1911 Information for Newb

This is a discussion on 1911 Information for Newb within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've never held one seen one or shot a 45....somehow I think I want to have one. I have a couple of different handguns, but ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1911 Information for Newb

I've never held one seen one or shot a 45....somehow I think I want to have one. I have a couple of different handguns, but like the saying "beware of the man with one gun, he prob knows how to use it". I don't know if I want to get rid of the other ones, but if I like the 1911 who knows. I don't plan on getting rid of my LCP since I live in Florida but who knows.

I would like to know if there is a website that has some good info on the 1911 and what I could expect if I buy one. I would only like to have to buy one if that is the case. One I can use for CCW, home protection, range duty. I would plan on also purchasing a 22 conversion kit as well and even reload my own loads.

One more thing, are they prone to frame cracking?

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by cuban11182 View Post
    I've never held one seen one or shot a 45....somehow I think I wan to have one. I have a couple of different handguns, but like the saying "beware of the man with one gun, he prob knows how to use it". I don't know if I want to get rid of the other ones, but if I like the 1911 who knows. I don't plan on getting rid of my LCP since I live in Florida but who knows.

I would like to know if there is a website that has some good info on the 1911 and what I could expect if I buy one. I would only like to have to buy one if that is the case. One I can use for CCW, home protection, range duty. I would plan on also purchasing a 22 conversion kit as well and even reload my own loads.

One more thing, are they prone to frame cracking?
    M1911.org is probably the best 1911 forum out there in terms of general knowledge, they have a very good technical section for searching etc.

As for the frame cracking, that happened on some older models, and some of the Colt Delta Elites (10mm) had issues with small cracks. "Modern" 1911s should have no problems with frames cracking. Even with the older guns, IIRC most damage was caused by too hot of a round. I can't remember the last time I heard of a frame cracking.

Another valuable site is TheSight's M19111 page

Lots of good models to buy, and there are several makers of the .22 kit.

I have a series of blog entries you may find useful, they are slightly opinionated, but so far no one has really found any fault with them.

So you want to buy a 1911(Part 1)
    So you want to buy a 1911(Part 2)
    So you want to buy a 1911(Part 3)
    So you want to buy a 1911(Part 4)
    So you want to buy a 1911(Part 5)

And here's how one works...
    http://www.m1911.org/loader.swf

Click some of the squares to see various parts.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    for "the only one" question, I would nominate the officers model (compact) stainless over stainless, 4 inch barrel. The compact grip conceals better, for me anyway, the steel is much more recoil forgiving during extended range trips (as well as making follow-up shots easier), very low maintenence required, "ages" well, and the weight really isn't an issue in a good IWB holster with a properly fitting belt.

just a few of my thoughts

surv

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    You can reference all the material provided, but I think you would need to shoot one to get the true experience. If the .45 is too hot for you, there are 1911's in 9mm and .38 Super.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

I think anyone who's into firearms for whatever reason should handle and shoot the classic 1911 model at least once in their lifetime. It just seems to be such a basic foundation where all things should begin.

cmb
    I agree, I acquired my first 1911 this year and I love it, its a sprigfield lightweight full size. I have shot 45's and 10mm but never on the 1911 frame, once I did i had a new fascination. Now I am hooked. I like the full size grip and 5" barrel. They are great guns. I am eyeing a XDM, I am envious over a friends S&W 642 also and would like a carbine but I am thrilled with the 1911! I have much to learn and the websites mentioned are a help.

Pistol frames of any design crack because of bad metallurgy and heat treating or poorly fit components and from people running ammunition that is overpowered for the recoil spring in the gun. It's not a design issue. I have seen a number of Delta Elite 10mms with cracked frames from owners running hot loads and owners that didn't know that the recoil spring needs to be replaced when it becomes weak. With proper springs and a shok buff these guns can last as long as any other caliber. The 10mm is a very powerful round. It will beat up a gun if you let it.

Every gun collection should include a 1911.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Absolutely!

I have several weapons but the 1911 is fast becoming my go to. No other feels or shoots like it.

Quote Originally Posted by ranger351w View Post
    I have several weapons but the 1911 is fast becoming my go to. No other feels or shoots like it.
    +1 Once you shoot one, you'll realize what all the fuss is about. The trigger action is a dream compared to run of the mill sitrker or hammer fired pistols. Whether or not they are SA/DA. The 1911 is that good!

Straight back trigger pull vs pivot trigger. Straight wins every time!

I contacted my father in law in NC since he might be the best bet for me to shoot one. I don't really know anyone in Florida that has once since I was stationed here in Feb of this year. I also don't know of any ranges around there that allow me to rent their guns in Tampa/Bradenton area.

Quote Originally Posted by cuban11182 View Post
    I contacted my father in law in NC since he might be the best bet for me to shoot one. I don't really know anyone in Florida that has once since I was stationed here in Feb of this year. I also don't know of any ranges around there that allow me to rent their guns in Tampa/Bradenton area.
    Your best bet is to open a thread in m1911.org to see if someone will let you shoot it or for info on a range that has one. Try to get one with thin grips/short trigger if you have small hands. If you are AD military, check out if the bases around you have pistol rentals (I used to rent old 1911s at the MCB Camp Lejeune, NC MWR).
    I can no longer keep track of threads as I used to. If you need to contact me, PM me instead of asking me something in the thread. Disclaimer - No legal advice issued anywhere. Take care.

I actually just found a range close to my office that one of the guys in my shop told me about. I'll be headed there during lunch time to try one out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links