely smooth, will eat any ammo you want to feed it, no jamming, extremely accurate even without a scope, and will hold 15 rounds of .22 LR., 17 rounds of .22 L., or 22 rounds of .22 S., and weighs only 5.25 lbs. And you don't have to add any accessories to make it a great gun. I've had a couple of 10/22's in the past and they are fun, I certainly can't knock them. Check out the Henry before you decide, you may change your mind.

The Henry is sweet and will be my next 22.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Ruger 10/22 Charger!
    All the +'s of the 10/22 in a PISTOL!!!!
    Too heavy to shoot unsupported, unless you're on steroids, but it comes with a bi-pod and rail on top for a scope.
    There's also aftermarket dress-up kits to make it look more naughty.
    The views expressed above are the opinion of the poster and may or may not be total bunk.
    Viewer discretion is advised.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevew View Post
    The Henry is sweet and will be my next 22.
    I agree, but I stepped it up a notch with this...
    Henry Repeating Arms Rifles ...added a Leopold scope...what a 'fun gun'...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I agree, but I stepped it up a notch with this...
    Henry Repeating Arms Rifles ...added a Leopold scope...what a 'fun gun'...
    I shy away from the 22 mag because of ammo price. I keep some 22 mag around for my single six, just mostly think half the fun is the cheap ammo.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links