Please Enlighten Me :)

This is a discussion on Please Enlighten Me :) within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I get a (you know what) load of flyers, magazines, etc.. from different companies. As I'm reading through them, I see "kits" of machine guns, ...

Thread: Please Enlighten Me :)

I get a (you know what) load of flyers, magazines, etc.. from different companies. As I'm reading through them, I see "kits" of machine guns, etc.. that you get but with the receiver cut according to BATFE specs.

Now, what use are these kits? I mean you buy these kits for $600+ sometimes but all you've boughten was a useless firearm that you can do anything with except use as a wall hanger.

I can get alot of other things as wall hangers then something that doesn't work.

So why do people buy these "kits"? Maybe hoping that the machine gun bans are lifted (including the registry) and that they can get a receiver built for them or ?

Just curious.

Wayne

Well, prior to JLD coming on the scene, with complete 91 clones, the only way you could get a 91 was to buy a G3 kit, and a US receiver, and a few items off the compliant-parts list- all told, you'd spend about $700, having a smith build it for you (vs $2000 and up for the pre-ban 91's). Yes, Century and a couple of others offered "complete" rifles, but the QC on these made purchasing them little better than a put-together-kit that you'd have to have a custom smith "make right."

Same deal with Vector and (someone I can't remember right now) with the AK/Krinkov sets. Krinks were nowhere to be seen, but with a kit, and a to-be-assigned receiver, you can have your Krink pistol made.

Many of the kits, though, like the Sig 550s, are essentially "hopefuls", or spares for guys that have one. With so many US makers taking up production of foreign receivers, it's not an off-the-wall move, though some kits would be better bets than others.

1943 - 2009
    I think I have a good idea what Wayne is referring to. It sounds like he got the same catalog that I received in the mail today from The Sportsman's Guide.

Browsing through this tome, I found the following "parts kits" for sale, all "complete" except for the receiver: a 1928 Thompson SMG FOR $699.00, an M16 for $499.00, an AK-47 $219.00, a German MG-42 for $699.00 and an MG-34 for $599.00, a Russian PPS-43 SMG FOR $149.00 and a PPSh-41 SMG for $199.00.

I suppose if you had money to burn and a burning desire to line your den walls with DEWATs, this would be the way to go. Personally, I don't get it.

Even if you could turn these "kits" into functional full-auto weapons(which I doubt) they still couldn't be registered & made legal.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Crunch
    Even if you could turn these "kits" into functional full-auto weapons(which I doubt) they still couldn't be registered & made legal.
    Some you can build semi-autos with - the FAL, AK, HK, etc kits can all be built into legal semi-auto weapons.
    Driver carries less than $45 worth of remorse.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Crunch
    a 1928 Thompson SMG FOR $699.00, an , an AK-47 $219.00, a German MG-42 for $699.00 and an MG-34 for $599.00, a Russian PPS-43 SMG FOR $149.00
    You can have legal semi-autos made from all of the above, at this time. (I deleted the -16, as the price is no better than a DIY NIB kit from BM/Oly/RRA/etc.. I believe you can do a semi conversion on the PPSH-with a Tech Branch letter-, but I'm not aware of any smiths doing regular numbers of them.) Yeah, they are pricey toys, but lots of guys bought Augs and Galils.....a semi- MG-34 has those beat, all kinds of hands down!

1943 - 2009
    OK, OK, I stand corrected. I'll concede you can build legal semi-autos with these kits.

I still think they're a colossal waste of money.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Have you ever fired a belt-fed? Think Benelli M1 with no mag capacity limit.......... ....at least until something melts!

I got that flyer this afternoon and said the same thing to myself as I was reading it. I could never see spending that kind of money on something that I couldn't even use. Makes no sense to me...
    Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

Sponsored Links