Round would not extract

This is a discussion on Round would not extract within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; For the first time I finally carried my Loaded Micro Compact Operator. Carried in "condition one." When I got home, I dropped the mag, and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Round would not extract

Round would not extract

For the first time I finally carried my Loaded Micro Compact Operator. Carried in "condition one."

When I got home, I dropped the mag, and tried to pull the slide back to eject the chambered round. The slide was very hard to pull back. Finally when I got the slide back, the round would not extract. I locked the slide back and gently pried the round out.

This is the first time this has ever happened to me with any weapon let alone my new gun!

I was using Hornady 185 gr XTP rounds. Haven't had this problem with any other rounds so I am wondering if it is just the brand.

I want to use hollow points for SD/EDC.

Any advice or suggestions?

2. Remove Ads

How many rounds did you fire in the gun before carriyng it? How many of your carry HP's did you fire?
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Did you put that round in by hand, or did you load it via a mag?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    New gun? How new? Have you cleaned it? test fired it yet?
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Pull the barrel, clean the chamber and try dropping a round into it. It should seat into the chamber fully and drop out with no problem.

If the rounds don't do as above measure them to see if they are within specs. If they are it sounds like you may have a chamber problem.

bosco

To all: New gun, only fired maybe 50 rounds. I never hand feed a weapon. Have not test fired any HP. Plan to go to the range tomorrow and do that.

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Shoot as much as you can as often as you can. For me personally any semi-auto hasn't been proven "carry-worthy" until it has at least 500 rounds through it and I am 100% sure it will go bang every time.
    I am somewhat of a pefectionist and until I can hit consistant 3" or smaller groups at 21 feet, I don't feel comfortable carry that gun.
    A few days at the range and a good cleaning between each trip will help. Be sure to test the carry ammo you use to make sure your gun will cycle it properly, some guns just don't like certain hollow-point rounds, something you want to know before you may ever need to use it for defense.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    Considering that you pulled the slide back and the round remained in the chamber, you might want to check your extractor for damage. In the future, instead of prying the round out you might insert a section of dowel in the muzzle and gently tap it out.
    If the round initially chambered, it sounds like there may have been some type of foreign matter in the chamber that caused it to stick. A new gun should be thoroughly cleaned before use to insure reliability.
    Use Boscoe's method for checking your ammo.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Thanks so much. Prying may not be the best description. It didn't take much coaxing. I am now thinking that a piece of lint or hair could have tainted the round or chamber.

Scheduled for a good cleaning again today and I will cycle the same type ammo and see what happens.

The recoil spring is very stiff, hopefully that will ease up a bit with use!

Quote Originally Posted by automatic slim View Post
    Considering that you pulled the slide back and the round remained in the chamber, you might want to check your extractor for damage. In the future, instead of prying the round out you might insert a section of dowel in the muzzle and gently tap it out.
    If the round initially chambered, it sounds like there may have been some type of foreign matter in the chamber that caused it to stick. A new gun should be thoroughly cleaned before use to insure reliability.
    Use Boscoe's method for checking your ammo.
    Bingo!!! First thing I would be looking at is the extractor to make sure it wasn't damaged, could be it is shaped so it doesn't thoroughly grap the Hornaday casings, it is weird this happened with the first round of that type.
    Let us know what you find out.

NCH
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

NCH: Will do

All of the above, plus.I would check the case to see if there are any marks on it, could help point you in the right direction. Check how much bullet is sticking out of the case, compare to another bullet. Sometimes a bullet can move in the case (set back from chambering, walking out of case due to recoil) either one can cause dangerous pressure problems.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

If you're referring to extraction and ejection of a loaded rounds, many 1911s will not "eject" a loaded round. They are not designed to do that. The ejection port will allow an empty case to pivot and go through, but not a cartridge. Colt modified their ports years ago to address this. Now some 1911s will happily eject loaded rounds but many will choke. (depending on the length of the round) This is kind of a drag but it is normal. If the gun will feed fire and eject empties it is fine. When unloading remove the magazine and let the round fall out through the magwell. Trying to modify it to eject loaded rounds will lead to other problems. And definitely inspect your ammo for bullet setback if you are unloading and reloading the same round. Setback can cause very bad things to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Drail View Post
    When unloading remove the magazine and let the round fall out through the magwell. Trying to modify it to eject loaded rounds will lead to other problems.
    Hadn't thought of this, but will surely try it next time.

Just make sure it doesn't fall down the heat register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links