Advice please: sell/trade or keep

This is a discussion on Advice please: sell/trade or keep within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've been toying with the idea of selling/trading my Yugo SKS (w/ Tapco 3-position stock) and 500 rounds for either a 6" .357 (we have ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice please: sell/trade or keep

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar

I've been toying with the idea of selling/trading my Yugo SKS (w/ Tapco 3-position stock) and 500 rounds for either a 6" .357 (we have a 4" .357 mag. in the house), .41 or .44 magnum. I can't buy another pistol due to lack of funds and starting a war at home. I plan to carry the new pistol as a sidearm while hunting as I don't think my 1911 Gov't quite cuts it on scratchers and biters. Any input one way or the other is welcomed. Thanks!
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by sniper58 View Post
    I've been toying with the idea of selling/trading my Yugo SKS (w/ Tapco 3-position stock) and 500 rounds for either a 6" .357 (we have a 4" .357 mag. in the house), .41 or .44 magnum. I can't buy another pistol due to lack of funds and starting a war at home. I plan to carry the new pistol as a sidearm while hunting as I don't think my 1911 Gov't quite cuts it on scratchers and biters. Any input one way or the other is welcomed. Thanks!
    Since when do you think the 1911 won't "cut it"? Yugo SKS....how does she shoot? Dependable?
    Sidearm while hunting? For what do you need a sidearm for while hunting? Man or beast? If you're hunting, I figure you've already taken the beast aspect out of employing your sidearm. Unless of course....you plan on going hunting with your sidearm alone. My advice? Keep the SKS and keep depending on the 1911. I've depended on the 1911 for the worst, and that doesn't have much to do with hunting, but being hunted. What you've got right now seems like the best plan to me. If you don't think it is, just keep it simple, and only change one thing at a time. In my opinion, and for some reason, I think you're going off half cocked here.
    Any input one way or the other is welcomed.
    Well, that's what you get from me. You might know I could write a whole page of good reasons besides my own opinions here....but I'm not in the mood I guess, so you can feel thankful for that. Have a happy Halloween!

Quote Originally Posted by sniper58 View Post
    I don't think my 1911 Gov't quite cuts it on scratchers and biters. Any input one way or the other is welcomed. Thanks!
    What kind of <bleep> critters you talkin about??
    There's some 1911 fans around here going to take much offense at that statement.

Personally, as a general rule I'm against selling guns for financial reasons.
    So, working from that bias, and assuming the "war at home" implies there's a Mrs. to keep happy, I'd suggest carry the .357 you have, and leave the 1911 with said Mrs to handle any softer/squishier "critters" that venture too close to the house.

I know, it goes against the general urge to buy a new gun.
    That's my $.02 worth.
    The views expressed above are the opinion of the poster and may or may not be total bunk.
    Viewer discretion is advised.

The 4 inch 357 you already have should be fine. If the SKS has become a hat rack and you want get rid of and get another gun then thats a whole different thing.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis128 View Post
    What kind of <bleep> critters you talkin about??
    There's some 1911 fans around here going to take much offense at that statement.

Personally, as a general rule I'm against selling guns for financial reasons.
    So, working from that bias, and assuming the "war at home" implies there's a Mrs. to keep happy, I'd suggest carry the .357 you have, and leave the 1911 with said Mrs to handle any softer/squishier "critters" that venture too close to the house.

I know, it goes against the general urge to buy a new gun.
    That's my $.02 worth.
    The critters include mountain lions, bears and lesser species (including the two-legged kind). I'm not worried about the latter. It's the former two that makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up. I've been followed by two mountain lions before while dragging my kill back to the truck. As other members have stated in other posts, that is NOT a comforting feeling. I know the 1911 will dispatch a kitty (and the lessers), whether in Colorado or NM. I don't plan to hunt with a pistol. I do, however, intend to make it home relatively unscathed if I do have a close encounter.

