Smith and Wesson Sigma SW40V

This is a discussion on Smith and Wesson Sigma SW40V within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Well I bought a Smith and Wesson Sigma SW40V today at Academy Sport & Outdoor. I took it straight to the range (I didn't even ...

Thread: Smith and Wesson Sigma SW40V

Smith and Wesson Sigma SW40V

Well I bought a Smith and Wesson Sigma SW40V today at Academy Sport & Outdoor.

I took it straight to the range (I didn't even clean it - shame on me)

Well it shot well, my only complaint is a very hard trigger pull.

Absolutely not one problem - I only had 50 shells with me (bought with the gun).

First .40 I've owned, does anyone know the difference between a .45 & a .40?

2. Remove Ads

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by dondavis3 View Post
    First .40 I've owned, does anyone know the difference between a .45 & a .40?
    .5?

Just kidding, obviously the .40 is smaller, but it has more velocity than the .45 and recoil is a little different. The .40 generally causes more muzzle climb than the .45. Most .40 FMJ rounds are of the truncated cone variety while most .45 ammo is round nose although different projectile shapes are available for both, the above mentioned shapes are the most common in factory loads for FMJ. A wide variety of JHPs are available for both.

.5?
    I don't care who you are, that right there is funny!!!

Think of the 45 round as a slow moving freight train, and the .40 is more like a 400 mph Japanese metro rail. The recoil of a 45 is more like a push rearward while the 40 has a much more upward snap to it. I myself go against the popular vote and I am not a big fan of the 45, I prefer the .40 cal for my choice of sidearm. You need to choose what's right for you.
    As far as the Sigma goes, if it is one of the newer models they are suppose to be improved but the earlier models were plagued with problems. I would want 500 trouble free rounds through it and at least half with the ammo you plan on carrying before I would trust it. Not against Sigma I do the same for all my carry guns.
    Enjoy.

NCH
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

First off, Welcome to the forum & second congrats on the NEW GUN ; )
    GRET GUN FOR THE $$ H/D PS the Sigma is not a range gun it
    is a fighting gun , Good for CC + the trigger Will get better in time
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    Trigger may get better with time. My Brother-In-Law just bought a used (looks brand new) one and liked everything about it at the range.
    For God, Family and Country!

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    .5?
    That was funny. One observaton; the mathematical difference is actually .05, but who's counting, right?
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

Senior Member Array digitalexplr's Avatar
    Most new pistols tend to be a bit tight at first. If after about 500 rounds the trigger has not smooth out enough for you then you may want to consider getting a trigger job.

As for the difference between .40 and .45, they will both kill a BG. I enjoy both, though at the moment I don't have a .45. Ammo for the .45 has gotten very expensive and often hard to find. .40 ammo seems to be just about everywhere and is cheaper.

The basic idea behind the development of the .40 was a round with the ballistics of a .45 with the recoil of a 9mm. It does well on both counts.

I had not been a big fan of the .40. I always felt if I wanted more than the 9mm offered it only made sense to go to the .45. However, I recent aquired a XD40 service and absolutely love shooting the .40. The .40 will serve you well. Don't get hung up on the caliber wars you will so start reading. Although the .40 is relatively new on the firearms scene it has proved itself when needed.

The 9mm has been around for some 108 years, served in military and police forces around the world and been involved every war since it's introduction. It has a long history and left many bodies behind.

The .45 has been around for nearly 100 years and has also distinquished it's self in military and law enforcement use. It is a solid and dependable round.

All three, 9mm, .40 s&w and .45 have recorded quick kills and instances where multiple shots were required to end the fight.

Your .40 s&w is more than capable of protecting you and your loved ones. Practice with it, take care of it, and it will take care of you.
    NRA Life Member

I'm issued a 40VE for duty. The long trigger pull is a built-in safety device, and with more practice you will become accustomed to it. I carry .40 on duty, and .45 off duty. Both are well proven fight stoppers that will serve you well. Accuracy and staying on target is up to you. I'm not sure what the difference is between the 40V and 40VE, but I suspect it isn't much.

Enjoy and be safe.
    Sui juris
    U.S. Navy Veteran '65-'69
    Retired Police Detective '71 - '01
    LEOSA Certified
    NRA Life Member / SAF Member
    U.S. Constitution (c) 1791, All Rights Reserved.

You can send it to: LSG, Mfg|Gun Parts|Warranty|Gunsmithing and they will do some trigger work on it under warranty. Great trigger now and a joy to shoot...

Doesn't Smith & Wesson offer a free trigger job if you send it back to them?
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

LSG is one of two S&W gun smiths left in the US. Does great work! I guess it depends whose closest to you... Smith factory or LSG

LSG, Mfg|Gun Parts|Warranty|Gunsmithing Is one of S&W authorized repair shop.

My Sigma is my very first .40 caliber gun. I bought it because it uses the standard cop round of our local police departments and I think that common ammo might be a good idead, like the 9mm used by the military. Someday a new M-9 will also be mine. Oh, of course, I bought my brand-new shiny-slide Sigma two weeks before Smith and Wesson started giving $50 rebates or two free $35 magazines with each newly purchased pistol!

Links