Number Of Women Buying Handguns Increasing

This is a discussion on Number Of Women Buying Handguns Increasing within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Number Of Women Buying Handguns Increasing - cbs2chicago.com Relatively positive article. The woman interviewed sounded pretty rational. One thing that was conspicuously missing, though, was ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Number Of Women Buying Handguns Increasing

Number Of Women Buying Handguns Increasing - cbs2chicago.com

Relatively positive article. The woman interviewed sounded pretty rational. One thing that was conspicuously missing, though, was the discussion as to whether any of the women buying handguns in Chicago could reasonably expect to get a concealed carry permit.

Reporting
    Pamela Jones
    CHICAGO (CBS) ―

Local gun shop owners say they're seeing an increase in the number of women shoppers right now. The reasons, they say, are many, including the downturn in the economy and violence on the street.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, about 48 percent of people taking their first handgun seminars this year happen to be women. CBS 2's Pamela Jones reports on the growing trend.

"It's very dangerous out there. I mean, there's people getting robbed here and there," said Josie Santiago. "It's just for protection."

Santiago says she's always thinking about the danger lurking on the streets of the Chicago area. It's a big reason why she visited Illinois Gun Works in Elmwood Park.

Not only did she shop for a new weapon, but she also wanted to find out about taking firearms training from the pros.

"It's better that you know how to use it," Santiago said. "You know, take the class, take the course, protect yourself."

And she's not alone. A National Shooting Sports Foundation survey found that the top two reasons women seek firearms training are for personal protection and target practice.

At Illinois Gun Works, the owners say they've seen a 40 percent increase recently in the numbers of women looking to take classes, and that the number of women coming in to purchase guns is rising, too.

"A lot more. We purchased this business seven years ago, and I've noticed the increase," said Debbie Mastrianni.

"It's not so much because they're scared. I think they just want to learn about it," said Don Mastrianni.

Josie Santiago says the lessons in personal security are something she wants to pass on to other women in her family, but she wants them to learn the responsibility of being behind the trigger as well.

"If it's in the wrong hands, you know, a lot of damage can be done," Santiago said.

Santiago is taking her interest in public safety a step further now. She's going for a degree in criminal justice and eventually would like to become a police officer.

Both Illinois Gun Works and the National Shooting Sports Foundation offer classes for first-timers.

For more information, click the links below.

Illinois Gun Works

National Shooting Sports Foundation: First Shots program
    ( MMIX, CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved.)

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    I'm honestly thrilled about this. I've been talking to every female I know (co-workers, friends, and family) about getting armed with something. Even if they're against carrying a firearm, I try to at least get them to carry a pocket knife or pepper spray.

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    I'm doing my part, once every month or so
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Distinguished Member Array tiwee's Avatar
    This is progress of the best sort. Perhaps progress at the ballot box will follow.

VIP Member
    Relatively positive article. The woman interviewed sounded pretty rational. One thing that was conspicuously missing, though, was the discussion as to whether any of the women buying handguns in Chicago could reasonably expect to get a concealed carry permit.
    Conceal carry permits were not discussed because conceal carry does not exist in Illinois. It is even more restrictive than NJ. At least you can apply for one in NJ, you can't even do that in Illinois!

My wife, married daughter and three daughter in laws all own their own handgun or handguns, and some own their own shotguns and rifles as well, all shoot very well, and some have CHL already while the others are saving up to get theirs soon. The women of my family with training could make up a small assault squad. Attitude is right, shooting is good, need some teamwork training and they would be strong in defending their homes, families, and men folk. Don't mess with mommy or it could get very bad!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by searcher 45 View Post
    some have CHL already while the others are saving up to get theirs soon.
    Sounds like a great Christmas gift!

Quote Originally Posted by searcher 45 View Post
    Don't mess with mommy or it could get very bad!!!!!
    I know exactly what you mean... Sometimes I wonder if the BG is better off dealing with me or my g/f when it comes to my child's safety. Get my g/f mad enough or threaten our child in any way and I might actually feel bad for the BG... (a little.)

I'm "for" women carrying... now having said that... I have also seen some that scare me because of their lack of knowledge in the use and safe handling of a gun. And, some that if any man approached them, I think they would pull it.... even though it was innocent as could be and they are afraid of their own shadow.

This is completely great news! More armed women means fewer unarmed victims!
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

I love to hear that anyone, but especially a women has decided to arm herself.
    I have talked four of the female staff members (in a school) into getting their CCW permits during the last year. It is a Southern rural school...so probably no surprise. There are actually nine individuals who have decided to get their permits in our high school...others already had them.
    Ya' all, gotta' be 'fixin' to love rural FL...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    >>Relatively positive article. The woman interviewed sounded pretty rational. One thing that was conspicuously missing, though, was the discussion as to whether any of the women buying handguns in Chicago could reasonably expect to get a concealed carry permit.<<

Illinois has no concealed carry law or endorcement, probably never will.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Illinois as well as Wisconsin refuse to issue any carry permit or recognize the permits of other states. At the very least, the lady citizens are taking more responsibility of firearm ownership and training for protection because inadequate, inferior and or rediculous gun laws cannot provide it.

My wife, and ex-Illinoian, recently accquired her WV carry permit and is now the proud owner of a Ruger LCP .380. When she travels back "home" however, the LCP must be put in a safe place in her vehicle so it won't jump out and harm anyone, with one exception. There seems to be a relaxation in the Illinois law that you can at least keep the weapon in the "glove box" in a car. Not sure all the criteria, but it's a baby step for the Land of Lincoln residents.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

pax
    This isn't news to anyone who's been paying attention in the gun shops, at gun shows, or on the range for the past couple-three years. But it is wonderful to hear - and even more wonderful to know the mainstream media is becoming willing to report such things in a positive light.

pax
    Kathy Jackson
    My website: Cornered Cat

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    I'm "for" women carrying... now having said that... I have also seen some that scare me because of their lack of knowledge in the use and safe handling of a gun. And, some that if any man approached them, I think they would pull it.... even though it was innocent as could be and they are afraid of their own shadow.
    When a woman finally realizes that almost any man around her could kill her bare-handed, if he wanted to, then for a while she WILL be afraid. It's something we have to deal with. Everytime we go out on a date we are putting our lives in the hands of someone we barely know. It's a bit daunting.

Women need to be encouraged to get extra training, and training places need to have more women-only classes. Too many of us are wary of men-only classes, or those for LEO.

I, for one, would love to go to training classes (besides the bare minimum gun safety class). But as a fluffy middle-ager, I don't think I could keep up. Therefore I don't go. Therefore I have to deal with not being as trained as I would like.
    "I pledge allegiance to the war banner of the united states of Totalitaria. And to the Republic, which no longer stands, several bankers, who are now god, indivisible, with Bernanke bucks and credit for all."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links