Impossible Shots. If I Didn't See It Myself

This is a discussion on Impossible Shots. If I Didn't See It Myself within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; IF you shoot 50,000 + rounds a year I guess you get pretty good at holding the weapon steady, along with a few other bonuses....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Impossible Shots. If I Didn't See It Myself

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    IF you shoot 50,000 + rounds a year I guess you get pretty good at holding the weapon steady, along with a few other bonuses.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    I would not have believed it.

Last Night on IMPOSSIBLE SHOTS.

Anybody see Jerry Miculek break a small yellow balloon at 200 yards shooting a box stock S&W Airweight Snubbie .38 - while holding the Snub in one hand - gun UPSIDE DOWN and pulling the trigger with his pinky finger?

Pretty doggone amazing/unbelievable shot.

I cant even do that with the iron sights on my Mosin sometimes... and thats shooting it correctly.

I saw a couple of old clips on sharpshooting. One guy place a knife into a wooden board and had a balloon on each side of the knife. He shot a .22 into the blade splitting it in half and popping each balloon with half a bullet.

Q I Q <--Balloons

* I * <--Popped

that's crazy. Ol'Jerry!
    Glock 27,Hi-Point .380, S&W 3913, RIA 5" Tactical

NRA Member/Supporter

"Government is not the solution to our problems; government is the problem." - President Ronald Reagan

Wow Jerry is one hell of a shooter!!! I was at the range yesterday shooting my snubbie and thought my 3 inch groups at 10 yards were good lol.

Administrator
    I already knew that snubbies were accurate.
    But, I never knew that they were accurate enough that even a phenomenal shooter like Miculek could put them out there at that extreme distance and consistency with factory ammo and stock sights.
    The target was barely visible at that distance.

I already knew that snubbies were accurate.
    But, I never knew that they were accurate enough that even a phenomenal shooter like Miculek could put them out there at that extreme distance and consistency with factory ammo and stock sights.
    The target was barely visible at that distance.
    I thought it was amazing when he missed one, I think it was the second shot and he said "I saw that one hit, I'm about 3" too low and left", or something to that effect. I was thinkin, geez I could hardly see the balloon at that distance, much less the round hitting the backstop.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Consider the accuracy of the military artillery piece.
    Consider the ratio of barrel length to range involved.
    Even a full sized field piece has a short barrel when you consider just how far they're shooting.
    That long range accuracy is possible with a short barrel revolver isn't surprising.
    That these shooters are disciplined and practiced enough to make the shot, is absolutely amazing, and utterly delightful!
    "Deine Papieren bitte?" or "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ !"
    (Choose only one)
    NRA Endowment Member
    "I bark at no man's bid. I will never come and go, and fetch and carry, at the whistle of the great man in the White House no matter who he is." -- David Crockett

Long range shooting with handguns is a blast. If you have a place to do it give it a try. Making hits offhand with a .22 on 8" steel at 200 yards is good for lots of bragging rights. Bang (pause.....) tink.

We found old street signs at a dump we used to be able to shoot at (it's a subdivision now) and 158gr LRN .38 would blow right through the sign even at extreme ranges.

And you all do know the baloon trick is a splatter shot, right. He's not hitting the 8" baloon, any hit on the man sized steel plate will break it. I'm not saying it's an easy shot, but it is a bit of a "trick".

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Superhouse 15 View Post
    And you all do know the baloon trick is a splatter shot, right. He's not hitting the 8" baloon, any hit on the man sized steel plate will break it. I'm not saying it's an easy shot, but it is a bit of a "trick".
    I agree, I just watched it and thought the same thing myself about it being a splatter shot and not really necessary to actually hit the balloon, just hit the steel.

However, steel or balloon hits, those are still outstanding shots, by two very talented shooters.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Administrator
    Doggone I just deleted it.
    Not sure (since I had it recorded and watched it about 3:30 in the morn) but, I think you can see the actual bullet strike mark on the plate.
    I think he really did hit the balloon as VS just the plate.
    Somebody that still has it recorded might be able to verify.
    Regardless the steel was not much larger than the balloon.

VIP Member
    Doggone I just deleted it.
    Not sure (since I had it recorded and watched it about 3:30 in the morn) but, I think you can see the actual bullet strike mark on the plate.
    I think he really did hit the balloon as VS just the plate.
    Somebody that still has it recorded might be able to verify.
    Regardless the steel was not much larger than the balloon.
    I think I still have it on my DVR, if I do, I'll be sure and look real close and report back.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

VIP Member
    Okay I did still have that episode on my DVR and here is my "tv report" on it. BTW my son and wife both walked by and saw me intently pausing and watching it, with notepad and pencil in hand. and I think they may now be huddling together whispering about me.

Munden segment- He mentions that it is a 10" balloon over a steel plate. That gave me a bit of scale to judge the size of the plate and I'd guess 24" tall and 18" wide. It is rounded at the top sort of like a tombstone shape.

With the .44 mag- At 200 yds his first shot was a miss. The second shot was at about 10:00 right at the edge of the balloon, it was close but I'm suspecting it didn't actually hit the balloon. The balloon burst, but I can't clearly say whether it was a bonafide hit or whether splatter got it, I'm guessing splatter.

With the .38- At 200 yds his first shot was a miss. The second was at 6:00 that hit about 8 inches below the edge of the balloon. Clearly a splatter shot burst.

Miculek segment- He never mentions the size of the balloon, but I'd say it was about a 10" balloon also, and roughly speaking I'd say his steel plate was 20" tall and 18" wide.

At the 50 yd mark- He burst the balloon but the bullet mark showed to be at about the 7:00 position around 6 inches from where the balloon edge was. Clearly a splattershot burst.

At the 100 yd mark- He burst the balloon on the first shot, but I never could see any evidence of a bullet mark on the steel When they showed it on replay three different times it clearly showed the a bullet mark at about the 5:30 position, 6-8 inches away from where the edge of the balloon was, and it was right at the bottom of the edge of the steel plate. The original shot did not match the three replays. Apparently some editing.

At the 200 yd mark- The first shot is a miss, the second shot is a miss. The third shot is a balloon burst and the bullet impacted at about the 4:00 position to the balloon and about 4 inches away from the edge of where the balloon was. When they showed the replay it did not show the bullet impact mark that I had just seen. Apparently some more editing.

Summary- As I previously wrote both guys are GREAT shooters and I bow to their skill. I'm thrilled that both guys are willing to demonstrate their skills on this program. However it is what it is, and it seems to me that the balloons were probably all bursted from splatter and not actual hits. However even hitting a steel plate at that distance with pistols is excellent in itself. I think both guys did an excellent job at shooting.

Administrator
    Fantastic detailed report ppkheat. Your "above & beyond" effort much appreciated.

Senior Member Array older gunner's Avatar
    I saw that and it was amazing. I would never be able to do that.
    Wisdom of the Older Gunner:
    To carry a firearm and not have to use it is a blessing
    To not carry a firearm and need one is avoidable and sometimes fatal stupidity

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links