.257 Weatherby Magnum vs. .308: Is This Comparing Apples to Oranges?

This is a discussion on .257 Weatherby Magnum vs. .308: Is This Comparing Apples to Oranges? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I was recently digging into this relatively uncommon cartridge (the .257 Weatherby Magnum) and found wonderful write-ups on it. Flat shooting, reasonable power, etc. I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Member Array McPatrickClan's Avatar

I was recently digging into this relatively uncommon cartridge (the .257 Weatherby Magnum) and found wonderful write-ups on it. Flat shooting, reasonable power, etc. I have always thought the .308 to be best all-around (mostly hunting, good in a SHTF scenario) cartridge. Once I started researching the comparisions between these two, a lot of people said they were like apples & oranges.

I realize the .257 is really expensive ($2+ a round!) but I am going to reload, so I think that will really keep my long-term costs low. It seems like .308 ammo is at least a buck a round anyway!

What do you guys think? Are these two totally different cartridges? Or are there reasons to choose one over the other for the same applications?

ya know...

To me that's like comparing a Porsche or Ferrari to a chevy or ford. The .257 is gonna be your Porsche hard to find but if you have a .308 and are looking to enjoy/tinker with a new round go for it you'll like what the .257 weatherby is capable of. There is a lot to be said for the .308 and all the information out there supporting the round.

Distinguished Member
    Whats the main "application"??? Need to know what you are going to do with it to give good advice.

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

Mostly deer & hog hunting...

You'll get the same outcome with less hassle out of the .308 round. My question is are you looking to be talked into or out of the .257?

Quote Originally Posted by gilliland87 View Post
    You'll get the same outcome with less hassle out of the .308 round. My question is are you looking to be talked into or out of the .257?
    Well, that's part of what I am thinking through... the .257 has fantastic write-ups... I really like what I have read. I did read someone referring to it as a "wildcat" round which was a term I was not famililar with.

The .257 is uncommon, I know, but since I reload, I figure that is a non-issue. The .308 is the standard in many applications and I already have a lot of that bunkered away.

I am mostly looking to be talked out of the .257, but honestly, I am just curious if you guys like/dislike it and why. It seems like a good cartridge but according to my searches of the boards, it doesn't seem like there has been much discussion of it.

Well, if you're going to be handloading anyway...look at .257 Ackley Improved.

Not quite as hot as the Weatherby, but regular .257 Roberts ammo can be used in it in a pinch...and also a little easier to find, perhaps (.257 AI uses .257 Roberts brass...)

Personally, though, for a quarter bore....25-06.

But yeah...kinda an apples and pears comparison.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

OK... I think I am starting to understand.... cartridges that start with 25 are quarter bore? Meaning their diameter? Is that about right?

And that is how the 30-30 and the .308 are "related?"

TOF
    My .308 has provided many 1 shot kills on everything from prairie dog to Elk. If you want a solid performing "General Purpose" rifle that would also be suitable in an SHTF situation as mentioned in your opening statement get a .308. You can get ammo anywhere for the .308 whether you are at home at your reloading bench or not.

If you want a more limited application screamer get the .257.

You might also consider 1 of each.
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." - Thomas Jefferson

wildcat

A wildcat is just a term used to designate a non standard/experimantal round. (probably not a complete definition but gets ya the idea)

As for quarter bore it refers to the .25 which will represent the diameter of the bore.

The 30-30 and.308 even .303 .300 savage .338 ect ect are all referred to as thirties which corresponds to the bore diameter as well and the so forth. The slang only gets deeper from there.

Quote Originally Posted by TOF View Post
    My .308 has provided many 1 shot kills on everything from prairie dog to Elk.
    Do you create your own "custom" rounds to kill prairie dogs with the .308?

Quote Originally Posted by gilliland87 View Post
    The 30-30 and.308 even .303 .300 savage .338 ect ect are all referred to as thirties which corresponds to the bore diameter as well and the so forth. The slang only gets deeper from there.
    So is the .50 cal the biggest? Or just a really big one?

It's the biggest within reason. I mean I can show you guys making custom 20mm bolt guns but that's just not for everyone and could not even tell you the legality without some research there is always someone going to the next level just because they can.

And am I right that after you have the brass stored up, there really is not any "special" costs associated with reloading any wildcat-type round?

well depends really

Some wildcats are rather notorious for being hard on barrels. 22-250(not a wild cat but has same issue), 6.5-.284 are two I personally have experience with. My 6.5-284 burnt a Lilja tube to the point my groups were spreading out again in 1400 rounds. where as a .308 shooter can get 5000-8000ish before wear and erosion become issues. All these things add up to the total cost of ownership of a rifle.
    As to the brass question reloaded brass does wear out. I am not that familiar with the .257 Weatherby but a good question is Does it have a parent case of a more common caliber? Example The 270 Winchester started life as a modified 30-06 case before It became popular. What I am trying to say is make sure you can feed your gun even if you have to resort to resourcefulness.

I said the 22-250 was not a wildcat- It was originally and still is depending on your view point a wildcat (but c'mon you can buy it at walmart for heavens sake, that's pretty mainstream in chambering there)
    Last edited by gilliland87; October 30th, 2009 at 01:44 AM. Reason: The general stickiness of this subject

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links