opinions on the SCCY 9mm?

This is a discussion on opinions on the SCCY 9mm? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I saw the SCCY 9mm today, and really like the look, function and price. Is there anyone on here that has this gun, carries this ...

Thread: opinions on the SCCY 9mm?

I saw the SCCY 9mm today, and really like the look, function and price. Is there anyone on here that has this gun, carries this gun? I read somewhere when the last bullet exits the gun, the slide doesnt lock back and that the safety always is "on" after you fire a bullet and has to be turned off. is this just on earlier models? whats you alls opinions?

If you're looking to buy a pistol in that price range, take a look at the KT P-11 or PF-9. The SCCY is probably a pretty good copy of the Kel Tec, but KT has one of the best warranties and customer service in the business. For what it's worth, I am retired LE, belong to two large gun clubs, and shoot 4-5 action pistol matches a month. In other words, I have been associated with LOTS of shooters all my life. I have never seen, or talked with anyone owning a SCCY. FWIW.
    str1
    str1

I have one purchased about 6-8 mths ago on a whim....it fits the hand much better than the Kel Tec P11 I had, and the trigger pull is much smoother and lighter than the P11 also. I purchased it new, it is a late manufacture with the updated and improved safety. This pistol has not been shot though so I can't remark on that aspect.
    I am actually thinking about selling mine to help fund a 1911 purchase.
    "After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it."
    - William S. Burroughs

911 Government sponsored Dial-a-Prayer.

I own a CPX. It's not bad for the price. There are some issues with the safety, but there is a fix from Sccy. They call it "safety removal". Basically locks gun in fire mode so that it can not go into safe, even intentionally. A DAO doesn't need a safety in my opinion. Once I installed the fix I haven't had any issues. Very concealable in in my comp-tac minitar. I can pocket carry in some of my baggier pants. I went through my concealed carry proficiancy test with and passed no problem. All in all not a bad gun, but getting the safety fix is a must.
    -Cliff

I had two. Sold two. Would never buy again. Each went back to the factory three times before I gave up and sold them. OK fit and finish, good ergonomics, lousy reliability.

Positive: Lifetime warranty (and needed it)

Cons: Never reliable enough for me to carry

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

When i was working the gun counter, sold one to a guy and he fed it Wolf ammo or any of the lower priced Russian ammo. His gun eventually broke and SCCY replaced most of it. Now, I am NOT inferring the Russian ammo caused it, Just saying the guy was the king of cheap. The gun only had about 400-500 rounds through it. When SCCY replaced it, he got mad because he had to fill out a 4473 because it had a new serial number. He did not have his drivers license with him and had to drive 30 miles back home to get it. He asked if we could give him a box of 9mm to compensate for his gas.

thanks for the opinions guys!! was maybe looking to get this for my wife. but not now. hate for soemthing to go wrong when she needed it!!

Now, what are you guys opinions on the bersa thunder 380? i can get them for 350.00 out the door at a shop up here. I know 380 is smaller than 9mm, and is more expensive and harder to find. what is pros /cons about this gun and caliber?

Quote Originally Posted by HVAC Tech View Post
    thanks for the opinions guys!! was maybe looking to get this for my wife. but not now. hate for soemthing to go wrong when she needed it!!

Now, what are you guys opinions on the bersa thunder 380? i can get them for 350.00 out the door at a shop up here. I know 380 is smaller than 9mm, and is more expensive and harder to find. what is pros /cons about this gun and caliber?
    I was a Bersa snob until the CC model came out. I liked the thin flat profile and bought one on a whim for $239.00. Let me tell you, 100% reliable accurate and a whole lot of fun. Seems this model became hard to find due to demand. I Then bought a Firestorm (made by Bersa) in .22lr and it upped the fun factor.

Bersa=excellent value!

Quote Originally Posted by HVAC Tech View Post

I'm not a .380 fan, and would prefer 9mm over it when given the choice, for all the usual reasons.

However, I am a fan of the Bersa Thunder pistols. I was extremely dubious of them at first (How can a $189--at the time--pistol be good? ) until a shooting buddy bought one. It always went bang. It was decently accurate. It had a pretty nice trigger. It was really light for carry. And...it always went bang...again, and again, and again.

It changed my mind about them. Did I buy one? No, but like I said, that's more of an issue with the caliber, and I already had a Polish P64 in 9x18 to fill my pocket pistol niche. But will I recommend it to anyone looking for a lightweight, inexpensive .380? Absolutely.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Skky or whatever they are called now is located near the range where I work. I see them broken all the time. The safety, the plastic in the frame, and even the barrels have been cracked on ones I've seen. I would take the Bersa, or save up for something better than both.

Oddly I am an HVAC tech also and own a SCCY (bought it for my girlfriend) and do not trust this gun. We are waiting for warranty parts for the safety. Her safety lever actually broke off!! The prices of the guns have dropped sence we bought ours and im guessing its because of the bad word on them, and sales not being so good.

Thumbs up Bersa 380 rocks!

Hello!
    I was actually looking up info on the Sccy, but after reading this post I do not want one!
    The good news is that the Bersa 380 was my second pistol, so I can tell you about it. Out of my collection, it sees some of the most shooting time. The only ammo it doesn't like is the Winchester whitebox bullets, which are also flat-nosed, they don't feed right. Besides that, it is 100% reliable and it's accurate enough for the job. It has a firing pin block, and a bar that wedges between the firing pin and the hammer-so I never worry about it going off. It's all metal so it's strong, but it's also light. I really don't have anything bad to say about it, but it's very interesting the bang for the buck you get. It also started a bit of a cult online. Check it out:
    :: Bersa Talk :: • Index page

Since then, I wanted a .45 for the summer time when my 1911 would be hard to carry (especially to church ect). I liked my Bersa so much I also got their .45 Ultra Compact Pro. That one took a few boxes to break in, but I like carrying that as well. If your looking at buying a good gun at a reasonable price, you should consider the bersas. It won't be a 1911 mothership, but for a carry gun, backup or something for your wife, a Bersa is a good choice. I think someone said they didn't like the 380 caliber; just put two in the chest and one in the head and you'll be ok. Bersa also sells a costum lasor grips for their guns too =)

I hope this helped!

Sponsored Links