I'm not looking to do this for financial reasons. I agree that is a permanent solution to a short-term problem. Been there, done that and regretted it. I just can't afford to get a 6" revolver in any caliber without first selling something in the rack.

The SKS shoots pretty well - torso hits to 150 yards. She'll probably hit the same in the 200 - 250 yard range, but I've never tested her beyond 150. I'm very familiar with the .357 platform. I carried the 586 on duty for almost 8 years and won several matches with it. I do, however, feel more comfortable with the 1911. For those who remember, I go through this conundrum every year around this time. I'm always looking to improve the utility of what I've got.
    Tim
    ________
    NRA Life Member

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    NEVER trade a rifle for a pistol....or....NEVER trade a pistol for a rifle

some day, you WILL regret it (been there a few too many times)

surv

If you feel more comfortable with the 1911 you might want to look at some of the 10MM 1911s.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

I sold my AR with 2000 rounds of .223, I bought a Marlin 30-30, and a Henry Rifle in .22 mag and a lot of ammo from the trade...I'm happy.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Keep the SKS. Start putting money aside. I quit spending change, in time I was able to save $800.00 +. When you get home, just empty all the change from your pockets in a special container. Do it every day. Since I don't smoke I use my ashtray for change and empty it once in awhile when it gets full. The ashtray will hold $30.00 +.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevew View Post
    The 4 inch 357 you already have should be fine. If the SKS has become a hat rack and you want get rid of and get another gun then thats a whole different thing.
    +1. 4 inch is just fine!
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I sold my AR with 2000 rounds of .223, I bought a Marlin 30-30, and a Henry Rifle in .22 mag and a lot of ammo from the trade...I'm happy.

now THAT'S a trade.... I love 2-fers

surv

Decision

Thanks for all the responses. I've decided to keep my SKS (unless I find someone willing to pay an extreme premium) and save for another pistol. I think a more practical (and probably cheaper) acquisition will be a 9mm instead of a big bore magnum revolver. I have my wife's 4" .357 available if needed and my 1911 will dispatch anything from a 200# mountain lion and down. I have wanted a 9mm for a while, but have put all my resources into two 1911's and reloading. Thanks for your help!
    Tim
    ________
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    could a .45 slug dispatch a bear?... most likely depending on the round used and the location on the bear you hit... would certainly tick it off if not.

According to ballistic charts the .45+p and .357 mag isn't too far off in energy delivered. Your going to have more power up close with a .357

357 Mag., 140 gr. JHP/XTP 90552
    Velocity (fps) / Energy (ft-lbs)
    Muzzle 50 yd 100 yd
    1350/566 1208/454 1100/376

45 ACP+P, 230 gr. HP/XTP 9096
    Velocity (fps) / Energy (ft-lbs)
    Muzzle 50 yd 100 yd
    950/461 908/421 872/385

The above is off of Hornaday website. Remember for what you would gain in .357 mag you may loose out in other things like the 1911 holding 2 more rounds (or more depending on the mag used), faster reload time, and you already have the 1911.

Just my opinion.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Well, glad you found your solution. I've sold and traded plenty of guns over the years and no regrets. I see no sense in hanging on to something I don't use, will never use, just to fill up a slot in the safe. I'd rather get rid of it and get something I WILL use. Adding a 9mm to your collection sounds like a good move. That .357 should work well as your hunting sidearm or......... you could add a .44 magnum to the collection. Ruger & S&W have some great ones.

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    Do not sell firearms because you have a temporary cash flow issue.I had a nice collection 25 rifles ,couple pistols and guess what I got married the kids came
    no money at Christmas.You know what went for toys for 2 and 3 year old kids.
    plastic junk for my beautiful rifles over a 3 years period.It took me exactly 20 years running my own business plus working a day job to replace them.There's
    an awful feeling not having a pistol and a rifle in your house it's just plain awful. I learned the hard way,please do it another way.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links